Blizzard: Why remove a playstyle?

86 Undead Monk
DPS healing has been nerfed into the ground in 5.3. Now both Disc (atonement) and Monk (fist weaving) are no longer viable. This patch has nerfed a play style that fulfilled a much needed roll (healing) while providing enjoyment to players who prefer a dps play style.

Wac' A Mole is not for everyone. It does not take great skill. It's is just a play style that is enjoyable to some and boring to others. Please remember that this play style is important. We need this play style to keep players happy, que times down, guilds balanced, etc. Keeping this play style alive is better for the community. Even if it did 10% of the current damage but 10x the healing that would be fine as the play style would be viable. This play style needs to be competitive as a healer to fulfill a role.

Thanks

/end rant
Edited by Rottenmonk on 4/22/2013 1:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Atonement is fine.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Funny, because I always wondered why they ever introduced in the first place that abomination that is dpsing to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Atonement is literally stronger next patch than it is right now thanks to the AI fixes.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Erm...Fistweaving is ridic strong right now, and I don't think Atonement will have issues in 5.3.
Reply Quote
Funny, because I always wondered why they ever introduced in the first place that abomination that is dpsing to heal.

Your face is an abomination!

OP: Uh, nothing is being nerfed to the ground or anywhere near the ground.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
04/22/2013 12:35 PMPosted by Morenn

Your face is an abomination!

OP: Uh, nothing is being nerfed to the ground or anywhere near the ground.

*gasp*

Sorry.

I just hate, hate, hate dpsing as a healer. If I wanted to dps, I would do something like roll a mage. :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
then don't think of it as dpsing. because you're not using those skills for the dps.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
then don't think of it as dpsing. because you're not using those skills for the dps.

I think we should be able to DPS the DPS, personally.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage

You're targeting and damaging the boss. People within 40 yards get a smart heal.

To me, that's not healing - or at least its not the type of thing I signed up for when I rolled my first healer. Likewise, I certainly didn't sign up for things like having to lightning bolt a boss for mana return.

Although I totally understand people have different likes and dislikes, as the OP mentioned.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Monk
Erm...Fistweaving is ridic strong right now, and I don't think Atonement will have issues in 5.3.

Fistweaving is inferior to traditional healing in every way. It is not superior in any progressive content. Sure it might be able to beat baddies in LFR, but if you put a fistweaver and a mistweaver together, the mistweaver will own the fistweaver every time.

I don't want to see the same thing happen with disc. The play style becomes obsolete if you are doing progressive content. Don't believe me, check out the world logs.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
I don't.. think you understand why Fistweaving exists, Rotten.

Fistweaving isn't SUPPOSED to beat mistweaving. Fistweaving is POWERFUL, by a solid margin, but you don't just.. strictly fistweave. Fistweaving is 100% amazing in progressive content because you can do LARGE portions of a bosses health on fights where you need as much DPS as possible.

If you're strictly casting healing spells, yes. You'll beat any fistweaver. However you're also going to be sacrificing a large portion of your utility. The difference between fistweaving and mistweaving isn't super high at this point in time. You can still "mistweave" and "fistweave" at the same exact time as long as you have timers and a knowledge of how burst damage lines up in a fight.

And frankly? That's a problem. There's no reason I should be doing more healing than other healers and doing maybe 30-60k less than if I were strictly mistweaving while dpsing.
Edited by Mist on 4/22/2013 1:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
*gasp*

Sorry.

I just hate, hate, hate dpsing as a healer. If I wanted to dps, I would do something like roll a mage. :)

That's fine. :) On one level I agree with you.. you should not feel forced to do something you do not enjoy to be "the best you can be" at what you do enjoy doing. However, I think that should mean tweaking things so that non-AA play has similar output, not to can the AA playstyle. Same end... vastly different ways of getting there.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
Because it is completely fair that two healing specs can do non-insignificant (indeed, perhaps even required) damage to a boss during progression.... while maintaining as much (and very often MORE) healing than classes/specs that have zero damage contribution during an encounter.

Totally fair. Totally balanced. Nothing fishy at all this with scenario.

...unfortunately they haven't nerfed it to the ground/removed it. But maybe we'll get there eventually. It's always a bad idea. It is always a balance impossibility.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Atonement healing/fistweaving should be completely removed from the game until they give every other healer a means to do significant and very meaningful dps while still doing significant and very meaningful healing.

This system currently creates imbalance. Why have a straight healer when you can have one who posts similar heals while throwing out good dps? You'd be a moron raid leader if you didn't fill up on that.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
This thread is silly.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

And I hate^1,000 health bar whack-a-mole.

Why pretend you're playing an MMO when all you do is stare at a cluster of green bars?

I don't care if disc does no damage: I'd rather atonement heal doing 0 DPS and let smartheals happen than click on green bars all damn raid.
Edited by Destian on 4/22/2013 3:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I think they just need to tune it properly. If an atonement/fisteaver did about half the healing of a regular healer and half the dps of a regular dps, that would be fine. Or push the ratio a bit in either direction. However, when these specs effectively do the work of 1.5 people, then it becomes a problem. Personally, I would love a 50/50 split. There are plenty of times when I would love to run 2.5 healers (especially when the group is learning new fight mechanics).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]