Blizzard: Why remove a playstyle?

100 Blood Elf Mage
Why pretend you're playing an MMO when all you do is stare at a cluster of green bars?

My bars aren't green. :)
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't get why disc can do more damage than me, when I'm glyphed for doing damage which also reduces my healing output, yet they get to heal at the same time.

If they want this playstyle to survive they need to give every healer a way to dps.
Reply Quote
Back in Cata, I was hoping that healer DPS mechanics would evolve into mana/resource management, rather than healing production. I was hoping something like Telluric Currents would involve into an interesting playstyle where contributing some DPS would reward you with some more resources in order to get more healing output, so you'd have to make the right decision of Heal or DPS for Resources. DPS for healing sounds... like something that should have never happened, specially in a game where DPS checks are so tight in progression fights.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Funny, because I always wondered why they ever introduced in the first place that abomination that is dpsing to heal.

DPS for healing sounds... like something that should have never happened, specially in a game where DPS checks are so tight in progression fights.
Edited by Pentance on 4/22/2013 4:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Paladin
Back in Cata, I was hoping that healer DPS mechanics would evolve into mana/resource management, rather than healing production. I was hoping something like Telluric Currents would involve into an interesting playstyle where contributing some DPS would reward you with some more resources in order to get more healing output, so you'd have to make the right decision of Heal or DPS for Resources. DPS for healing sounds... like something that should have never happened, specially in a game where DPS checks are so tight in progression fights.

I agree Korghal, that would have been a very interesting direction to go. I remember back when GC used to post here he was always so down on smart heals, but then DPSing to heal gets added where you aren't even selecting an initial target to heal?

I just don't see how it can be balanced. Even for low level play, when I run a heroic for the 100th time which is more fun? Making the run faster by dpsing and the party getting auto-healed, or spamming divine light on my party who is taking almost no damage. When I participate in scenarios-- do I want to be a healer who has almost nothing to contribute or the healer that can serves as half-a-dps while providing the full benefits of having a healer along?
Reply Quote
86 Undead Monk
[quote]I just don't see how it can be balanced

If Trion can do it Blizzard can do it.

:-)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I love atonement, have since it came around in Cata or whenever it was. It would probably be best if it was a 'choice' again for those who didn't want it or fights that didn't cater to it well. I know back in DS when we had normals on farm I used it a lot, on heroic progression I didn't talent it at all to put points in other things instead. Like... train of thought, or whatever it was, can't remember.

But seriously, I love it. I'll /wrists if it totally goes away and I have to keep hitting a cheap heal like HEAL over and over and over like we did at the start of Cata.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
04/22/2013 05:03 PMPosted by Rottenmonk
[quote]I just don't see how it can be balanced

If Trion can do it Blizzard can do it.

:-)

Last time I checked, the damage part of damage to heal in Rift was pretty trivial. There's also the whole thing about them not actually trying to balance different classes/specs against each other to any sort of narrow margin. They are (or were) perfectly okay with different classes being different and you being able to make a bad spec, 2 things Blizz is doing their damnedest to remove from WoW...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
personaly id much prefer to hit the boss with a few smites to heal everyone instead of watching them all stand around my lightwell and die.
Reply Quote
This thread is starting to sound like some whinny mage that thinks mages need a tank spec.
Not all classes can be equal the game would get boring. So what if some can dps/heal and others cant, I dont have a range dps spec as a monk so maybe i should write a retard thread to complain about it.

No one but druids have an instant cast mount, now there is one that maybe we should complain about.

Maybe warriors and DKs should get a heal spec. NOT

Wait i got it warlocks should get a spell that can kill every boss in a raid in one shot then they can just solo everything and get all the loot they want, and we can all be warlocks.

Maybe we should THINK about it.......... maybe they should make a game were every class is different........ were each class has a special roll to play, so people will talk and work together for the sake of entertainment, a challenge, and to full fill our competitive spirits.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

No one but druids have an instant cast mount, now there is one that maybe we should complain about.

Last I checked travel form isn't 100%. GTFO of here with your junk.

I am not surprised such an uneducated post came from area 52 realm.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Atonement healing/fistweaving should be completely removed from the game until they give every other healer a means to do significant and very meaningful dps while still doing significant and very meaningful healing.

This system currently creates imbalance. Why have a straight healer when you can have one who posts similar heals while throwing out good dps? You'd be a moron raid leader if you didn't fill up on that.

Why do you have so much !@#$% envy RESTO DRUID TONY? I can't pop heart of the wild and do mad burst deeps when its needed now can I? I have seen resto burst to almost 300k with the HOTW up. most of the fights in here are all about burst and not sustained anyway. Don't blame your under utilization of your class on my full utilization of mine.

ALso, You havenotCLeared FL,DS, OR even MV on heroic. that says alot about the caliber of player you are/
Edited by Teufelhunden on 4/23/2013 5:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I don't get why disc can do more damage than me, when I'm glyphed for doing damage which also reduces my healing output, yet they get to heal at the same time.

If they want this playstyle to survive they need to give every healer a way to dps.

Please no. I'm so tired of the homogenization in this game.

We may as well give every healer Bubbles, Tank CD's and the same mobility. Strengths and Weaknesses make MMO's interesting. DPS from a healer is Utility and thus should be the looked at the same as other Utility functions and not just given to every spec because some healers refuse to use off specs or because they think things aren't fair.
Edited by Indyana on 4/23/2013 7:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
04/22/2013 01:57 PMPosted by Morenn
However, I think that should mean tweaking things so that non-AA play has similar output, not to can the AA playstyle.

I thought that was what they ARE doing. They're not nerfing atonement BY 90%, they're nerfing it TO 90% of what it is now. In other words, to make it more in line with other healers, or maybe slightly lower so you want to only do it during low/moderate damage and pull out your other heals (buffed by 25%!) for burn phases. That's not "nerfing it into the ground" or "removing the playstyle".

And it's still a powerful tool for things like Elegon orbs, where a tight burst DPS check coincides with low incoming damage. It's just not strictly better than every other healer in every fight ever. Ideally, more healers would have *something* useful to do in that kind of situation, even if they're not all as good at it as monks or disc priests.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/22/2013 04:54 PMPosted by Pentance
Funny, because I always wondered why they ever introduced in the first place that abomination that is dpsing to heal.

DPS for healing sounds... like something that should have never happened, specially in a game where DPS checks are so tight in progression fights.

this
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
04/22/2013 12:21 PMPosted by Rottenmonk
nerfed into the ground

20%

04/22/2013 12:21 PMPosted by Rottenmonk
nerfed into the ground

lol
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
actually, smite is going to do 28% less healing due to the glyph chance, and penance will do ~20% less healing when used offensively. It's a huge hit to atonement on fights where atonement wasn't strong, and it will mean precisely 0 on fights where atonement already is strong (such as horridon) since there's a hard cap of how much atonement heals for based on your health, and fights like horridon will easily reach that cap even with the nerfs.

So instead of having fights where atonement shines, and fights where atonement is good/viable compared to holy, you'll have fights where atonement still shines, and fights where you probably shouldn't be using this playstyle, because it won't compare (and if you think atonement doing 22% less is still going to compare to holy on fights without damage buffs...)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
04/23/2013 07:42 AMPosted by Jarshie

this

Why?

It's a matter of balance more than the whole concept being wrong. DPS from a healer is Utility and the task of the devs is to find the sweet spot where the added damage and reduced healing are in line with the Utility that would be lost by bringing such a healer.

It's just numbers and I think that's what the devs are figuring out.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
IMO, the only classes that should be "Battle Healers" are Monks and Holy Paladins.

Monks, simply because they're a kung fu melee class anyways and Paladins because they wear plate and carry shields. It makes no sense for Paladins to be standing in the back with the clothies.

Make them like Warhammer Online's Warrior Priests, where they whack bosses and heal allies for damage + x, or have attacks that debuff the boss and buff the tank.

Of course, to make this truly work, Blizzard would have to implement WAR's dual targeting system, where you can select a hostile target for your attacks, and a friendly target for your buffs/heals/cleanses. Alternately, have abilities that affect Target-of-Target.

IMO, dual targeting should be as standard in MMOs as LFG and battlegrounds.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
IMO, the only classes that should be "Battle Healers" are Monks and Holy Paladins.

Monks, simply because they're a kung fu melee class anyways and Paladins because they wear plate and carry shields. It makes no sense for Paladins to be standing in the back with the clothies.

Make them like Warhammer Online's Warrior Priests, where they whack bosses and heal allies for damage + x, or have attacks that debuff the boss and buff the tank.

Of course, to make this truly work, Blizzard would have to implement WAR's dual targeting system, where you can select a hostile target for your attacks, and a friendly target for your buffs/heals/cleanses. Alternately, have abilities that affect Target-of-Target.

IMO, dual targeting should be as standard in MMOs as LFG and battlegrounds.

While I agree that Pally's make sense the problem is then you have two melee healers.

It's obvious someone at WOW played Rift and liked the Chloromancer. That's how we got Atonement Priests. There's a place for the play style and it can be balanced. One melee healer and one ranged healer that DPS to heal is plenty.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]