New Scam

1 Dwarf Shaman
I got a whisper from a random level one while doing dailies that I was to receive a free specral tiger mount if i entered in a long string of numbers at a blizzard spin off site. The whisper went as follows:

<Busy>[Blizznews] whispers: Congratulations! Receive a free World of Warcraft Mount: Reins of the Spectral Tiger Key:9620577358008886776894060 (log in) at [EDIT] I cant post the link apparently so I removed it, but it tries to mimic a US Blizz store.

I'm not sure how new this is or if the WoW community is aware of it, but I wanted to let everyone know just in case there is someone gullible enough to try it.
Edited by Chopkick on 4/24/2013 11:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
you should probably delete that link.
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Shaman
from the post? I posted it so people would know where NOT to go : /
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
Delete the link, please. It is against the rules.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Chopkick, I hope you filed a ticket to report this.

And please delete the link.
Edited by Moonphyre on 4/24/2013 11:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
delete the link, it's a no no, and you're just doing the gold buyer provider hackers job.

Not only that, this isn't a new scam.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
When I was a noob at the game, I got a whisper from someone saying that they were a GM and I had to visit a certain website and type in my username and password. I believed it... Hey! It's not my fault that I was new to the game! It looked just like WoW's website.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
You can always tell its a fake when its something like

"blizzard.LEETSPEEKKGOEZHERE.MOARGULLIBLESTUFF.com"
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
It doesn't sound like a new one.
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Shaman
I didnt GO to the link, and I POSTED the link so people would know NOT to go there....holly hell.
If i was going to do the scammer a favor i would have named my post HEY CHECK THIS OUT! not "New Scam"

But okay w/e glad people already know about it.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Right-click the guy's name and report for Cheating.
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Shaman
I reported him as well, I just wanted to try and let the community know about it in case it was new.
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
I didnt GO to the link, and I POSTED the link so people would know NOT to go there....holly hell.
If i was going to do the scammer a favor i would have named my post HEY CHECK THIS OUT! not "New Scam"

The reason it is disallowed is because scammers/gold-sellers have often posted fake "omg look at this!" type posts with such links. They've even done them in subtle style like "Can you believe Blizzard hasn't stopped this? wwww.gimmeurkeys.com"

It is best to describe everything about it, without helping them.

Also you can email the full info to hacks@blizzard.com
Reply Quote
97 Gnome Mage
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/reporting-hack-programs-and-hosting-websites
Reply Quote
23 Human Warrior
It's not really a new scam.

But you don't have to post the link. Really, if -anyone- sends you a message in-game to "GO HERE FOR FREE STUFF!" you shouldn't go to that link, for no matter what they're offering. Sadly, gullible isn't in the dictionary, and a lot of people will check.
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Shaman

The reason it is disallowed is because scammers/gold-sellers have often posted fake "omg look at this!" type posts with such links. They've even done them in subtle style like "Can you believe Blizzard hasn't stopped this? wwww.gimmeurkeys.com"

It is best to describe everything about it, without helping them.

Also you can email the full info to hacks@blizzard.com

Ty I took a screen shot so I will e-mail that to them as well
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
If someone isn't smart enough to realize what it means when the special GM conversation box didn't pop up and the guy talking to you can't construct a sentence in English then honesty they deserve whatever they get.
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Shaman
It's not really a new scam.

But you don't have to post the link. Really, if -anyone- sends you a message in-game to "GO HERE FOR FREE STUFF!" you shouldn't go to that link, for no matter what they're offering. Sadly, gullible isn't in the dictionary, and a lot of people will check.

gul·li·ble [guhl-uh-buhl] Show IPA
adjective
easily deceived or cheated.

lol
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I thought the new scam was mass-invites on calendars for the next 12 months with links contained in them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]