How Do You Guys Do It?

90 Human Warrior
How do you guys deal with the people in PuGs. Granted, I shouldn't use randoms as the only source, for Tanks are useful for other things, but my God, how do you it? I'm trying to practice on Tanking, for I have never had one. I usually create a low level Tank and stop because of the people in randoms. I told myself, I'm going to get this one up, and I'm going to Tank. I have repeatedly put people who irritate me on my ignore list without warning. I've slowly learned not to fight back but to show the group that I'm "laughing it off" and continue to progress through the dungeon because it's what I came here to do. It's quite stressful for me because I feel like I'm not learning anything but taunting off of people pulling for me. I mean, lately, I've just let them have the mobs they've aggroed, and I can solo one pack of trash by myself. Bosses are a struggle for me. I need at least a healer with me, so I can kill it. IDK how you guys handle it. Maybe you quested up, and that's probably my mistake. I'm leveling through randoms, and I meet all kinds of different people. I'm not saying all of them are bad, just most of them are bad.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
The fact that this is the topic of just about every fifth thread posted on this forum is a huge ego boost.

Since your question was rhetorical I thought I'd just reply with an observation. :P
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I'm sorry, I didn't realize my thread topic was popular. Granted, I browsed briefly to see anything similar, I didn't. For in fact, I am being serious and wanted other experienced Tanks to help me out.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Aha, well that's different.

Your strategy of letting the dps die to mobs they pull is a common one; if it suits you then I recommend it.

I actually enjoy leveling through tanking randoms. Once you develop a strategy for dealing with the inevitable bullcrap involved it can actually be pretty satisfying.

Myself, I just keep an eye on my healer and make sure they're not struggling, then I set off at as fast a pace as I feel comfortable going. ~Most~ of the time the party is sufficiently entertained.

In the end I think the essence of survival as a tank in the random dungeon finder is that rather than trying to avoid fallout from jerks or trolls, just plan your reaction to these people for when they do rear their ugly heads, because it is an unavoidable part of a tank's life. Especially while leveling.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Another thing that blackfeather touched on was worrying about your healer. Always pay attention to your healer. The dps aren't that important. Once you learn that and just roll with everything else tanking, especially with friends, is extremely fun.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Yeah, I'm always trying my best to communicate with my healer as much as possible like "ready" and "OK pulling from here to here" etc. Sometimes I get healers that stick with the DPS, so I'm in a stuck situation where I'm not enjoying myself with this group anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
"Why do you care what other people think?"
- Dr. Richard Feynman
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
"Why do you care what other people think?"
- Dr. Richard Feynman

It's not about why I care what they think, it's more of why aren't they allowing me to do my job?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I've leveled 2 toons as tank/heals primarily through dungeons, usually as tank, as well as 3 healer toons. The majority of people in groups have been at least civil and competent. The ones who stood out as doing a great job and who were friendly, I added via battletag/bnet, and I still play with several of them. I very rarely get yelled at, even when I do somehow mess up.

My strategy was to usually try to queue with a friend if possible (sometimes I didn't know anyone with alts in my level range). If I got a decent or better group, I usually chain-queued with them. If a specific dungeon had mobs with particularly annoying abilities (stuns, fears, or knockbacks), or when I was first practicing my mob kiting, I specifically asked people not to pull for me. If someone was being particularly obnoxious about it, I also spoke up, otherwise, I just played roundup as needed, and tried to be fast enough not to let them pull before I got there. I chit-chat a bit, compliment people if they have good utility (stuns/interrupts/etc.) or unusually high DPS, commiserate when something they specifically mention doesn't drop, and so forth.

Still had a few incidents, like when people grabbed 4 or 5 other packs plus a boss with a MC - I rounded them all up, then got MC'd. So, my nice neat stack of mobs made a beeline for the healer while I went RAAAWWWRRR! and killed a dps or two. <.<
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
DPS don't really understand why tanks (or healers, for that matter) do what we have to do, or why it's better for them to listen to and follow us rather than going off and soloing stuff by themselves. I can tell you, though, that it gets a lot easier towards the higher levels, when the mobs will kill the DPS much faster. Around 60-70 it's not great because of all the DKs, but certainly at 90 tanks are more appreciated for what we do. You'll always run into jerks who don't know what they're doing (lfr all the time..), but if you can manage to go with friends or guildies you'll have a way easier and more fun time.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Thank you for all the suggestions. I usually am by myself and try my best to do what I can for the group. I'm not discounting good groups I have gotten. I've gotten some, just the bad outweigh the good.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Joke with them, the meanie heads don't matter. If you can have fun with them then they do matter because they make the game better.

Example, last run I had to break some poor boys heart (offered to have my babies). I am actually a married guy.

The conversation started over an argument about someone standing on a bomb and getting dead. Standard LOL NOOB kind of bs.

It ended with a great set of runs.

It is a game. Have fun with it. Don't let the poo poo heads take that from you.

If they pull but you can have fun with it, the pulling does not matter

If they cause a wipe but you can have fun with it, the wipe does not matter

If they are keyboard turning but you can have fun with it, the noob movement does not matter.

If they ninja gear but you can have fun with it, the ninja does not matter.

If they are trolling, well ask Fean how to deal with that, it can be fun too.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
I don't wear a helmet when I tank.

I don't see monsters or bad players as much anymore. Now I see lots of cupcakes and butterflies.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
If this is your first tank, rest assured — sheer necessity will win you a lot more respect at max level. Just tough it out, expect players to take advantage of the ease of dungeons (perhaps being inconsiderate of you), and learn what you can.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Jack and coke.

Lots of jack and coke.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
You are learning why the dps queue is so long at 90 when there is no shortage of tanks. The best advice for you is to grow thick skin. Don't let them get to you. You don't know them. You will probably never see them again. Don't give them the satisfaction of of knowing they got to you.

Just finish your run and move on. If you really want to get your point across without saying a word one trick I use is if a dps runs ahead of me and pulls I run right past them and pull the next pack. Either they can handle it and the run goes faster or they die and figure it out. You win either way.

If you get a really bad pug just remember that anybody that mean is probably one of the people that the rest of us laugh at while people watching at Wal-mart, Costco or whatever big store chain you have where you live. Laugh at them to yourself and move on.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I disagree that it gets better at 90. Frankly, the trash (which is generally what people pull rather than bosses) have a lot more nasty tricks up their sleeve in Stratholme and a couple of other vanilla dungeons, and some of the Outlands/Cata release heroics/Zandoms than any of the level 90 heroics except the sha in the back end of SP Monastery. Yes, people can generally survive if they pull in any of them, especially if the healer helps them out. In general, the MOP heroics are tuned more lightly than quite a few leveling dungeons.

At level 35, you're just now getting your tanking aoe tools. In some cases, it may speed things up to deliberately have a ranged dps pull for you, especially if they can silence/interrupt to get casters into melee range more readily.

In most groups I've been in, people are generally pretty polite about not running ahead and pulling, especially if the tank asks (whether I'm tanking or healing). Some tanks do get into snail mode, and people start getting antsy though. I've even seen a lot of people here in the tanking forum brag that they pull on their healer/dps alts unless the tank is up to their standards for pacing, then complain that other people pull for them. <.<
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
i too check rerolled a tank because tired of healing all the time currentl level 30's and yes it is true people have such big ego's thinking they can handle a lot of mobs yet end up dead in the end. I usually just ignore them like if they tell me to pull faster i don't. why? because what makes you think the healer can handle? i have had to heal myself quiete often because the healer was dpsing instead -.-" ontop of that pulling more won't solve the problem that you can't even down them fast. if you can barely 1-2 shot the mobs i will definetly not pull more unless needed.

what helps too is if you don't let them die regardless that they are idiots and usually will pull for you. i usually tell warlocks and hunters to take off their voidwalker and growl they usually don't so i end up letting their pet die due to taunting off. i telll them 3 times and they still don't listen.

at some point EVERY tank loses aggro to monsters this is natural. our job in the game is to take the damage and survive we can't constantly be running around taking aggro from people who taunt it off like douches our taunts have cd's so people are bound to get hit one point all you need to do is simply try to get the aggro back ASAP thats it. especially if on your healer. ALL classes have 1 skill that can prevent getting hit chances are they don't even use it so that is on their own fault if they end up dead if the tank has awareness.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
The dungeons are so easy that I look forward to showing how awesome I am when a derp dps needs to be carried or facepulls a few mobs. Tanking mobs is easy, tanking puggers is the real challenge.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]