Nerf Atonement, Make Disc a Full Spec

90 Draenei Priest
Discipline seems to be too-heavily favoring Atonement right now. Even after the PTR nerf to 90% of dmg done Atonement just plays too great a role in the spec in my opinion.

I would like to see Inner Will reduce the GCD of instant-cast spells by .5 seconds in addition to its current status. I would be okay if this required a glyph.

I would also like to see Borrowed Time grant 20% spell haste/reduced cast time and stack 2 times.

I would like to see Train of Thought allow Heal, Flash Heal, and Prayer of Healing to reduce the cooldown of Inner Focus instead of being restricted to Greater Heal.

I would like to see Strength of Soul also include Prayer of Healing as a spell that reduces the duration of Weakened Soul.

I think these changes would allow room to nerf Atonement to 50% of dmg done and help to make Disc feel like a full spec instead of a two-hit wonder (Spirit-Shell + Atonement). I think a glyph to reduce the dmg of your Smite, Holy Fire, and Penance by 25% but increase the healing to 100% of dmg done would be suitable.

On a side-note, I would like to see Glyph of Reflective Shield become baseline and a new glyph introduced that would cause PW: Shield cast on other players to also reflect 45% of dmg back to the attacker, and allow these reflected attacks to generate Evangelism stacks.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
For every priest that feels the way you do on the atonement issue, I'm sure there are 20 who feel differently.

Priest healing via atonement has by far been my favorite change to the class, permanently weaning me off of resto druids to the point that I no longer play them regularly. Being able to put out any meaningful damage while still not being incompetent healingwise during a low damage phase has been one of the highlights of the class and the spec.

Without this, what do we have? Get turned back into bubble bots? Oh good heavens, look at those absorbs!

Turns us from a two hit wonder back to the only gimmick we had going for us since disc had Divine Spirit as it's best talent.

Blizzard's argument seems to be that the way priests are set up now, a bad player can be nearly as effective as a good player with minimal effort. While I have some issue with this being THE reason to nerf us, I can accept it as a valid point. Your argument, however, based on feeling is just as worthless as my argument, also based on feeling.

I feel fun playing a priest. I enjoy seeing big yellow numbers closely followed by big green numbers, efficient because I trust my fellow healers to be able to pick up any slack caused by me dpsing. I enjoy being just that tiny bit extra dps that actually helps down a boss that we work on for 3 raid weeks, without forcing multiple changes in the raid composition.

I won't address your other points, because they are all based on the acceptance of a massive nerf to one of the most fun parts of playing a disc priest. I'm slightly annoyed by topics like these, you clamor for attention offering to sacrifice our uniqueness to make us more beige, more of a basic, run-of-the-mill healer.
Edited by Music on 4/25/2013 3:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
. I'm slightly annoyed by topics like these, you clamor for attention offering to sacrifice our uniqueness to make us more beige, more of a basic, run-of-the-mill healer.

Expressing an opinion dictates to a certain extent that you clamor for attention. There would be no point in posting an idea if you did not wish for anyone to read it. In that sense, the person behind every single post in these forums is clamoring for attention. Don't be so bitter because I have an opinion that differs from yours.

Atonement is a fun mechanic, but the bar was set too high from start. For similar reasons why Vengeance should not stack in PVP to give tanks great survival and damage, Disc should not be given the best of both worlds when using Atonement. Some sacrifice to either damage or healing should be present, though I do feel the player should be able to control which aspect is being sacrificed.
Reply Quote
Disc is a full spec. If you really don't want to 'abuse' Atonement just get up to 5 stacks of Evangelism then wait for Archangel.

A lot of the changes you propose while interesting aren't necessary. I for one do not want to see us returned to the days of being bubble machines.

And I don't like being that guy, but you don't have much normal raiding experience on said disc priest. So, how can you base things off of lfr, which I'm pretty sure no one really cares about, to impact other raiders?

Yes, there are fights where Atonement should be the #1 go to spell to use. And honestly, you're really gimping yourself if you don't use your entire move pool the best way possible.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Priest healing via atonement has by far been my favorite change to the class, permanently weaning me off of resto druids to the point that I no longer play them regularly. Being able to put out any meaningful damage while still not being incompetent healingwise during a low damage phase has been one of the highlights of the class and the spec.

This will still be the case even with the nerf.

Without this, what do we have? Get turned back into bubble bots? Oh good heavens, look at those absorbs!

Open your spellbook and look at the rest of the spells you have to work with. Atonement is part of an entire toolkit, always has been since it came out, and still will be.

I feel fun playing a priest. I enjoy seeing big yellow numbers closely followed by big green numbers, efficient because I trust my fellow healers to be able to pick up any slack caused by me dpsing. I enjoy being just that tiny bit extra dps that actually helps down a boss that we work on for 3 raid weeks, without forcing multiple changes in the raid composition.

Big green numbers for something that is meant to be something for low damage is exactly the problem. Aside from a 10% nerf to penance's damage you will contribute the same damage anyway.

I won't address your other points, because they are all based on the acceptance of a massive nerf to one of the most fun parts of playing a disc priest. I'm slightly annoyed by topics like these, you clamor for attention offering to sacrifice our uniqueness to make us more beige, more of a basic, run-of-the-mill healer.

Discipline was not a basic run of the mill healer even before bubble botting or Atonement ever became a thing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
04/25/2013 12:43 PMPosted by Vyli
And I don't like being that guy, but you don't have much normal raiding experience on said disc priest.

It's not a problem, it's a valid argument. This is just something I've noticed while tinkering with different playstyles and setups. But the fact that Music, a Priest who does have some raid experience, is getting defensive because she enjoys being able to simply DPS and clear bosses would seem to validate my argument to some degree.

And honestly, you're really gimping yourself if you don't use your entire move pool the best way possible.

You're absolutely right. I'm not faulting anyone for using Atonement. I use it too. I'm faulting Blizzard for poorly designing Atonement by making it too beneficial.

Look at the number of benefits we gain from Atonement. Added dps, quick smart-heals that require no decision-making, Archangel, Train of Thought, mana regen with Solace...you would have to be a fool not to use it.

I just think too much emphasis has been placed on Atonement and the rest of the spec has been left in mediocrity because of it.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
It's a bit disingenuous to say that Discipline is not a spec. Rather, it is a spec that is not operating at its fullest potential.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Monk
Priest healing from Atonement is what got my friends to bring me back to wow.

Back to Rift, until things are balanced and either Fistweaving or Atonement is viable.

After all I still Rift full time. It currently has better raids and heroic dungeons. No need to remove a play style because you don't like it.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Back to Rift, until things are balanced and either Fistweaving or Atonement is viable.

Both of these are viable. If you mean using them to the point where you ignore everything else then you probably won't ever be coming back.

After all I still Rift full time. It currently has better raids and heroic dungeons. No need to remove a play style because you don't like it.

Nobody doesn't like Atonement. People don't like how often it is being used now compared to Cataclysm.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Priest
Priest healing from Atonement is what got my friends to bring me back to wow.

Can I have your stuff now? By replying to two of your posts we're now friends.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Well, I have played disc for a very long time (I started back in the day just cuz I liked the look of the bubble, but I was a noob). I hated what they did to disc in cataclysm but so far this xpac has piqued my interest in disc again.

I do like the changes the OP suggested however I think that atonement healing is in a good spot, depending on how you play. Some rely more heavily on atonement than others, I simply use it to keep up evangelism and during periods of little damage, otherwise I am using my shields and more direct heals.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Monk
The regular heals need buffed a bit. Both should be equally viable.

Even now I don't rely on Atonement. I still use Power Word Shield, SS, Flash heal in dire situations, etc. It's just the variety that I like. I also feel that Renew heals > Smite, so I generally use that on the tank as well.

Just looking at bars is not fun. To me it's mind numbing.
Edited by Rottenmonk on 4/25/2013 4:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
The regular heals need buffed a bit. Both should be equally viable.

Even now I don't rely on Atonement. I still use Power Word Shield, SS, Flash heal in dire situations, etc. It's just the variety that I like. I also feel that Renew heals > Smite, so I generally use that on the tank as well.

Just looking at bars is not fun. To me it's mind numbing.

You're right. Variety is great.

Which is exactly why Atonement-based healing is receiving a well-needed nerf.
Reply Quote
Why? Direct healing needed a buff.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest

Discipline is strong, which is why addressing the issue of Atonement being used so much with a buff to other spells is the wrong thing to do.

The numbers put out by single target heals aren't lacking anyway in my opinion, it's a combination of the ease of using Atonement instead and the fact that you need to put up Grace to have a fully effective single target heal on anyone in the raid. It doesn't help that Heal/Greater Heal have longer cast times compared to Atonement spells either.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest

If it needs one, it isn't much. And buffing it would mean Disc would be excellent in just about every way. Sounds good, but that means we'd be considered essential to any raid.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
PW:Shield spam is already pretty viable. IW doesn't need a buff.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
First off let me start by saying i love the atonement state as of now because i raid 10s and im the 3rd healer now. i spend my time maximizing atonement as i should be.

But now the other side. it needs nerfed and i cant wait for it. Im tired of seeing nothing but disc priests. and most dont know how to play the spec or class outside of mop which has been either just spam poh/ss on cd or spam atonement. Those who think this nerf will make us weak obviously havent played much of disc outside this xpac. we are a very strong spec that brings a ton of utility to a raid and will still be very strong come 5.3.

A lot of you who decided to roll fotm healer will need to either go holy, go back to another toon or learn how to really play disc the way its meant to be played.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm not sure why atonement couldn't be its own sub-spec: why not flesh out a more complex rotation for atonement-oriented priest healers?

Anyhow, if the changes go through as announced in 5.3, does this suggest a shift back into mastery and more PW:S?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Discipline seems to be too-heavily favoring Atonement right now. Even after the PTR nerf to 90% of dmg done Atonement just plays too great a role in the spec in my opinion.

I would like to see Inner Will reduce the GCD of instant-cast spells by .5 seconds in addition to its current status. I would be okay if this required a glyph.

I would also like to see Borrowed Time grant 20% spell haste/reduced cast time and stack 2 times.

I would like to see Train of Thought allow Heal, Flash Heal, and Prayer of Healing to reduce the cooldown of Inner Focus instead of being restricted to Greater Heal.

I would like to see Strength of Soul also include Prayer of Healing as a spell that reduces the duration of Weakened Soul.

I think these changes would allow room to nerf Atonement to 50% of dmg done and help to make Disc feel like a full spec instead of a two-hit wonder (Spirit-Shell + Atonement). I think a glyph to reduce the dmg of your Smite, Holy Fire, and Penance by 25% but increase the healing to 100% of dmg done would be suitable.

On a side-note, I would like to see Glyph of Reflective Shield become baseline and a new glyph introduced that would cause PW: Shield cast on other players to also reflect 45% of dmg back to the attacker, and allow these reflected attacks to generate Evangelism stacks.

*Buffs the hell out of priests to justify the nerf to atonement*.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]