Superheroes & villains

90 Human Hunter

Am I the only one who thinks the Sha is really Aku?

It does bear a striking resemblance, but it doesn't have his GREAT FLAMING EYEBROWS.

And none of the Sha are voiced by Mako, but the mental image is EPIC.

And the image of a Saurok Samurai with a Magic Sword.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
My thoughts pretty much mirror yours Viezra. As a kid I really loved the violence of Spawn and the whole war on earth between heaven and hell seemed really cool to me but it is hard to keep something like that going forever or it just starts to get silly. Ghost Rider was also a favorite of mine for very much the same reasons.

I like Batman in a world without other superheroes. I like him and his setting as a stand alone thing much like Nolen's vision in the new Batman trilogy.

As for Villains I enjoyed Venom, Joker, and Magneto. It is really odd I like Magneto so much because like you I hate the X-men. I hate Wolverine most of all!! To me Wolverine is the ultimate Mary Sue character and the ultimate marketing gimmick! If Marvel wants to push something they just attach Wolverine to it and the fans will buy it.

I stopped reading comics a few years ago but I think the only characters I feel lasting fondness for are Iron Man and Batman.
Reply Quote
Deadpool

Mr Freeze
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Favorite villain?

I'm really happy for you Heath Ledger, and I'm sure you're in a better place-

BUT MARK HAMILL IS THE BEST JOKER OF ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Favorite comic-like villain? Doctor Horrible. Hands down.
For hero, as a kid it was Spiderman. Now? I don't really have one. It's a bit meta, but I think the Pythagorean character (Mike) from Somethingpositive is pretty cool. So is Punchline from Super Stupor.
Edited by Teryáni on 4/25/2013 12:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
As much as I enjoy the story lines and styles of comic book characters, I rarely dedicate time to physical print. A shame, I suppose, as there are plenty of good comics out there that I'll never get to see.

Most of my love comes from the Saturday Morning Cartoon Age, so consider my views colored two times over with that filter. That said, I'm a huge fan of both Heath Ledger and Mark Hamil as the Joker. I love them equally, for the same reason: They add character to the guy. Mark's laugh alone defines the Joker for me, though the delivery of his off-beat lines sells it just as much. Ledger does a darker, grittier Joker, perfectly in tune with the re-boot's tone. This newer Joker is less wacky and more of a anarchistic murderer. Plenty of other batman villains caught my eye, but they just don't get the iconic love that everyone's favorite Killer Clown is slathered in. And later in life, when I was old enough to have navigated the hurricane that is teenaged puberty, the over-sexualized female cast lost a lot of interest.

On a side note: Deadpool's another personal favorite, for reasons that are made abundantly clear in the video that Vi linked earlier.
Reply Quote

Victor Fries is quite possibly one of the most well-written and tragic villans ever, especially if using the reference material from the Animated Series. He was just a normal man who made a bad choice in a desperate bid to save his wife Nora; and though he was wrong and wronged in turn, it did not make him the cold, unfeeling man he is now. He is, however, one of the first villans I actually felt sorry for, because some could just as easily have made the choices he did, and the wrong decisions he made.

I really don't think you can say Freeze was in the wrong until after he became mutated. Before that, he was just going over-budget on a science project and his boss go POed.

On a side note: Deadpool's another personal favorite, for reasons that are made abundantly clear in the video that Vi linked earlier.

We've talked about what happens when you refer to me as "Vi."
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
We've talked about what happens when you refer to me as "Vi."

Is it a...

*sunglasses*

Vendetta for Vi?

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH
Reply Quote
You're next.
Reply Quote
Viezra is a Virtual Intelligence.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
You're next.

You're just jealous.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Statesman. Sister Psyche. Synapse. Positron. Back-Alley Brawler. Or anyone else from the Freedom Phalanx.

/cries City of Heroes tears
Reply Quote
Statesman. Sister Psyche. Synapse. Positron. Back-Alley Brawler. Or anyone else from the Freedom Phalanx.

Oh Paragon, we hardly knew ye.
Reply Quote

Ah, City of Heroes. If it never shut down, I would have never returned to WoW.

@Artificial Intel

To be honest, Statesman was an abomination. Merging Superman with Captain America and endorsing him with the powers of Zeus... Ugh. Him and Lord Recluse were cringe-worthy. I was just getting into the fifth tier of the Incarnate system, too.

Hamidon will always be the best enemy.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Well, superman isn't THAT powerful. Flash beat him more than once in races. Except those for charities. Superman is only really powerful near the sun.

Except if the superman we are talking about is Superman Prime. Boy, that guy is simply ludicrous. He would probably win a fight against a omnipotent god, just because.

Flash, on the other way, it's absolutely ridiculous himself. He's even more powerful than superman actually. He's faster than instantaneous teleportation and is immortal. Because he can outrun death. Literally.

But yeah, joker and batman have a great relationship dynamic. Killing joke opening is hilarious.

I can't think of a single reason not to like deadpool. He's awesome.

Most of the non-super heroes (or atleast without innate super powers) like iron man, captain american and batman are pretty cool. Mostly due to how it's somewhat easier to relate to "normal" people than to super heroes.

Going for the less "super" spectrum of super heroes, the Watchmen are pretty awesome.
Edited by Kalad on 4/25/2013 5:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Only reason I like Deadpool is because he's one of those characters who has no idea what they want, know they serve no purpose in life, and are simply trying to 'fit in'. But his critical thinking and long term planning/improv skills are amazing.

Superman Prime doesn't exist to me.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I.... I don't like Batman.

I know, I know. I'm probably like, the only one.

I just don't dig the characters who are consumed by angst.

I like Batman a lot. I also like characters who are consumed by angst. The whole recent noir story was nothing but Enekie angst!

But I enjoy Batman because every battle is a philosophical argument. Every villain has a clearly defined position that they create through their crimes. Batman is always the retort.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I like Batman a lot. I also like characters who are consumed by angst. The whole recent noir story was nothing but Enekie angst!

But I enjoy Batman because every battle is a philosophical argument. Every villain has a clearly defined position that they create through their crimes. Batman is always the retort.

Even Calendar Man?
Edited by Kalad on 4/25/2013 5:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest

I guess, for me, it just gets to the point where I don't find it realistic. I like angst in a character- but when practically every page is them being a angst bucket spilling their angst all over the place creating puddles of angst to slip in I find myself getting bored and finding my suspension of disbelief broken.

I mean, if you have been fighting crime for nearly ten years and someone is about to destroy the city, I think at that point you do your job and you find ways to cope, otherwise a person would have broken down and become a empty shell of a person at some point.

As someone who struggles with mental health myself, and has studied it and has a great variety of craziness in my family, well, it just strikes me as beyond my comprehension that Batman would even be alive at this point and still doing the exact same thing (see my previous gripe about Comics never changing). Which in other news is why I thought the ending of the Dark Knight Rises was realistic.

And perhaps I should clarify, because I do read some pretty dark stuff fairly often- but that stuff is usually self contained and the sum of my time spent on it, or the sum of the character's life, is not a huge chunk of time. Frick, "The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight In Heaven" is more angsty than Batman could ever dream of being, and it's one of my favorite short story collections of all time.

But it took me a week to read the entire collection, and each story was self contained. And some stories were sad and playful both, and some had a tinge of hope and maybe even healing. They weren't continuously angst angst angst for decades. Because eventually, something HAS to give.

The problem with comics is that when something does give, the status quo is returned by the next issue.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I guess, for me, it just gets to the point where I don't find it realistic. I like angst in a character- but when practically every page is them being a angst bucket spilling their angst all over the place creating puddles of angst to slip in I find myself getting bored and finding my suspension of disbelief broken.

I mean, if you have been fighting crime for nearly ten years and someone is about to destroy the city, I think at that point you do your job and you find ways to cope, otherwise a person would have broken down and become a empty shell of a person at some point.

True. And this is an issue with serials: if you keep going at full-throttle emotional outpouring, the audience gets exhausted, but if you just go through the motions, then the emotional stakes get quite low.

As someone who struggles with mental health myself, and has studied it and has a great variety of craziness in my family, well, it just strikes me as beyond my comprehension that Batman would even be alive at this point and still doing the exact same thing (see my previous gripe about Comics never changing). Which in other news is why I thought the ending of the Dark Knight Rises was realistic.

I believe the point that many of Batman's villains make is that he's just as crazy as they are by this point. His "coping method" is basically insanity.

The problem with comics is that when something does give, the status quo is returned by the next issue.

Yeah. Sigh.

Of course, I'm not hugely invested in Batman. My understanding of his stuff comes from a few key graphic novels (like A Serious House on Serious Earth) and the Arkham games, which I played primarily for the stealth (go figure).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]