Leveling and you

39 Blood Elf Hunter
Hey, long time reader, first time poster. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how leveling affects your character.

How does the process of leveling affect your character that you're roleplaying. What sort of experiences would your character have had from the leveling process? Obviously, the leveling process is like going back in time, so if someone's character didn't participate in the Northrend campaign (WoTLK) what would have they experienced while going through the leveling process if anything at all. Is it more like, "poof, now I'm a level xx character?"
Edited by Iodiriel on 4/23/2013 12:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
I think you might need to be more specific.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Time is basically something you don't really pay much attention to. In that you are basically free to have the process affect the character in a way that is meaningful to you. Since we are all kind of stuck in the same boat as far as what has occurred and what has not.

You can choose to have your character be in the present time. That is all the lore that has happened in the past expansions is already known. You might find a way to explain what your character has been doing before they decide to take up the class you have chosen. For instance you are a Sindorei hunter. You can explain your low level by saying you were busy with family matters, and only recently taken up the training.

As you reach the higher levels and get to experience the more recent events it is easier to say that your character is participating in a clean up operation. This can carry you all the way to current content. As rpers, we do not claim to be in the front lines and actually killing the Lich King anyway. Deathwing having been defeated was something you might have witnessed, but did not get to strike a blow, or you heard about it from NPCS.

I prefer to rp as a citizen doing their duty as best they can. The story I play out is my characters personal story, not necessarily the games story except in passing. We know all about the events, but actually doing the dungeons and the quests does not have to be in your characters personal story.
Reply Quote
13 Troll Druid
I don't include instances in my character's story at all, as we've all done them. I will include some quests, though. Especially if they're random, "Help NPC X with task Y." Those are things we could all have done.

I try to include as much of what happens to my character in-game as things they have actually done, as long as they're not things that can only have been done once.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't consider the contents of quests that much. With 10 toons at 90 I don't even read quest texts anymore. Quests are just an annoyance between my characters and cool looking outfits and ease of transportation.

I do, however, consider who quests are from and what they're having our characters do.

IE: Helped the Argent Crusade dispatch some scourge.
Helped the trolls in Zangarmarsh with getting some food.
Helped dislodge frightened Pandaren cubs from trees.
Reply Quote
13 Troll Druid

I do, however, consider who quests are from and what they're having our characters do.

IE: Helped the Argent Crusade dispatch some scourge.
Helped the trolls in Zangarmarsh with getting some food.
Helped dislodge frightened Pandaren cubs from trees.

This is a much better way of saying what I was trying to say.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]