RPing Shado-pan?

87 Tauren Paladin
I'm sure we've all seen them; Argent Crusade RPers, Sunreaver or Kirin Tor RPers, and now we have the neutral faction Shado-pan. For all the neutral faction RPers that I have seen across two servers on both sides, why is the Shado-pan the only one that is pretty rudely frowned upon, even when the character itself is a Pandaren?

What are your thoughts about Shado-pan RPers and why?
Reply Quote
I suppose because the other factions all had ties to one or both of the two factions. The Shado-Pan are from Pandaria itself, have no ties to either faction, and in fact dislike both factions as a rule, only accepting the player because of our brute competence at solving issues and beating the Sha/Mantid/What have you.

A human Argent Crusader has an excuse to hang out in Alliance cities... a Shado-Pan does not. If they're not on the front lines or on the job, they're at the Monastery training.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Argent Crusade RPers, Sunreaver or Kirin Tor RPers

Hey! Don't forget about Cenarion Circle RP guilds, we exist too!
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
A human Argent Crusader has an excuse to hang out in Alliance cities... a Shado-Pan does not. If they're not on the front lines or on the job, they're at the Monastery training.

This is part of the reason for me. Another being that, supposedly, the Shado Pan are low in number yet at least one third of the pandaren rpers I see, usually rogues or monks, rps as one. It makes the situation less realistic to me, similar to when I see non pandaren monks who claim to be master brewmasters or the like.

If less pandaren rped as Shado Pan or if the faction itself where more flexible in its situation or even if it was ONLY pandaren who rped as Shado Pan then perhaps I wouldn't mind as much as I do. Granted I don't hate it so much that I wouldn't rp with a pandaren who was rping as one, but still.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Didn't we just have this conversation?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8569111195
Edited by Zandrae on 4/24/2013 11:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
I sort of look at it this way, if I see a Shado-Pan RPer outside of Pandaria.

What is the job of the Shado-Pan? Protecting Pandaria.

Now, a couple of years ago this was pretty simple. No one knew where or how to get to Pandaria. So the threats they dealt with were really confined to the Mantid and Yaungol with the occasional Sha or Mogu incursion. Now that the Mists have parted there are much greater threats that can despoil Pandaria.

So now we have a force that needs to look beyond their borders to judge the defense of Pandaria. So I could see Shado-Pan RPers out in the world beyond Pandaria's borders, acting as observers/scouts. They'd 'defend' Pandaria by testing the might of a threat and reporting back.

They can be in Alliance or Horde cities as a neutral party. They do need to rest and resupply. I mean, the Shado-Pan are basically the Night's Watch. They're neutral but they still can ask non-neutrals for aid.
Reply Quote
I haven't fully created a story yet for my human monk, but I wanted to tie in the Shado Pan in some way without actually having her be one of their "order." I have been kicking around the idea of her being something of a scholar and being tied more to the Lorewalkers. Her relationship with the Shado Pan would also be more scholarly...learning about the Sha from them. Rather than having her actually be a Lorewalker or Shado Pan, I thought about just having her be affiliated with them for academic purposes. Would this be plausible?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
04/24/2013 11:17 AMPosted by Iraelius
So now we have a force that needs to look beyond their borders to judge the defense of Pandaria. So I could see Shado-Pan RPers out in the world beyond Pandaria's borders, acting as observers/scouts. They'd 'defend' Pandaria by testing the might of a threat and reporting back.

Eh... It makes logical sense until you think, why would they leave their home when they still have existing threats there? Further, why would their leadership even try to commit their limited resources to scout for new threats when they have active ones. Ambassador seeking aid makes more sense then, but still why would you send people away when representatives of most of the factions you could seek aid with are there with you. You wouldn't. This idea will work better once we are out of Pandaria and back to the mainland.

I think this works better if you use a more Shaolin monk type story since they had wanderers at times of war. Unfortunately, many of those were disgraced or dishonored or banished. Or a teacher wanting to share his knowledge. And super rare.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
04/25/2013 12:29 PMPosted by Izby

Eh... It makes logical sense until you think, why would they leave their home when they still have existing threats there? Further, why would their leadership even try to commit their limited resources to scout for new threats when they have active ones. Ambassador seeking aid makes more sense then, but still why would you send people away when representatives of most of the factions you could seek aid with are there with you. You wouldn't. This idea will work better once we are out of Pandaria and back to the mainland.

I think this works better if you use a more Shaolin monk type story since they had wanderers at times of war. Unfortunately, many of those were disgraced or dishonored or banished. Or a teacher wanting to share his knowledge. And super rare.

Well, the mantid aren't a threat for now. In about a hundred years they will be.

The yaungol incursion has been beaten back and they rarely actively assault the pandaren, preferring to keep to themselves.

The mogu and Sha are the biggest threat still on Pandaria. But the mogu are all but beaten and the Sha crop up rarely.

If anything, Shado-Pan RPers could make sense in 5.3/5.4 as joining the war effort against Garrosh.
Reply Quote
52 Blood Elf Warlock
If anything, Shado-Pan RPers could make sense in 5.3/5.4 as joining the war effort against Garrosh.

This. the Shado-pan have more than enough reason to be salty with Garrosh after 5.3. He basically ruined their ancestral holy land.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
04/28/2013 03:02 AMPosted by Velluthredor

This. the Shado-pan have more than enough reason to be salty with Garrosh after 5.3. He basically ruined their ancestral holy land.

Well, that and it's pretty much known he's using the Sha by around that point - hell, it's known he was using them by 5.1.

It was just that Lei Shen was the bigger threat.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]