Unusual warlocks, let me oggle you.

90 Night Elf Rogue
*oggle oggle oggle*

Warlocks are probably my biggest weak point. I find it extremely difficult to come up with a warlock character I want to play. I don't find myself very fond of pet play, nor am I all that charmed by "uhuhuh meso dark 'n' broody 'n' POWAH HANGRY" that often comes with warlocks.

So I'm looking for inspiration. Got a warlock that breaks the mold? Tell me about them.
Edited by Astusira on 4/24/2013 1:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Human Death Knight
About the pet play:

You could always talent Grimoire of Sacrifice to get ride of the pet.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
About the pet play:

You could always talent Grimoire of Sacrifice to get ride of the pet.

Oh, I do and it's pretty neat! What I mean is, I don't like to incorporate them at all into RP. My hunter, for instance, is nothing more than a marksman. The pets I use in raiding never come out in RP, not even as minor roles in a back story.

Edit: I'm bad at singular nouns.
Edited by Astusira on 4/24/2013 1:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I always hit level 20 and then get bored with my warlocks.
Reply Quote
92 Human Death Knight

Have you tried them post MoP? They received quite a remake
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
Warlocks are late bloomers, even post 5.0.

It gets really fun around level 75, imo.
Reply Quote
38 Gnome Warlock
This lock is a practical, modern gnome who tries as hard as possible to do away with all the silly hellfire and blood-of-innocents business. Come on, the Third War is over! Move with the times. Ic, this means wearing practical clothes instead of glowy robes, speaking calmly and rationally to her demons, and attempting to convince them that appearing as dark forms like unto the void is just really not necessary. (She's not had a lot of luck so far, but she keeps trying.) So... that's one way to go about it. Hope I helped!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Hi, I'm Teryani and I'm a cliche.

Let me start with this, I am not anything other than what my class says I am. I am a warlock. I'm not a nethermancer or fire mage with a demonic looking dog.

I fall into the 'bad choice for good ends' camp of warlocks.

I began my career training as a mage. Dad is a minor functionary in the Kirin-tor. My oldest sister fell fighting the scourge with Alliance forces after having been disowned for not following the family business ("Such talent! Wasted on swinging a sword when you could be moving mountains!", Dad is a bit dramatic).

When I tried to find out what happened to my sister's body (wanting to make sure that my sister was given a proper burial and not serving in the Lich King's army) I found my arcane magic insufficient, so I started digging into the dark stuff to help in my search. Sure dad disowned me too, but that was probably going to happen some day anyway.

I'm not brooding or power hungry. I sought the power I needed to reach a specific end and it worked.

. Ic, this means wearing practical clothes instead of glowy robes,

**shuffles guiltily** Okay, I admit to having two sets...okay three sets (excluding the wicked witch wear I've got going on right now - this set does not count!) of "warlocky" clothes. In my defense they look cool and so far they haven't been used on this server.

Yet.
Edited by Teryáni on 4/24/2013 2:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
04/24/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Kalad

Have you tried them post MoP? They received quite a remake

Oh, I know. It looks really interesting, actually.

But I mostly go through with them the same self-loathing I go through with all my alts.

First I start them, then I start wondering what tradeskills to have, then I start wondering how I'm going to make those tradeskills affect what I want in my RP, then I start wondering what I want in my RP, then I start looking at my character and going: "Ugh, you made another blood elf, didn't you, why is that, why won't you play other Horde characters, you don't even like the Horde storyline, but you have to know what happens."

And then it all falls apart.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
First I start them, then I start wondering what tradeskills to have, then I start wondering how I'm going to make those tradeskills affect what I want in my RP, then I start wondering what I want in my RP, then I start looking at my character and going: "Ugh, you made another blood elf, didn't you, why is that, why won't you play other Horde characters, you don't even like the Horde storyline, but you have to know what happens."

And then it all falls apart.

/pat
Reply Quote
I am a Warlock.

I use demons for practical purposes when I'm in the field in research exhibitions.

I can't carry something heavy? Voidwalker assistance.

Need a spot welder but left tools at home? Imp.

Need to bring pain and death to the filthy Orcs who slay my people and threaten Gnomeregan simply because they view us as a weaker race? Have an infernal to the face.

Lonely and need someone to talk to, but the Alliance looks down upon me simply because of my source of power? Succubus. AT LEAST SHE LISTENS TO ME.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
This thread. It makes me want to level a 'lock.

But I have too many alts to begin with. Halp.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I recently re-customized my Lock to be a whole different character after a long break, but I enjoyed his personality, so I suppose I'll share it here.

He was a very charming and debonair man, but also a bit sexist at times. He masqueraded as either a fire mage or someone with little-to-no magical ability depending on the situation. His dress was very simple and unassuming, and oftentimes he would have grease on his robes from tinkering around. I ended up putting him on the Crimson Council when I was playing him full-time, though not much came of it; he and his other Lock pal were trying to present the dark arts in a manner people might be able to swallow.

Behind the scenes he was a sociopath creeper, but hardly anybody knew about that; he kept it very much under wraps except to a few people he trusted. He ended up becoming addicted to draining people of their life and soul, and had a large collection of soul shards that he wore hidden about his person. If he didn't get a chance to drain something in a while, he would get irate and grumpy. Small animals work well when there are no other targets, but he preferred sentient females mostly.

Your toon can still do dark things and not be a dark person. The roads to hell are paved with good intentions, as they say. Your toon could have all these amazing ideas on how to change Azeroth for the better or whatnot, and simply grasp at the power that harnessing demonic magics can bring for the sake of fulfilling their goals.
Reply Quote
My warlock started as an undead and I RPed out a few race changes with him.

He started as a Gilnean that long left Gilneas as a traveling alchemist and that was when the plague swept over and got him. Later he was part of the undead to splinter off as Forsaken where he stayed for a long time. Then becoming bored with his "doom and gloom" undead "siblings" he concocted a plan to get a new view and help the Horde at the same time. After capturing, torturing and sealing the soul of a worgen Priest away Barthus performed a sort of "body swap" with the now soulless husk. More or less alive now Barthus is playing double agent, getting in good with the Alliance for Horde information he "acquired" from prisoners for money and low-medium status, but also doing the same with the Horde and giving them Alliance secrets.

I find it fun and it isn't the typical outward "MUWAHAHAHA" kind of evil most warlocks have. Fits my tastes, hope it can help a tad.
Reply Quote
91 Goblin Warlock
I got my fill of angst doom and gloom with my now retired DK wrath main. I knew from the get go that I'd go another way with Roulette.

She was a drunken gambler who got in WAAAY over her head on Kezan. Learning to be a Warlock was a defensive move to protect herself from loan sharks (several of which she was related to) and to help dodge her debts. And her mentor was basically the Goblin answer to Ruby Rhod sooo that was fun!

Despite the darkness and reputation that surrounds her profession, Rou isn't really more power hungry than any other Goblin and she's certainly not an angst bunny. Cheap energy, free labor, Warlockin is great! She's twitchy, sure, and a bit manic, okay, but she's a geeky optimist at heart. Sort of a Liz Lemon meets Elvira meets Karen Walker kinda gal. She loves what she does, she likes to have fun, but she also tends to lose herself in SCIENCE. She's very interested in the Twisting Nether on a scientific curiosity level as much as anything else. She does try to keep the Warlock thing on the downlow though. Not cause she thinks there's anything wrong with it, but because it could be bad for business. She has potions and elixirs to sell ya know!

Does she steeple her fingers and cackle manically from time to time? Sure! But I don't think of her as evil, malicious, or angsty at all. More of a neurotic pragmatist with more than a little luck on her side.
Reply Quote
@Roulett

Are you me?
Reply Quote
91 Goblin Warlock
*eyes Wrench* I don't THINK so... We do both have our hair in our faces... *checks face for mustache*

Hmm...I'm gonna go with no. No mustache. :(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Power-hungry soldiers of ancient civilizations attempted to find the secrets of his powers within arcane scrolls and tablets. His very name struck fear into the heart of any sensible entity. With intelligence that far extends the reach of science and mathematics, and physical strength that comes right out of ancient orcish mythology, this man has the power of a god in his fingertips. He...

is...

Ironcrotch.

From the rolling hills of Arathi to the depths of Vash'jir, the name Ironcrotch has been whispered across entire nations with fear and wonder. He is so powerful, the sun itself is afraid of him. His daily exercises include swimming in Ragefire Chasms and waging multi-dimensional warfare with divine entities. Sargeras isn't really stuck in the nether - he's stuck in his living den, next to a box of tissues and a stack of romantic comedies because he was unfortunate enough to invoke the fury of Ironcrotch.

I hope you can use my warlock as some form of inspiration for yours! Just remember, the number one rule of role playing is to keep it believable. Make sure your character fits right in with the Warcraft universe, like Ironcrotch.
Reply Quote
How did he get the name, "Ironcrotch?"

Someone had to ask. Don't judge me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]