Prot Warr new to Tanking

90 Blood Elf Warrior
Thanks for reading,

SO - first of all, I re rolled to Warrior and hit 85 right before MoP released, so I have been playing Warrior for a decent amount of time now. I have always been DPS focused, never even had a Tank spec until now. I am the GM of a lvl 25 10m raiding Guild, and our usual tank can't make raid nights that we have set.... So now I am taking it upon myself to become the greatest tank for my Guildies :) on my Armory page you can see the gear I'm working with, YES I know that I haven't gemmed/chanted anything yet... I am waiting until 10 EST tonight when we raid just incase I get any loot in LFR before we raid. But I am just looking for some basic info like reaching certain caps such as hit/exp/parry/dodge/ whatever. Also stat priority. Maybe some rotation discussion, and just tips in general :)

-Hellraiza <Bleed The Fifth>
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
I advise you check out this post :) It seems very helpful for new prot warriors and basically answers everything you want to know.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7415514767
Edited by Bladestorm on 4/24/2013 11:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
This might not be what you want to hear but the stickies at the top of this forum about movement, mentality and fundamentals are at least as important as any of the things about which you've asked. :D

Assuming you've got through all that, all I really have to say is good luck!

I actually just built a prot spec for my lvl 86 warrior last night. Feels fun so far.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
I advise you check out this post :) It seems very helpful for new prot warriors and basically answers everything you want to know.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7415514767

thanks Bladestorm :) reading it now
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
This might not be what you want to hear but the stickies at the top of this forum about movement, mentality and fundamentals are at least as important as any of the things about which you've asked. :D

Assuming you've got through all that, all I really have to say is good luck!

I actually just built a prot spec for my lvl 86 warrior last night. Feels fun so far.

Yep, doing that right now lol, reading all kinda forums& what not :) Excited to Tank MSV tonight an HoF Friday :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
ALSO.... I am looking for helpful tanking or just Warrior macros in general. I currently have zero.... lol
Reply Quote
95 Pandaren Monk
One thing, if you have a bunch of extra JPs, convert them to honor and you can get a nice 476 shield from the PvP vendor. Especially if your RNG on shield drops is as horrible as mine is on my warrior.

Another 1000 armor and 100 stamina. It might overcome the loss of that bit of parry that is on your 463 shield, but a better warrior than I can help you on that more.

Malevolent Gladiator's Shield Wall
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Wow I'm definitely going to pick that up today when I get out of work :) Still sitting here at work just reading every Prot guide ever made :) learning a lot... hopefully I'll be ready for tonight!
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
As you are working on learning, its not the worst idea to get a bunch of STA so you sit over 600k hp. This way a healer may have a chance to make up for your learning curve.

Once you feel like you got the hang of it the theory splits into 3 - STA stack - Mastry Stack - EXP then Mastry stack. Personally I went Hit Cap, Exp Cap (15%) then all mastery.

This will A. never let you miss for rage B. give you about 60% crt block chance and 26% chance to block standard. (lots of ways to mitgate damage with your skills for timeing)

For macros i use a game pad. If you have one i just use a press order of Shield Slam, Revenge, Devistate in that order. This way what ever is off CD gets pressed and you never lose an opportunity to gain rage.

In game macro i use is all my O crap stuff into one button. this could be trinks, followed by shield wall. last stand and finally the lock stone in that order.

Just make sure what ever you do, you make it so you dont hit taunt on accident, as usually this can have some really bad results on boss fights.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Do not macro all your cooldowns to each other, you might think this is a good idea.. it's not.

make sure you watch timers, because hitting a cooldown AFTER a hit is pretty pointless, example using your active mitigation AFTER a thrash is as pointless as not using your active mitigation through the whole fight. the thing that it really matters on Sha of Fear is Thrash, everything else is meh, but make sure you have it up for Thrash.

Umm if you use weak auras, make some kind of aura for tracking debuffs on the other tank, OR make sure debuffs are easily readable on your target of target frame (and make sure your target of target is on)
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
make sure you have heroic leap on a good keybind, when people say warriors are mobile tanks, they mean heroic leap
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
when people say warriors are mobile tanks, they mean heroic leap
Yeah.. definitely not their whole arsenal of amazing mobility moves, just heroic leap.
Reply Quote
99 Pandaren Warrior
make sure you have heroic leap on a good keybind, when people say warriors are mobile tanks, they mean heroic leap

04/24/2013 10:47 PMPosted by Bladestorm
when people say warriors are mobile tanks, they mean heroic leap
Yeah.. definitely not their whole arsenal of amazing mobility moves, just heroic leap.

That aside...Heroic leap really should still be on a good keybind
Edited by Ðemolition on 4/24/2013 11:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Do not macro all your cooldowns to each other, you might think this is a good idea.. it's not.

For sure this. Macro'in all you defensive cd's together is just a terrible idea, they should each have a seperate keybind.

For warriors, can't speak for the other tank classes, we prepare for incoming dmg before it hits us useing CD's and trinks. And they need to be spread out and used at appropriate times.
Edited by Rathgore on 4/24/2013 11:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]