Divine Purpose - Wasted Talent?

90 Draenei Paladin
KGB
Divine Purpose is godly for Ret. 10 Templar's Verdicts in a row is just amazing. Or when you're running away and you get 5 word of glories in a row and the enemy is just like, :| , really?

Pick the other talents if you want more control and dislike the RNG. I myself am used to it, and it always procs enough to make it worth it for me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's a fantastic talent for holy because it can proc off of 1 point wogs and allows you to keep eternal flame up on people much more reliably.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Divine Purpose is godly for Ret. 10 Templar's Verdicts in a row is just amazing. Or when you're running away and you get 5 word of glories in a row and the enemy is just like, :| , really?

Pick the other talents if you want more control and dislike the RNG. I myself am used to it, and it always procs enough to make it worth it for me.

Yeah in randoms you can be pretty hard to kill with DP depending on what's on you. But it's just too unreliable for me to use over HA in a rated setting.

It's one of those talents like blood tap for dks that has you asking "Why is this a talent?"

What could be done is nerf it to 15% chance, and not allow it to proc of itself, then make it baseline for all specs. I don't feel that this would be overpowered for Holy, and it would help Ret.
Reply Quote
94 Blood Elf Paladin
It just doesn't have the control that HA has, I use it as Prot in 5 mans because it's hilarious to shield bash mobs 10 times in a row.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Speaking from a PvP standpoint, I'm not too big on DP. Even with the once in a while life-savor proc's it's given me in the long run it has never been as beneficial for me as HA has. It's failed me on so many occasions when I've needed it to proc the most. At least with HA I can line it up with my Trinket/Wings and I can start mopping the floors with people. I use DP for Prot which I feel has more beneficial value for me compared to Ret. Some people like it as Ret because they feel they've had more success with it, so to each their own.. but I've never been as lucky as they have.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
I guess I'm weird, I like it in PvP sometimes. It's great for keeping inq up or pairing it with eternal flame so you always have the hot rolling on you and your friends...it's generally nice for surviving I've found
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/26/2013 11:31 AMPosted by Lobster
I agree with ya OP, I think it should be dropped to baseline (for all specs), it's a fun random mechanic just like Exorcism is.

Yeah let's give holy paladins and prot paladins Divine Purpose and Holy Avenger. Yeah that's a great idea. They really need the help. Yeah. Yeah.

I LOL'd reading the last part.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm Ret, PvE only, and I like it. Hell, I liked it in Cata.

I'm never run Holy Avenger, but I did run Sanctified Wrath for a very long time and my problem with SW -- if you're being meters-conscious -- was this: In order to get the benefit of a cooldown talent, you must obviously pop said cooldown. I suppose on the raid bosses themselves, it's not hard to get multiple, well-planned cooldowns off in sequence. Just about anywhere else, though, how many times you're able to cycle the thing is dependent on the other players in your group. If you are running a heroic with an overgeared frost mage, for instance, you might not get two cycles of SW on a particular encounter. That's great from a clearing-of-content perspective, but from a personal performance perspective it kind of stinks.

I actually found DP to be a dps increase for me because it simplified cooldown management. There are plenty of places in ToT (I'm thinking most specifically of the globules on the way up to Primordius) where getting an endless stream of Divine Storm procs in the middle of trash has been quite helpful. I also run the glyph for that talent, so any use of DS heals me for 5% each time. I'm not unkillable when those procs start happening but I'm darn close.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
DP is my guilty pleasure in PvE. Used to be my guilty pleasure in random BGs too, but recently I started using HA as in rated play. Especially after playing a DK. Feels more satisfying to be able to increase damage significantly and apply strong pressure on demand and kill/pressure key enemy.

But in PvE DP is a lot of fun, unless you're min/max-ing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/15/2013 04:01 PMPosted by Lyeffion
If you are running a heroic with an overgeared frost mage, for instance, you might not get two cycles of SW on a particular encounter.

I doubt there are any LFD heroics that last more than 2-3 minutes.

I actually found DP to be a dps increase for me because it simplified cooldown management

Rets only have 3 dps cds, not that many to handle. If you have trouble with them, I'm worried about your inquisition management.

Only thing that makes me sad about DP are 4 procs of WoG at full life.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/15/2013 10:57 PMPosted by Aglaea
If you are running a heroic with an overgeared frost mage, for instance, you might not get two cycles of SW on a particular encounter.

I doubt there are any LFD heroics that last more than 2-3 minutes.

I actually found DP to be a dps increase for me because it simplified cooldown management

Rets only have 3 dps cds, not that many to handle. If you have trouble with them, I'm worried about your inquisition management.

Only thing that makes me sad about DP are 4 procs of WoG at full life.

My Inquisition management is surprisingly quite good. I was a bit surprised at the amount of complaining over Inquisition when I started visiting these boards. For the first couple of weeks after MoP dropped, it took some getting used to but I'm pretty comfortable with it.

Here's what I mean by "cooldown management" relating to SW: Should I pop it now or wait until someone drops hero? Until it lines up with GoAK? Did my trinket just proc? Boss looks pretty close to threshold now, do I pop it or wait until it pops itself so I can save it for the trash in the hall? etc., etc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]