2 Disc in 10 man, bad thing?

100 Human Priest
I suppose what I am saying is: Would it be better for our raid team if one of us went Holy? I have always been of the opinion that diversity is important for 10 man. Here are our logs from about 11 attempts at Mageara last night:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/lsv5v2duh2nhjj1a/sum/healingDone/

I think in the last attempt the healers pushed out the most healing. I just worry that we should have another healer that can "push bars up" fast. Disc isn't strong at AOE burst, as Holy is.

Another question is, do you see anything that we could be doing a lot better? Thanks in advance for any help:)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I would say running 2 disc priests is not a bad thing at all, as long as you have a 3rd healer who can recover raid health. Its a great help to your raids overall dps. The only time I would not suggest it is during fights that you only use 2 healers. Disc struggles more than other healers when it comes to recovering lost health since we cannot crit heal. A resto druid or mistweaver monk couples very well with disc. Or one of you could go holy for 2 heal fights that both priests are in.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
It looks like you are hardly doing enough Atonement damage. In fact, you are specced into Power Word: Solace, at least on Try 6, but you did not cast it anywhere near its CD.

Do you have some addon that helps you track your cooldowns?

Additionally, you could improve using Spirit Shell on CD, and AA. In fact your Evangelism stacks were not up for more than half of the fight!

If you are in need of addons to help you, have a look at the recommendations here: http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1715

Two Discs can work as long as you arrange which tank gets whose PW:S, since we aren't prone to rolling PW:S on the raid anymore. It may be better if one of you went Holy, but if that person were to play Holy poorly then it wouldn't help the raid at all.
Edited by Ashleycakez on 4/23/2013 1:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
On one tank fights fighting over rapture would not be my idea of a good time. And 2 heal fights healing large spikes of damage would be problematic. I'd prefer disc/holy myself but, I'll never do disc/disc in 10m again. Too annoying for me.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Rex
disc is the best healer in 10 man by an order of magnitude. the two of you combined will do roughly the same dps as an average dpser, which is huge for ToT.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
On one tank fights fighting over rapture would not be my idea of a good time

Most fights there are always at least one other person taking damage so I do not believe this is a valid excuse seeing as how communication normally fixes it. Although sadly, there are times when you are right.

2 heal fights healing large spikes of damage would be problematic

This, every class has their strength and weakness.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest

Most fights there are always at least one other person taking damage so I do not believe this is a valid excuse seeing as how communication normally fixes it. Although sadly, there are times when you are right.

It's not just that, but disc relies on having pw:s available for tank burst healing. Shielding gives the tank a stron health buffer and gives the priest borrowed time that they can spend on penance>gheal. That is the biggest downside I see. Raid health recovery will be a bit difficult too, so proper SS coordination to cover every damage spike would be really important too.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
04/24/2013 08:23 AMPosted by Dmassey

So a common occurrence when our healing team is consisting of 3 disc priests is that we'll start shielding ourselves and standing in stuff to force rapture. This isn't super common since someone else is usually taking damage, but in the cases where it does happen and you really need the regen, it's a quick fix for the issue (just don't kill yourself).
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
I think it's bad because Rapture is a thing.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
On the Mageara fight, it could be a particularly useful thing to have two disc priests. Coordinate with the other priest to make sure that you are SS blanketing the raid prior to each ...(ravage? i forget what it is called when you stack and they are all pissed off). Just alternate each one, since you won't have it off cooldown for every consecutive one. Having twice the disc priest raid cooldowns could be very beneficial for this fight.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
SS is up for every tantrum or whatever it's called anyway. We had a bunch of attempts on him last night and I had it up for that every time. 2 Barriers on the other hand, could be nice.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
SS is up for every tantrum or whatever it's called anyway. We had a bunch of attempts on him last night and I had it up for that every time. 2 Barriers on the other hand, could be nice.

It's rampage, but I find your word for it to be better. It really is a tantrum.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I don't know but every time I had to heal with another disc priest, even in LFR, I wanted to shoot babies, because we were fighting to shield the tanks.

So it's probably a bad idea, that, and fact disc sucks to top a raid quickly, while being holy you'd shine at that.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I think when 3 healing 10m Normal, 2 disc priests would be sniping each other more than filling the gaps. Atonement Disc + Holy + Shaman would be a much better composition, in my opinion.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Double disc + paladin is amazing and probably the strongest healer comp in 10man right now.

We've been running double disc mistweaver lately (our shadow priest is playing disc, recruiting holy paladin anyone?), and were doing disc + mw + paladin before, which also feels really strong.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
On the Mageara fight, it could be a particularly useful thing to have two disc priests. Coordinate with the other priest to make sure that you are SS blanketing the raid prior to each ...(ravage? i forget what it is called when you stack and they are all pissed off). Just alternate each one, since you won't have it off cooldown for every consecutive one. Having twice the disc priest raid cooldowns could be very beneficial for this fight.

Wont have it off cooldown? How are you killing each head in less than one minute? Mine's always up for rampage.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
This past week I didn't have SS available to pre-cast before the head died on one Rampage. They really melted one of the heads O_O
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
This past week I didn't have SS available to pre-cast before the head died on one Rampage. They really melted one of the heads O_O

Yeah, every now and then the head just dies really quickly. And it will only happen more often with better gear.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Hopefully not because Heroic Meg progression soon! And then like 2 weeks after that I can go back to - OMG SS NOT OFF CD TRANQ! TRANQ!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I would agree that having 2 disc is fine. just pay attention to the mechanics and communicate. who's doing bubbles, rotate CDs, Divine aegis stacks! if the other priest is beating you to mitigations, then just do some freakin damage lol.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]