Nether Tempest vs. Frost Bomb on Tortos

I just did tortos on my mage for the first time and havent been on him much ........... seems like frost bomb would out perform NT on that fight due to the abundance of adds any comments on that............. was also thinking i might just switch fire lol....... any comments anecdotal or data would be great i'm not pulling bad damage on it just feels like i could do better
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I use NT because as range DPS, our first priority is killing turtles, and they fly everywhere, so frost bomb isn't going to help that much.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
NT. Who cares about vampiric cave bats. Let the hunters meter !@#$% on those. You need to kill turtles.
Reply Quote
yeah that makes sense i dont get a ton of up time on the turtles plus having the instant cast would be good considering the movement.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
This. We have a job to do and it sucks, but we do it. Kill turtles with NT.
Reply Quote
2 Troll Hunter
I just did tortos on my mage for the first time and havent been on him much ........... seems like frost bomb would out perform NT on that fight due to the abundance of adds any comments on that............. was also thinking i might just switch fire lol....... any comments anecdotal or data would be great i'm not pulling bad damage on it just feels like i could do better

My guild has me on bats, then switch to Turtles. Mainly because of our 10 man raid comp. Frost bomb would @!!#*@%% if you were on bat duty. If you're not supposed to be on bats Nether Tempest would work out better.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Personally I prefer Frost Bomb. While you might effectively lose out on some splash damage if the turtles aren't near, the added slow can make a big difference.
Or, do what I do, and chuck frost bomb up on the bats when they've landed and go back to pew-pewing turtles.
There are numerous things people suggest for this fight, but I say go with whatever you're comfortable doing. Fire is supposedly better for that fight, but it's very gear reliant, and personally I don't find the need to do THAT much moving...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
NT. Your job is to kill turtles.

Turtles normally are not stacked up tightly as needed for good DPS with frostbomb.

NT spamming on all of them helps out a lot more and helps lower all of them all instead of just dps on one.

If you're on bats for w/e reason i guess bomb is better, but you should be on turtles.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
04/28/2013 12:55 AMPosted by Tuckletuts
the added slow can make a big difference.

The problem with this is that Frost Bomb's slow is stronger than most other slows, but only lasts a few seconds. Frost Bomb will overwrite weaker slows when it applies, and then when it wears off 3 seconds later the turtles will be spinning across the room at full speed, and harder to app slows to with them being so spread out. For this reason I find it to be detrimental.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Nether Tempest now, Living Bomb next patch, I don't top the meters on this fight but my mage compatriots and I top the Whirl Turtle damage by far. Combustion spreading off Tortos to the Whirl Turtles as they come out just below his mouth is key.
Reply Quote
2 Undead Priest
This. We have a job to do and it sucks, but we do it. Kill turtles with NT.

Best transmog ever!

I use FB on the trash and NT on the turtles, unless I am put on the bats (we have a ton of ranged), then I stick with FB.

FB is better than you think on that fight because it will hit other turtles, the bats, Tortos, etc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]