Neutral RP: How do you view it?

90 Pandaren Rogue
Hello, WRA, how are you all? I've been debating on how to create this thread, and now I feel like I can express what I'm asking better, so here I go.

Neutral RP: How do you view it?

To be honest, I've always have and always will wish for a neutral faction, even if it meant "limiting" my own gameplay if I chose such a path. Unfortunately, there is no such thing, so I want to try and get over the hurdle of limiting factions and that's where you all come in. So, how do you as an individual and an RP view the act of "Neutral" RP?

Do you or have you ever Neutral RP'd it at all? Do you think it's pointless, or do you feel like it broadens your RP'ing pool? If you've done it before, how have you gone about it? I can only see it through either purely emotes and gestures, or through RealID tags if the other party is willing to share it. How about big groups that might involve a "Neutral" RP'er, do you use a RealID chat or do you simply let them go about their own business with emotes?

I want Wolf to be a... lone wolf (I'm sorry), and as such, he doesn't really have a "faction" per say so much as it just happened per chance that he got on a Horde boat when he left his home in Pandaria. As such, I do want to RP with both Alliance and Horde on the same character, but I feel like I wouldn't enjoy it very much if everyone avoided me that was on the opposite faction, or if I was RP'ing "wrong" in the sense that people would lose interest if it goes too slow or too "quiet" with emotes alone (though I pride myself in my ability to reply rather fast, I'm not a fan of paragraph RP).

So, any words of wisdom would be nice, or even an opinion. Please and thank you!

[EDIT]

Battletag for Cross-Faction RP: Bandersnatch#1575
Edited by Wolf on 4/27/2013 12:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I've always though Neutral/Cross-Faction RP was interesting and fully possible. The big break between faction speech interaction is for OOC behavior reasons afterall, IE random internet jerkasses/faction chest thumpers don't let people have nice things.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
The Shadowhoof Tribe is kind of neutral. I don't see any problems with neutral factions or guilds so long as pointless conflict doesn't come from it. We've only had a minor problem with someone from another server entirely criticizing us for being neutral with the Horde conflict. Other than that I don't see why it would be too difficult to find RP, it's just a matter of how you represent your neutrality.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
It's hard, I've been trying with it for my X faction Rebellion story. You are limited to three people, yourself included, for Bnet conversations, or one on one for whispers.

With that caveat, it is a lot of fun, and can add a great deal of depth to what you can do.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
I've always though Neutral/Cross-Faction RP was interesting and fully possible. The big break between faction speech interaction is for OOC behavior reasons afterall, IE random internet jerkasses/faction chest thumpers don't let people have nice things.

It is indeed fully possible, especially when the Warlocks could (Or still can? I don't know, I don't play a Warlock) talk to each other via Dark Apotheosis through cross-faction, which I found incredibly awesome and it definitely broadened the ability to RP with Warlocks in both the Alliance and the Horde.
Edited by Wolf on 4/24/2013 4:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
If it's done well, it can work for any race. As a pandaren, however, you're at a serious advantage. It even makes more sense for pandaren to be neutral than on a faction.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
It's hard, I've been trying with it for my X faction Rebellion story. You are limited to three people, yourself included, for Bnet conversations, or one on one for whispers.

With that caveat, it is a lot of fun, and can add a great deal of depth to what you can do.

I did not know it's limited to 3 people to a chat, but really I don't do well in large groups anyways, so I feel like this works out quite well for me!

If it's done well, it can work for any race. As a pandaren, however, you're at a serious advantage. It even makes more sense for pandaren to be neutral than on a faction.

Hilariously, I made a Pandaren not because of their huge advantage to Neutrality, but because they're probably my favorite race now.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
Derp for double posting, but another question I forgot to ask:

How willing are you in terms of sharing your Battletag? I feel like that'd be like a definite road block in terms of finding people who'd want to RP at all on the Alliance side.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Our guild is neutral Ebon Blade. We spend a lot of time roleplaying at the Shadow Vault in Icecrown (that quest hub place), but we haven't really had a lot of cross-faction RP just due to lack of contacts. It's sort of a niche interest, but if your character has any reason to drop by, say to learn about DKs or the undead, they're certainly welcome.

X-Faction RP is inconvenient, impractical, and awesome. I certainly wouldn't mind the extra work broadcasting translations for the opportunity.

For your case in specific, I would suggest that you contact an Alliance pandaren guild. I wish I could give you directions, but I don't know enough to give you names. I think Way of the Tushui is all or mostly pandaren...? I don't know how invested they are in Alliance interest, but you can probably find a few new A-side friends that way if so.

Some conditions, such as being dead or being a panda, can potentially make neutrality 'natural'. From there on, the only hurdle is networking. :)

My battletag's Evelyne#1179 for anyone interested in any neutral Northrend RP.

E: Cool name by the way!
Edited by Evelyne on 4/24/2013 5:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
Thanks for being friendly, and yeah I feel like it is definitely impractical in terms of actually finding Alliance players who are willing to RP with someone cross-faction. I definitely feel like Walk-ups will be non-existent with an Alliance player unless they know about me already haha. That, and I wouldn't mind one bit if someone played translator for Wolf, especially since his common would probably be kind of dodgy at times.

Also, I will try and contact any Pandaren guilds (time to search the forums!) and see what I can scrounge up for Alliance friends.

Will add that battletag, and for any future reference I'll add my battletag to the first post and state it in this post:

Bandersnatch#1575

Also, thank you!
Edited by Wolf on 4/27/2013 12:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
04/24/2013 05:24 PMPosted by Evelyne
Our guild is neutral Ebon Blade. We spend a lot of time roleplaying at the Shadow Vault in Icecrown (that quest hub place), but we haven't really had a lot of cross-faction RP just due to lack of contacts. It's sort of a niche interest, but if your character has any reason to drop by, say to learn about DKs or the undead, they're certainly welcome.

Oh gosh, I would love to rp with your guild sometime if you're up for it. :0

I xfaction rp a lot with my buddies through battletags and it's totally great. Go for it dude. Default emoting can start rps with the other faction, so you might want to give that a try!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm not going to lie. I do enjoy crossing faction barriers -- both on ALLIANCE 4 LIFE characters (hi, Any!) and HORDE 4ever! (Hi, Hyo!)... I also have some toons who are probably more nuetral in general. Like others in this thread, battletags are my bffs for coordinating that without having to resort to a third party.

Crossing the factions is a nice way for instant conflict, good and bad kind.

Oh yeah, and Hadeed#1128. I should even be around more in the coming weeks.
Edited by Anyaka on 4/24/2013 7:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
I don't feel strongly one way or another on the topic.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Neutral rp is amazing, and quite frankly, there are always those grey individuals who sit in the middle, never full apart of one side or the other. Many make a decent profit.

I've been looking for good neutral rp as Civ's story involves contacts on both Alliance and Horde. In game though it's been difficult to find.

I don't like posting my battletag openly. But if you toss me a whisper, or i catch you online, i'd be happy to send it to you.
Edited by Civardi on 4/24/2013 7:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
I added my Battletag to the first post, so feel free to add that and just leave a message saying it's you. Would love to RP sometime, with both Alliance and Horde.

Also if anyone knows of any guilds Alliance side that dabbles in open world RP or neutral RP and is willing to help me branch out my RPing circle, feel free to let them know about me. Would appreciate the help!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
None of my alliance characters are neutral, but most of my horde characters are. Mainly because most of them are aligned with a neutral organization. I'd say for all of them the hierarchy is organization/like-minded view loyalty > racial loyalty > Horde loyalty. Feel free to add my battletag (Karsian #1787) for any cross faction shenanigans. Always happy to play with the blue side.

Falirian - Argent Crusade Paladin (BE)
Zalkaza - Earthen Ring Shaman (Troll)
Jaspar - Chi-Ji student (Forsaken)
Edited by Jaspar on 4/24/2013 8:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Like Dawnsky said, The Shadowhoof have been doing the Neutral thing for awhile. Kina here evolved into neutral by the end of Wrath and Cairne's death pushed her over the edge.

As a guild, while not neutral, we have been open to pursuing friendships with those "like minded" people no matter the race. So there are varying degrees of neutral and friendly out there. Given the current storyline it can had a lot to your character, and I find it rather fun and exciting.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
Hm, I appreciate the idea of Neutral guilds. Though I wonder how Neutral World RP events would work out with several "neutral" guilds, perhaps something like an organized Club Trixx I suppose.
Reply Quote
I have two characters that are neutral, and more or less one is good and one is evil.

V here is the neutral-good one. She is not technically a citizen of the Alliance: she is Argent through and through, or was until growing slightly disillusioned. Now she is *with* the Alliance but not actually Alliance on paper.

My evil character (one of them, at least) is technically not neutral either. She's not Horde or Alliance, but a demon. While she is not affiliated with the Burning Legion wholly, if things were to come down to it, well, she's still a demon. She may walk amongst humans in disguise but she is never going to be "redeemed" or become a dark hero or anything.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I adore cross-faction RP. Inherent conflict, exciting stories.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]