Neutral RP: How do you view it?

Hm, I appreciate the idea of Neutral guilds. Though I wonder how Neutral World RP events would work out with several "neutral" guilds, perhaps something like an organized Club Trixx I suppose.

The old Shadowhoof market (not the one we are hosting today), used to be comprised of neutral folks in neutral or mostly neutral locations. We would cross-faction chat with the realID system (back before they had the battle tag option) and would send the items via neutral AH at the designated price after the market closed. It was loads of fun.

One really awesome trick I picked up was the ability to use the universal emotes as a form of sign language. It works out well to a large degree when used right. As neutral as the Shadowhoof are, we have lost a lot of our contacts over time and people leaving the game. However, if you ever want any tips I will be glad to chat with you in-game about any ideas you have for events.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Seeing as a lot of factions in game are neutral and have their own goals separate of the Horde/Alliance conflict, it would make sense to me that there are also neutral player characters.

Since no one seems to be against it I'll play devils advocate and point out some reasons why someone might have issue with neutral RP.

Note, these are mostly OOC reasons based off OOC interactions and I personally love neutral RP ideas and like the OP would forever love Blizz if they made a neutral third faction.

I have experienced 'neutral' characters before in an IC setting. Most times they are awesome and lore abiding 'behaved' characters.

Then you have these situations:

Back in the days of yore, when I was an Alliance player on Moon Guard (Pre ERP era lulz) there was a guild that was neutral and trying to be its own military force. They felt ICly they were equal in power to the Alliance etc and actually had an IC campaign to take over Feralas. Then their members got upset when ICly the sentinels guild and over night elf guilds tried to ICly remove players from the city as if you started a war to take over land the night elves view as mostly theirs, you won't be prancing through their city. And they saw nothing wrong with this. Now, I believe you can RP what you want, but technically, if you went and started a war against the Alliance - they would come crush you. Specially if you are a small militant group versus the whole of the Alliance. They never really understood that and claimed they had 'conquered' Feralas and later other zones as their 'realm'. It was awkward and I ran away whenever I saw them after that.

Then you can bring up characters who follow a neutral conflict and use it as an IC excuse on why they can't be harmed after breaking laws, assaulting people etc etc.

So as this thread seems indicative of, most people like neutral RP, but for those you come across who are dead set against it - they have prolly suffered through experiences like this.

TL;DR - With all concepts there is a 'right' and 'wrong' way to do things that are unique. Do it wrong, it's not fun for anyone else but you, do it right and you join with others to make an awesome story.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Well......

This is awkward Ead...as my Guild is a militant neutral against both Horde and Alliance.

Not saying the IC leader, the Jarl, thinks he can take on the entire Alliance or Horde, but, he's not aligned with them either.

I personally enjoy neutrality in the conflict, as it allows for a tight knit community to create and mold, as long as it is lore abiding.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight

Oh gosh, I would love to rp with your guild sometime if you're up for it. :0

Anytime :) DK-DK RP is especially easy to do. We endorse the idea that the 'language of death' has a spoken version, which makes a lot of sense as a universal communication system would be convenient to such a heterogeneous army as the Scourge. This idea is elaborated upon here: http://theshadowvault.weebly.com/our-canon.html

If you're cool with that, it would mean no language barrier! :D Either way, feel free to add me at Evelyne#1179, and pass on to any other DK friends who might be interested!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Well......

This is awkward Ead...as my Guild is a militant neutral against both Horde and Alliance.

Not saying the IC leader, the Jarl, thinks he can take on the entire Alliance or Horde, but, he's not aligned with them either.

I personally enjoy neutrality in the conflict, as it allows for a tight knit community to create and mold, as long as it is lore abiding.

Being neutral of Horde or Alliance is fine, lots of factions are neutral. My issue with them was claiming they were conquering southern Kalimdor ICly and then getting upset when people tried to react to it or stop them :P
Reply Quote
[quote]
We endorse the idea that the 'language of death' has a spoken version, which makes a lot of sense as a universal communication system would be convenient to such a heterogeneous army as the Scourge.

So much this.

On MG I have 2 Argents (one human DK and one undead warlock). They are sisters, and communicate with each other through "Forsaken" Gutterspeak...as it would seem logical that Gutterspeak would be the language of the Scourge.
Edited by Djpartimage on 4/26/2013 11:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
My dream is to have Blizzard implement a system where once you are exalted with a certain neutral faction, you may complete a daily quest for a certain amount of days in a row and thus you are now "a member" of said faction and may communicate with and visit both Horde and Alliance in exchange for no PvP, for example, or other limitations. (So yeah I like it :P)

Or if that's too much trouble for Blizz to implement, just add in a separate chat system for RPers or something...

Anyway, my main Za'tiya is an initiate of the Cenarion Circle and also a member of an Argent-themed guild, so naturally she is neutral.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
Meh, the only problem I have with that is limiting PVP entirely. I say if they flag themselves for world PVP, anyone can attack them, regardless of faction. Other than that, if they can't do Rated BG's or Arenas that'd be okay by me.

Or a separate chat system would be nice. Hell, I think RP servers in general should just have the chat limiter removed and anyone who abuses the cross-faction chat just get reported and removed. I feel like this server would be good about it as long as they weren't die-hard faction fans.

Also, I've been RPing with a friend of mine on their Alliance character through Battletag chat and I have to say I don't mind it in the slightest! Neutral RPing has been fun for me so far.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Cross-faction RP is wonderful in concept but clumsy and immersion-breaking in practice, due to Blizzard trying specifically to make it hard. I would love for the faction communication barrier to come down; there are so many more stories that could spring up from this game's central conflict that just don't happen within the factions.
Reply Quote
There really isn't a reason for a language barrier to exist any longer. Real ID completely nullified it in terms of like, PvP tactics or whatever (and voice programs did that long beforehand) so I think it's just pure stubbornness on Blizzard's part at this point.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
There really isn't a reason for a language barrier to exist any longer. Real ID completely nullified it in terms of like, PvP tactics or whatever (and voice programs did that long beforehand) so I think it's just pure stubbornness on Blizzard's part at this point.

And the fact that the verbal abuse between factions would be horrendous. Top of my mind, battlegrounds. It's bad enough from your own faction...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't mind it, I think it's great that people can get together and RP cross faction or even play their own completely unaligned "neutral" faction.

Before battletags I wasn't too wild about it. If I wanted some cross-faction RP after RealID came about, I had to go change my account email address, give it to people I wanted to RP with, then go change it back because I'm paranoid. It was clunky and cumbersome so I didn't do it often.

With battletags I might do it more often.

There's still plenty of reason to keep the faction chat barrier in place, though. With RealID and voice programs you can coordinate PvP and RP events with your friends on the opposite faction, but even if you'd just done it via email the very organized nature of the event would probably keep trash talk to a minimum anyway.

Random PvP? Not so much. The "tea bagging" alone is enough to make some people angry. When the guy who just killed you can actually harass you, that's different. Keeping the chat barrier in place is a lot easier than removing it and dealing with excessive tickets about harassment from butthurt players who got ganked.

Also, like the backpack, I think the chat barrier is so deeply ingrained in the game, so far buried in the code, that its removal might be exceedingly difficult or even impossible without breaking huge chunks of the game. They've already said this about the backpack, and I'd imagine other major features (like chat mechanics) might also be far more difficult to disable than we might think.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]