Non-white humans in lore?

(Locked)

Hullo, forums. I was just considering rolling up a human alt because I have Alt Problems, but I had a couple rp-related questions first. Namely: I'm, eh, not surprised that the default human culture seems to be pretty pale (high fantasy, what ya gonna do), but at least the toon does seem to come with optional melanin. But... is there any fluff at all concerning non-white human societies in WoW? I did a quick wiki stroll and didn't find anything, but maybe it's just cunningly hidden. Any advice?
90 Draenei Paladin
"Race," in WoW, means "species." Any and all discussion of ethnicity among humans, along with all the risky cultural baggage that comes with it, is off the table. It's a little disappointing, but I can't really blame Blizzard for keeping that can of worms sealed.
Not really no, and to be quite honest, let's keep it that way.

We have enough people dividing us over skin color in the real world as is. Not saying the divides don't exist, but I don't blame Blizzard for wanting to avoid that can of worms.

EDIT: Azhaar, you have my brain cell. Please give it back? :(
Edited by Kanas on 4/25/2013 1:11 PM PDT
90 Draenei Paladin
EDIT: Azhaar, you have my brain cell. Please give it back? :(

...you may not want it anymore. It's a little soggy and covered with confectioner's sugar. I've been baking.
90 Draenei Paladin
Lets talk about those dark skinned humans from Kalimdor...

Are they actually FROM Kalimdor? I thought they moved in when everyone else did, fairly recently.
So instead of tackling something potentially difficult, we just don't mention that the humans are 98% white. That's... kinda disappointing. :(
90 Dwarf Shaman
http://youtu.be/HuHY7TRRJhQ?t=7s

This thread has potential.
So instead of tackling something potentially difficult, we just don't mention that the humans are 98% white. That's... kinda disappointing. :(

I don't think it was just to be politically correct. Adding parallels of real world ethnicity to explain the different skin tones would take a lot of work in developing zones, equipment, architecture, etc... that really aren't warranted for only 1 of the 13 playable races in the game. It would feel clunky since the human nations have so far been European themed, and would get even more complicated when middle-eastern, Asian, and African inspired human cultures might seem too similar to races already in the game.

In that sense, it might even be explained as Blizzard choosing -not- to be politically correct when it would negatively affect other things and would stand as an obvious, cheap throw-in so racial minorities don't feel left out.

I personally think that it could have been a rewarding thing to "tackle", as you said, if it was planned ahead of time when Azeroth was imagined-- a fantasy world with human cultures that both do justice in resembling but also being unique to the diversity of our own world... hm...

Lets talk about those dark skinned humans from Kalimdor...

Are they actually FROM Kalimdor? I thought they moved in when everyone else did, fairly recently.

Azhaar is correct. The topic is a common on our forums, since there have been guilds that operate under their own "fanon" that the Wastewander Bandits descended from a tribal human society native to Kalimdor. A quick WoWpedia search will reveal that they arrived only recently, and their dark skin comes from tanning rather than genetics.
Guess I'll never make Grand Paladin Frodellus, Master of the Funk after all.
Edited by Sulphuras on 4/25/2013 1:55 PM PDT

Well, not to be a downer, but I fail to see why it's imperative that one bit of the human population must have a percentage of skin color larger then the other. Kind of like how the term Racist only works in-game and not IRL, because last I checked, all people are humans, and all humans are the same race.
90 Orc Warrior
Lets talk about these dark skinned humans from Kalimdor...

They are actually pirates that were shipwrecked there in a battle against the Southsea Pirates. They are NOT native.
04/25/2013 01:44 PMPosted by Drelyn
Adding parallels of real world ethnicity to explain the different skin tones would take a lot of work in developing zones, equipment, architecture, etc... that really aren't warranted for only 1 of the 13 playable races in the game.

I get why it wasn't done, I guess. But I still think it's reasonable to be disappointed that the solution was 'everyone is white, don't ask questions.' Because clearly Blizzard does draw on real-world cultures for Wow ones -- humans are European, pandas are Chinese, there's those Egyptian cat-taur things.

the term Racist only works in-game and not IRL

Yeah, not going to touch that. Guys, I don't want to start a fight here, I was just asking an innocent question -- I legitimately thought the answer was going to be 'Yeah, there are darker-skinned humans in Kalimdor [or whatever], here's the Know Your Lore post.'
Edited by Nazca on 4/25/2013 2:03 PM PDT

I was just asking an innocent question

Welcome to the Wyrmrest Accord General forums.
Edited by Sulphuras on 4/25/2013 2:14 PM PDT
90 Pandaren Monk

I get why it wasn't done, I guess. But I still think it's reasonable to be disappointed that the solution was 'everyone is white, don't ask questions.' Because clearly Blizzard does draw on real-world cultures for Wow ones -- humans are European, pandas are Chinese, there's those Egyptian cat-taur things.

Therein lies the problem - what would normally be another culture or ethnicity in another game has been turned into a completely different species in WoW. Most of the races could be rewritten as human cultures and you would get exactly the effect you describe.
You don't question this stuff.

You just do it.
90 Draenei Mage
[quote]

I was just asking an innocent question

Welcome to the Wyrmrest Accord General forums.

We found a witch; may we burn her?
90 Human Monk

The topic is a common on our forums, since there have been guilds that operate under their own "fanon" that the Wastewander Bandits descended from a tribal human society native to Kalimdor.

Hence the joke.
90 Worgen Rogue
Not sure if this is a joke thread so I might be making myself look like an idiot here, but from my view:

Since skin color is related to pigmentation to block ultra-violet lights from the sun, it would be safe to assume Human's born in tropical areas that are warm and receive more sunlight would have a naturally darker skin tone then those who say were born in colder areas. Skin color doesn't necessarily determine ethnicity or allow for assumptions to be made about cultural values.

If a character descended from a family that lived for several generations in Tanaris, Stranglethorn or other areas like this then they may have a naturally darker skin color. Since these places are also extremely far from the Stormwind controlled areas of Central EK, especially in Kalimdor's case, it would make sense you might not see too many of them walking around the city.

Sense these regions have very little political stability and are mainly run by pirates and bandits such as already mentioned, it is likely that such a person would either be survivalists and care little for the nuances of culture and civilization as they are more concerned with fending off violent antagonists like pirates and bandits, or they may out of a sense for group survival decided to join one of these groups.

Maybe Stormwind sent an envoy to one of these areas and the family has lived there for several generations while building a friendly repoir with the locals for political purposes and have naturally adapted to the climate over time.

So while not any exact lore exists for "black culture" so to speak, there is plenty of possibilities for how black characters could exist effectively in roleplaying and could lead to some interesting stories and ideas. If this is something you are interested in you should totally go for it!
It's not a joke! I had no idea this was a Thing on the forums. Thanks, Adelynn, that sort of thing was exactly what I was looking for.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]