Non-white humans in lore?

(Locked)

94 Human Death Knight
Yeah, the only "different" colored ethnicity in wow is due to sun tan, in kalimdor. I guess all the others places in human society have a fair share of each color.

I guess genetics are much more...forgiving in azeroth, than in the real world.
Edited by Kalad on 4/25/2013 3:02 PM PDT
100 Undead Mage
As with anything, it's possible, although in the broad term of things, humans in WoW are predominantly lighter skinned. This most likely comes from the fact that all of the human nations originally were part of the Arathi Empire, which was father north and had a much milder climate than the south.
Edited by Taldin on 4/25/2013 3:01 PM PDT
90 Goblin Warlock
The real travesty is that there are no purple Goblins.
90 Goblin Priest
Yeah, there is no subsets of the human race in-game. I mean, there are a couple different kingdoms, but they are all handwavey western vaguely English types.

Kind of like how the term Racist only works in-game and not IRL, because last I checked, all people are humans, and all humans are the same race.

BWHAHAHAHAHA-

OH!@#$, your serious? Um. Awkward.

TEACHABLE MOMENT. Check the third section of definitions. Words, they mean things in the real world before the game world or fantasy existed in the current large capacity.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/race

TL'DR if you don't want to read: Race =/=Species.

The real travesty is that there are no purple Goblins.

OhgodnowIwantthis.
Edited by Snuffit on 4/25/2013 3:19 PM PDT
100 Human Hunter
Wow... so you're telling me that an african man and a european man are both humans but can be seen as "separate races".

I am totally floored by this information I have -never- heard. /sarcasm

But considering the MULTIPLE meanings the word 'race' can have, I was acting under the assumption that race means the human race in this conversation.

Do not twist my words or treat me like an idiot, I do not appreciate it, nor do I appreciate being treated like an uneducated bumpkin when I am in fact -not- one.

I know very well what is meant in the whole "racism" debate, I just don't make it an issue to begin with. I just treat folks by WHO they are, not WHAT. I was hoping people would pick up on that, but apparently I was unclear.
Edited by Kanas on 4/25/2013 3:55 PM PDT
You're both overreacting over pedantry.
100 Human Hunter
... okay, Areng has a point.

Sorry for biting your head off Snuffit. :(
94 Human Death Knight

To be fair, only one of them is acting in a condescending, arrogant way.
100 Undead Mage
04/25/2013 04:50 PMPosted by Kalad
To be fair,

And this is why we can't have nice threads
04/25/2013 05:20 PMPosted by Taldin
To be fair,

And this is why we can't have nice threads

Wyrmrest Accord General forums.
90 Goblin Priest
Er, sorry. That was supposed to be in my silly voice as I do like ya.

I'm just also coming off the heals of family wedding where certain family members said lovely things like "They just need to stop shooting themselves, and then they can join the rest of us on top." <talking about black people

So I think my wit meter is off. I had it turned up to eleventy during family time and now I think it's down to about a seven on the biting meter and slowly sinking (*eyes knob and tries to twist it down some more*). There is a reason why I have been posting a little less lately- I find myself unable to modulate the bite in my humor and instead of my usual "Did you mean x?" response I find myself jumping right to wit. So combo of doom.

Seriously, I told Rou a couple days ago I'm only allowing myself 15 minutes social media time. I am slow on social recovery. My bad.

Plus, I have a English Major streak a mile wide that can come rearing out going "WORDS, THEY MEAN THINGS EVEN WHEN THEY DON'T MAKE SENSE!" (See my other, vaguely related rants about the words "Threw" "Son/Sun" and so on.)
Edited by Snuffit on 4/25/2013 5:52 PM PDT
90 Human Monk
Do I count? :D

Commander Ashlam Valorfist is also dark-skinned.

*shrug* Don't think it has anything to do with where the human's from or not.
100 Human Hunter
Er, sorry. That was supposed to be in my silly voice as I do like ya.

I'm just also coming off the heals of family wedding where certain family members said lovely things like "They just need to stop shooting themselves, and then they can join the rest of us on top." <talking about black people

So I think my wit meter is off. I had it turned up to eleventy during family time and now I think it's down to about a seven on the biting meter and slowly sinking (*eyes knob and tries to twist it down some more*). There is a reason why I have been posting a little less lately- I find myself unable to modulate the bite in my humor and instead of my usual "Did you mean x?" response I find myself jumping right to wit. So combo of doom.

Seriously, I told Rou a couple days ago I'm only allowing myself 15 minutes social media time. I am slow on social recovery. My bad.

Plus, I have a English Major streak a mile wide that can come rearing out going "WORDS, THEY MEAN THINGS EVEN WHEN THEY DON'T MAKE SENSE!" (See my other, vaguely related rants about the words "Threw" "Son/Sun" and so on.)

Quite alright. :)

And in the meantime, on the subject of words having multiple meanings...

I present the town of @#%#iing, Austria:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/!@#$ing,_Austria

EDIT: LOL, it even sensored the link.
Edited by Kanas on 4/25/2013 6:09 PM PDT
90 Human Mage
Where am I from?! I am an orphan so I really don't know!
15 Worgen Rogue
If I may, I think I'll just point out that the playable Worgen, from rainy, cold, northern Gilneas, have access to the second darkest human skin tone in the character creator. People who live in Gilneas for twenty years are only going to get so tan.

And what we know about the evolution of Azeroth's humans is very different from the theories (just being safe here, please feel free to leave my head attached) of Earth's humans' evolution.

On Azeroth, the vrykul of what would become Northrend suffered the Curse of Flesh and began producing "small, weak" children. These became the early humans who would later be united as the Tribes of Arathi. (If I missed any details here, once again, I like my head very much.)

On Earth, we think that humans arose from somewhere much warmer, and probably didn't evolve from any stone humanoid.

Why is this relevant? Because I think it means neither is particularly relevant to another. What caused the different skin tones and hair textures and hair/eye colors and such on Azeroth isn't going to be the same as what caused them on Earth.

For proof, just look at the human NPCs you see everywhere. Most of the major ones are going to be fair skinned with straight hair, it's true, but the minor ones get a bit weird. For instance, one of the major three models for human boys is a kid with dark skin, a wide nose and full lips, but then you see he also has rather straight red hair and green eyes (See: William and Roman in Stormwind). This can happen in our world, sure, but does it happen with this frequency? I doubt it. Once again, this is one of the three models we had for boys. I think we added two or three more with Cataclysm, but I'd say it's still pretty major.

In conclusion, I'd have to agree with those who say that ethnicity in human lore goes about as far as the Seven Kingdoms and a handful of outside groups. Skin color plays a role in very little of it.

[I have a tendency to say things in the order A-C-F, and B, D, and E may never show up. So... I may have to come back and edit this. Mgugh. Hope you can kinda-sorta follow my train of thought, anyway.]
Edited by Thanno on 4/26/2013 4:47 AM PDT
Why is this relevant? Because I think it means neither is particularly relevant to another. What caused the different skin tones and hair textures and hair/eye colors and such on Azeroth isn't going to be the same as what caused them on Earth.

I really think that this is the long and short of it, personally, and I definitely prefer to hope that that was Blizzard's intention as well.

There's a lot of racism in the game, but it's all related to actual you're some kind of alien from another planet what are you WHY ARE YOU GREEN ?!?! sort of racism. The sexism that occurs in RP that mirrors real-world and OOC views of gender and gender roles is already kind of frustrating at times as it seems to nudge the IC/OOC line really strongly. Seeing that apply to racism and having real-world parallels brought into the game regarding skin tone would be really discomfiting.

Could it be done well? Definitely! Could it open up a lot of really unfortunate OOC-ignorance or racism, and potentially allow a really negative environment for PoC to engage in? Yeah, I think it would. If 'it's just IC!' is already really frustrating with sexism, I can't imagine what it would be like if black/white issues were written into the game and given a 'lore' reason for people to make racist remarks.
90 Night Elf Druid
It's confusing, because the fact that there still do seem to be varied ethnicities among humanity means that there's been a degree of separation, keeping the groups distinct. It has to be regional to some extent.

Either that, or skin colour is random in Azerothian humans and isn't genetic.
15 Worgen Rogue
Well... I wouldn't say it wasn't genetic. People in the same family seem to look alike. But we have people with different eye colors, different hair colors and textures, and different skin tones in the same ethnic group here on Earth. Why not on Azeroth?

Of course, we don't have the same kind of variation the Warcraft humans do. But I've not heard of any ethnic groups in our world that are entirely homogenized.

There is, of course, the possibility that certain phenotypes arose when the various human tribes were scattered, though it's evident they didn't bring any culture tied to their phenotype (which makes me wary to call these phenotypes 'races' or 'ethnic groups'.)

Or it could be that the people of the Seven Kingdoms DO have certain common characteristics. But considering how little the leaders we've seen from all seven kingdoms have differed from each other in appearance, I'd have to say there's no evidence of that.

So, age old response, I guess.
It's a game.
Don't think too much.
90 Goblin Mage
So, age old response, I guess.
It's a game.
Don't think too much.

We are here to have fun! Debates, genreal silliness, and the occasional confrontation is only a portion of the game we play.

Believe me, I love a good debate and would participate in them more often if I felt there was something worth adding.

However, just this once, I say, try not to turn this into something it is not. It all falls to a matter of choice. You want to be a dark-skinned human of [insert relative diction here] descent? Go for it!

Now for my personal views in regards to race.

*hops on soapbox*

We all love. We all live. We all laugh. As far as I am concerned, you are human, and so am I. I will act respectfully so long as you do so in kind.

*falls off soapbox*

No worries!

=)
90 Goblin Priest
A note: People of other ethnicity don't want their ethnicity ignored because that is how cultures disappear and it's quite dehumanizing. You start saying "BUT WE'RE ALL PEOPLE" and that's a great way to ignore pretty much everything about someone's background. Colour blindness is harmful, and you can acknowledge someone else's ethnicity without being a jerk about it. The great thing about humanity? We're made up of many different parts. Try not to be afraid of that, that's how you turn into a racist.

On that note: "medieval" "european" setting =/= "there were no people of colour". No. Really. Trust me on this. Blizzard screwed up and was horribly lazy and pandering to the crowd they think is the majority but actually isn't.

I'm a horrible cynic.

ETA: Fear of the concept of being a decent human being (what a lot of folks call "political correctness") is silly.
Edited by Phædra on 4/26/2013 12:20 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]