Sudden/Random FPS crashes.

90 Pandaren Shaman
Lately (from the 24th of april) ive been having sudden/random fps crashes in 10man/25man raids, my computer isnt all that great and since the launch of 5.2 ive had low fps, even though before patch it was just fine, i thought it had gone, but in 10man/25man today with no other programs/browsers open, my fps crashes to 0 for no reason and doesnt recover until the fight is over, ive tried restarting wow during the fps crashes and it does not fix the issue.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I've been having similar problems. Before the patch I ran smoothly at max fps (I've got a pretty nice computer), but lately I will get terrible drops in fps. Usually they drop to 6-9 fps and there doesn't seem to be any pattern at all. Usually it will last for a minute or two, then clear up for about 30 seconds. These are very rough estimates but that's the kind of randomness and frequency that it occurs.It happens running dailies, 5 mans, lfr, even in town. I'm not on a heavily populated server, and the majority of players on the other factions sides. Needless to say it is VERY frustrating.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Itsi ,

We need to start by getting the game back to the default settings so as to eliminate addons and addon settings as the cause. You can do that temporarily and not lose any customization you've done.

With the game closed please rename your WTF folder to WTF.bak and INTERFACE
folder to INTERFACE.bak. Delete the Cache folder entirely. These hold setting info and temporary cache files that will be recreated by the game the next time you launch. Renaming them allows you to rename them back later if this step doesn't resolve anything.

NOTE: Please also make sure to remove any and all addon auto-installers or auto-updaters you may have, as those can automatically reinstall addons for you, possibly causing further issues.

Now start the game up again and see if the issue is still there.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I defragged my computer and it seems to have cleared up, for now. If the fps crashes persist ill have to try the addon removal ect, ill be testing it in LFR soon to see how it goes, ill get back to you :D
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Seems like its improved from the defragging i did, we'll see in 25man nm tomorrow though :D
Reply Quote
87 Dwarf Warrior
I've been having similar problems. Before the patch I ran smoothly at max fps (I've got a pretty nice computer), but lately I will get terrible drops in fps. Usually they drop to 6-9 fps and there doesn't seem to be any pattern at all. Usually it will last for a minute or two, then clear up for about 30 seconds. These are very rough estimates but that's the kind of randomness and frequency that it occurs.It happens running dailies, 5 mans, lfr, even in town. I'm not on a heavily populated server, and the majority of players on the other factions sides. Needless to say it is VERY frustrating.

I have the same issue as this. My computer is set to defrag every wed at 1 am so thats not my issue, its the same as said above normally ill have 60+ and the FPS will drop to around 6-9 for a few min then returns to normal...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
So what would you say to the people like my room mate who have all of their drivers updated, the newest GTX, 4 gigs+ of ram, no add ons, deleted the WTF, Cache and Interface folders and are still dropping down to 0-2 FPS?

Is it still our computers? The flaw is looking at our computers rather than what on the company side of the game is going wrong. It's not US.

Others have said it so I'll say it again.

It isn't our drivers. It isn't our computers. It's the game and it got massively worse since patch 5.2 start investigating what went wrong with patch 5.2 and what changed to have caused these FPS crashes.

on Elegon and primordius it's shadow rendering causing the FPS crashes.

I can't tell you what's causing the crashes on Lei-Shen and Ji-kun.

P.S. - There's massive FPS drops at both of the shrines for many players. It's the same issue that we saw in SMC in the throne room that kept players from being able to go there due to their FPS dropping to 0-2 FPS. Except now it's happening all over and not isolated to one area.

I have also noticed that: Swirling pink, purple, black, blue - smoke effects, shadow effects or lightning effects that have been 'updated' are also causing the FPS drop. Whatever was changed with the visuals of those graphics since MoP launch (And then again in 5.2) I believe, is what is causing the FPS drops.

Then again maybe it's the combination of the failed 'upgraded' graphics on top of the even more fail CRZ.

they know. we know. they know we know. if it was something they could have fixed by now, they would probably have fixed it by now.
Reply Quote
87 Dwarf Warrior
So what would you say to the people like my room mate who have all of their drivers updated, the newest GTX, 4 gigs+ of ram, no add ons, deleted the WTF, Cache and Interface folders and are still dropping down to 0-2 FPS?

Is it still our computers? The flaw is looking at our computers rather than what on the company side of the game is going wrong. It's not US.

Others have said it so I'll say it again.

It isn't our drivers. It isn't our computers. It's the game and it got massively worse since patch 5.2 start investigating what went wrong with patch 5.2 and what changed to have caused these FPS crashes.

on Elegon and primordius it's shadow rendering causing the FPS crashes.

I can't tell you what's causing the crashes on Lei-Shen and Ji-kun.

P.S. - There's massive FPS drops at both of the shrines for many players. It's the same issue that we saw in SMC in the throne room that kept players from being able to go there due to their FPS dropping to 0-2 FPS. Except now it's happening all over and not isolated to one area.

I have also noticed that: Swirling pink, purple, black, blue - smoke effects, shadow effects or lightning effects that have been 'updated' are also causing the FPS drop. Whatever was changed with the visuals of those graphics since MoP launch (And then again in 5.2) I believe, is what is causing the FPS drops.

Then again maybe it's the combination of the failed 'upgraded' graphics on top of the even more fail CRZ.

they know. we know. they know we know. if it was something they could have fixed by now, they would probably have fixed it by now.

should just go talk to bioware, this happened with TOR also...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]