Resto Shaman Reforging Help

90 Tauren Shaman
Int: 8334
Haste: 5171
Crit: 1935
Mastery: 4749
Spirit: 3939

I'm currently running scenarios, 5-man heroics, and dailies. I want to run LFR or 10M raids in the future. I'm aware that I'm missing a leg enchant.

I'm not sure how to reforge. I'm over the 12.5 soft haste cap by about 2000 haste (but I can't reach the 25% soft cap). Mana regen, I'm happy with, so no point reforging in or out of Spirit.

How should I balance Mastery and Crit?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It's really, really, really, hard to say. I mean, there's specific numbers people can quote at you and there's plenty of mathematical and empirical evidence to support the theories. But everything is so crazy that how you do it really changes the feel of how you play. As I've been experimenting, I'll break it down like this...

Mastery is great if your raid goes low. Under 45% for Single target spells. (If you're in a 25 man, it's like 63% for Chain heals.) If they go there a lot, then there isn't a limit on how great mastery is. There's this bizarre notion that your Mastery should be right around 50%. I hate it, but I can't get rid of it to get below 50%. So *shrug* If my group is falling that low, my 70+% mastery wasn't gonna turn the tide.

Crit serves three purposes: those random bigger heals, causing Ancestral Awakening smart heal, and resurgence. It's also a stat that scales badly. Having high crit really means you can get a fair amount of mana back from casting. By just really keeping up on my Tidal Wave buffs, those Healing Wave crits really pop your mana up! I was getting to ~25% crit, so I was noticing it a lot.

Haste just makes your spells go faster, and in nice cases up your totem ticks. I'm currently running a full on Haste to get to the top cap and snipe the heals of my other healers. I'm so freaking annoyed by them in trying to get them to work with me. Instead, all my heals were getting sniped and the one announced he's going to go with a less mana efficient heavier haste build so he can heal more and have me support him with a mana battery.

This build has been nice in the fact that I can really pump out the healing waves and keep my mana a lot more steady with my mana cheap spell. With the 2pc HST totem ticks and 4 pc AA procs from non-crits, it seems like a build I can live with.

So to answer your question in a very longwinded way, go with Mastery if people fall low enough for it to be of use, otherwise go with Crit. But if you want to do raids in the future, you're gonna need a lot more spirit.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
There is very little chance you'll manage LFR, even, with Spirit that low.

Some skilled resto shamans do raid with less than 10k, but while you're finding your raiding feet, you'll certainly be looking for more.

In the meantime, ditch Haste for Crit, for mana regen via Resurgence.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Agree with Ellarix. Shamans stacking spirit isn't only for self use (although more is always nice), MTT gives all other healers 2x your spirit for a short period of time and this is a great source of mana regen for everyone else. 10k more spirit for you is 20k more for EVERYONE else for a period of time.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
You should definitely be working on getting your spirit up rn, then hitting your haste soft cap at least! And I agree, although people say your mastery should stay around 50%, a bit more than that never hurt anyone, and with raid healing shaman mastery is AMAZING for heavy aoe phases.
Although you might not see a problem with your mana regin rn, it will be painfully obvious once you get into raid finder that you need more!
As for help reforging (gemming, enchanting, etc) http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/shaman/restoration/reforging-gear is a great resource!
Edited by Avanedera on 4/25/2013 8:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
At low gear levels, I would stay with the standard Spirit>Crit>Mastery>Haste stat priority and take Ancestral Swiftness to automatically have the first haste breakpoint. Crit builds are debatable at higher gear levels (at 515+ ilevel playing with going for higher haste breakpoints is worth it), but at lower gear levels, the bonus to regen alone combined with the at least comparable output makes Spirit/Crit likely the safest bet.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Read this and then get back to us:

http://lifeingroup5.com/?p=2965
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman

Your first focus needs to be spirit right now.

You're sitting at extremely low spirit. If the piece does not have spirit on it- reforge it into spirit (your shield and leggings for example).

Gemwise: Intel/spirit hybrids (I want to say it's a purple gem- can't remember off the top of my head) into red slots, pure spirit into blue slots, there's also a mastery/spirit green gem for yellow sockets.

Work on your reps also (the new island dailies have 476 gear)- don't just buy the pvp gear and not reforge into spirit. If you have justice points, the justice point gear does not have a rep requirement.

After that, focus on mastery or crit. Spirit has to come first though. Personally, I would advise on lowering your haste right now: until you have a decent balance between spirit, mastery and crit. At your gear level, I don't advise that much haste- you don't have the mana regen to support it.
Edited by Jujubiju on 4/25/2013 9:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

Gemwise: Intel/spirit hybrids (I want to say it's a purple gem- can't remember off the top of my head)

Yep, purple gem, cut's called "Purified".
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Gemwise: Intel/spirit hybrids (I want to say it's a purple gem- can't remember off the top of my head)

Yep, purple gem, cut's called "Purified".

Yep, Purified Imperial Amethyst. Sell like hotcakes on my realm and for good reason, it's a great balance of spirit and intellect and most sockets for healers seem to be either red or blue (I've got ONE yellow only and it's one of the only ones i've actually seen).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Thanks for the advice everyone! :) I'll probably end up snipping of some Haste, grab tons of Spirit, and balance Crit and Mastery.

Read this and then get back to us:

That link was incredibly helpful. Thanks for posting it, Taymage!

Personally, I would advise on lowering your haste right now: until you have a decent balance between spirit, mastery and crit

I'll probably lower my Haste to about 3039 (12.5% softcap); I'm sitting at about 5k Haste right now. Thanks, Jubjubiju! I was blindly chasing after softcaps, didn't realize my (lack of) mana regen couldn't support it.

Although you might not see a problem with your mana regin rn, it will be painfully obvious once you get into raid finder that you need more!

And, once I get more, I'll probably wonder why I didn't see a problem with my mana regen. :P
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Healing forums are often full of helpful advice, don't be afraid to ask anything.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Ignore Haste for now, get rid of all of it that you can via reforging.

Would you recommend replacing the enchant on my gloves (Greater Haste) with something else? When should I start worrying about Haste? What's considered a mid or high gear level in MoP? The only thing I would replace it with is Superior Mastery, but I'm comfortable with my Mastery already (sitting around 48.88% or so).
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I would highly suggest running the Arena of Annihilation Scenario for the free 450 ilvl mace. Heck some of the 458 pvp crafted gear can help a lot with heroic farming and early LFR's. I barely hit 90 on this toon a few days ago as well and while gearing up I've noticed that spirit seems to be lacking on early gear and haste is plentiful. Getting to the second breakpoint is very easy once you hit around 460ish gear.

Try to get whatever upgrades you can, crafted pvp gear, JP gear, discounted VP gear. Heck I even started converting JP to honor to get a few pvp pieces that were huge upgrades over my quest greens. The Operation Shieldwall/Dominance Offensive trinket is pretty decent as well.
Edited by Domlo on 4/28/2013 3:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
04/26/2013 06:18 PMPosted by Kuwilei
Haste just makes your spells go faster, and in nice cases up your totem ticks. I'm currently running a full on Haste to get to the top cap and snipe the heals of my other healers. I'm so freaking annoyed by them in trying to get them to work with me. Instead, all my heals were getting sniped and the one announced he's going to go with a less mana efficient heavier haste build so he can heal more and have me support him with a mana battery.

Don't be this guy. It isn't about sniping other people's heals. If you really want to do that, why are you even playing a Shaman?

This is my Shaman. I really went full on haste and with my other two healers it works out really well. It allows you to spam healing wave more, gets more smart healing from Ancestral Awakenings and HST (with 4 pc) and I still have enough spirit to keep going.

Honestly, I never wanted to play a Shaman, but it's a class that really rounds a group out. I much prefer my Priest. It's just frustrating to see mastery wasted, so I really had to figure out the best way to synergize with my Disc Priest and Holy Pally. I'm not really sniping their heals hardcore, because our Disc Priest can keep his penance offensive and our Paladin can stack mastery shields, so nobody is really ever below 90% health. Most typically everyone's bar is full.
Edited by Shaylana on 4/28/2013 5:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Int: 8334
Haste: 5171
Crit: 1935
Mastery: 4749
Spirit: 3939

I'm currently running scenarios, 5-man heroics, and dailies. I want to run LFR or 10M raids in the future. I'm aware that I'm missing a leg enchant.

I'm not sure how to reforge. I'm over the 12.5 soft haste cap by about 2000 haste (but I can't reach the 25% soft cap). Mana regen, I'm happy with, so no point reforging in or out of Spirit.

Your spirit is ludicrously low and despite what others are saying, there is zero reason for you to have that amount of haste. It is a terrible, terrible idea, especially when combined with that low of spirit. The person telling you she went "full haste" is sitting there working on heroic modes with an item level of 520. You couldn't possibly do anything worse than stack haste with the low amount of spirit you have. Ignore that advice.

Additionally, please decline to listen to people who give you a rigid formula. For example, you will hear "Mastery to 50% then crit"; or perhaps you will see people tell you that crit>mastery. Ignore that.

If you'd like to read a nice discussion of Mastery vs. Crit, read this: http://lifeingroup5.com/?p=2965
Edited by Taymage on 4/28/2013 5:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]