Resto Shaman Reforging Help

90 Blood Elf Priest
I see what you're getting at. If encounters are so easy,
nobody is really ever below 90% health

then it doesn't matter what your stats are. You probably should be DPS, honestly. Which raises the question, why are you not further in Heroic ToT if it's that easy? If it's a dps roadblock, you should definitely switch, since you already stated your healing isn't needed.

I'm starting to get them to let me DPS instead so they can 2 heal fights. DPS'd on Twins this week. We're not further along because the group started late, so we've been downing the first weeks in 496 gear. Now that the group is roughly i514, we're starting to push heroics.

But I still think that for a Shaman who is a fairly fresh 90 and working to solve mana issues does not want any Haste, that's something to look into later on. I for one, am used for the entire fight, and my throughput is often higher than even disc priests I raid with.

However this isn't always the case, many Rsham are used as a safety net, for the CD's, Mana Battery, and Mastery/smart heals for big damage spikes, in which case, Haste is preferred.

I think that's part of the problem. Our raid CDs are so good plus the mana battery that we don't have to heal as hard. But having a lot of absorbs in MoP with Disc and Holy Pals, making better use of the smart healing from HST and AA seems to synergize better. When I was at lower haste (871 and the 3764ish), I'd cast a heal on someone at 40% and see their bar fill before my Greater Healing Wave would hit in 1.4 seconds. It's not that we didn't need 3 heals, it's that my heals were so much slower than others.

So if a starting Sham is gearing up, I'd recommend Crit over Haste or Mastery. It's a huge Spirit saver. If you have a group that is constantly falling below the Mastery breakpoints, then go with Mastery. But I think once Healing Wave becomes mana neutral (positive with resurgence), then I really think Haste is a big way to go.
Edited by Feythylan on 4/29/2013 1:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
So if a starting Sham is gearing up, I'd recommend Crit over Haste or Mastery. It's a huge Spirit saver. If you have a group that is constantly falling below the Mastery breakpoints, then go with Mastery. But I think once Healing Wave becomes mana neutral (positive with resurgence), then I really think Haste is a big way to go.

Here's the thing though- our mastery is effective when someone is at 90% HP. It's effective when someone's at 99% health (I don't know of too many people that start healing at 99% health- which is why I always state 90%).

Beside that, a newer shaman never wants to go haste crazy when they are first gearing up. Especially when they have almost no spirit. The haste thresholds are also different depending on a few factors:

1) 10 or 25?
2) LFR, normal or heroic?
3) What's your healer comp? (If LFR, this can't be answered.)

These things absolutely matter when it comes to raiding.

Now for 5 mans, it's a bit different. Since you are the only healer:

1) Do I have enough spirit in which I'm not going OOM every fight/every trash pack?
2) Mastery is actually a decent stat when doing 5 mans. Especially since it kicks in even if someone is at 90% HP.
3) Haste threshold in a 5 man is not going to be as high. Especially since a lot of it is single target healing.
4) Crit- once again- an iffy stat.

If we were talking about the OP raiding, it would be completely different.
Edited by Jujubiju on 4/30/2013 7:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
But I think once Healing Wave becomes mana neutral (positive with resurgence), then I really think Haste is a big way to go.

Is there a Spirit breakpoint for this?
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
Why are you reiterating 90%? It works for any healing done, even 99%. That does not make it preferred. Crit will always be better than Mastery if the target's health is high

Because, believe it or not- there are some people that still do not realize that our mastery is always effective. I always say 90% mainly because I don't know of too many people who heal someone at 99%. (My personal rule is don't start healing until 85%).

At lower gear level's mastery is still slightly better because he's the only healer- which means it is more beneficial than crit when there's an "Uh-oh" moment. Until he starts doing LFR- then it starts getting tricky. LFR healing is like a box of chocolates- you never know what healer combo you're going to get.

As I said above, it matters when raiding as far as mastery/crit/haste goes. And then there's other factor's to considered.

Personally, I like to try and keep things balanced between my stats.

The only Spirit breakpoint you have is the one that makes you comfortable with mana. Will vary by healer and build, and you shouldn't go too far over it. If you have 40% mana at the end of a fight, you have too much. But by all means, err on the side of caution.

^ this OP.

Spirit to comfort.

I recommend downloading something like weakauras and setting it up to yell out for mana tide totem when you are sitting at 75% mana- at least until you get into the habit of remembering to throw it down by default (meaning, you look at your mana bar and just automatically do it).
Edited by Jujubiju on 4/30/2013 7:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
I recommend downloading something like weakauras and setting it up to yell out for mana tide totem when you are sitting at 75% mana- at least until you get into the habit of remembering to throw it down by default (meaning, you look at your mana bar and just automatically do it).

Thanks for the suggestion! I may grab that when I move onto raids.

When I run heroics, I'm usually finishing bosses at about 80-90% mana, unless everyone decides to stand in the fire. I rarely dip down below 75%; that happens if people are standing in the fire or I heal stupidly (Healing Wave when I should Chain Heal, etc.).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]