Raid Boss Frontal Parry

90 Troll Priest
I'm done with this. If you're gonna have a cry about being a melee, roll a ranged. Seeing as they're superior to melee in every way. Make it a hunter. No, a warlock. They're really strong right now. See you in a week or two on your new level 90 warlock.
Edited by Èighteen on 4/30/2013 11:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Here we go.

You've done nothing here but complain but haven't added anything to make your argument the least bit stronger. All you have done is poke at the points that I have brought to the table. If you're going to have a constructive debate with me, at least bring something to add. All you've done is say that melee suck in heroics in general. I know what it's like to be a melee. It's not as bad as what you're making it out to be. You can DPS on the move with little to no DPS loss at best as long as you stay within melee range. I played a ret paladin for a while and experienced exactly what you did but stopped because I didn't like the dance-dance-revolution style of play you have to do to play ret. In some ways I'm agreeing with you, yes it sucks to be melee but no where near the degree that you're making it out to be.

Melee is exciting and engaging and if we had a spot in our raid team to have another melee I would jump on the chance to play my Rogue again. But not only that, I love my shadow priest so I'm going to stick with her. Removing parry out of the equation or even making it so that your debuffs land when parried even with 7.5% expertise is not the right way to go. Melee don't need this sort of buff. You all have ways to deal with getting back into melee range and while they all aren't exceptional, it's something.
Edited by Èighteen on 4/30/2013 11:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
05/01/2013 12:25 AMPosted by Lobster
There are mechanics melee deal with that are nowhere near as deadly for ranged, such as pink dinosaurs on horridon.

This would be true if there weren't so many mechanics that melee can just ignore. I'm not pretending ranged stacking isn't typically advantageous, but as one of the few melee brought to fights it's typically rather easy.

From this expac:

Stone Guards favored ranged. Feng, melee don't get resonance, slight edge for melee. Gara'jal was even. On spirit kings melee lost way less DPS to annihilate and cleave, but lost more on Meng kiting. However, they didn't have to deal with the spread for pinning arrow, and volley is a joke to avoid in melee. Elegon again pretty even. Will was hard to really compare.

Vizier was about even, melee lost less dps on attenuation if you did it properly. Blade lord, melee didn't have to deal with the obnoxious torandos and wind step -- positioning was a joke. Next 2 pretty even. Amber shaper melee had the knock back while ranged had scalpel + tank throw stuns. Empress, melee had 0 mechanics to deal with in phase 1.

Protectors pretty even, maybe range favored for dpsing while getting buffs from the adds. Tsulong was a joke for melee in comparison due to no nightmares. Lei Shi was a joke for everyone. On sha melee didn't have to deal with waterspout.

This tier, Jin'rokh is a wash, Horridon is way worse for melee but a really easy fight in general, Council probably favors ranged slighty (kaz running around), on Tortos ranged do all the work. Meg ranged get ice beams, which I don't think go on melee, but melee get occasional frontal hitting issues. Durumu favors ranged because melee are mostly screwed on ice wall damage. Primo (with our strat at least) melee tunnel most of the whole time. Animus sucks for everyone. Qon favors melee to a huge degree -- enough melee and you can only have the spear go on melee, and they can just move and not have to deal with dead zone, which is a terrible mechanic to deal with as ranged. Also, they don't have to worry about arc lightning at all. Consorts is probably a wash--she charges out of range of everyone, ranged have to deal with spreading issues way more than melee do. Lei Shen is pretty good for melee too (melee ball lightning stack), but pretty reasonable for everyone.

The best example for melee ignoring fight mechanics was probably H Rag, however. 0 dps loss on world in flames, and ignored almost every relevant ability until p4.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
At least there isn't parry haste any more.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
"Melee can just tunnel" isn't a good reason to play melee. Sure, melee can sit on the boss and ignore many mechanics. But then WHO IS DOING THE OTHERS?

On Tortos, the ranged can do a melee's job(sit on boss and cleave bats) easily, while melee can't chase whirl turtles around effectively. This is basically what we're talking about. Melee is simply not as useful in a lot of these so-called "melee friendly fights".
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
melee vs ranged aside...if a melee gets to the expertise/hit caps, it shouldnt matter where you attack a npc. if you make a conscious effort to get capped, why should you miss?

if someone is at 0% for both then by all means, parries all day. but if you are capped, just take those off the table.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
"Melee can just tunnel" isn't a good reason to play melee. Sure, melee can sit on the boss and ignore many mechanics. But then WHO IS DOING THE OTHERS?

On Tortos, the ranged can do a melee's job(sit on boss and cleave bats) easily, while melee can't chase whirl turtles around effectively. This is basically what we're talking about. Melee is simply not as useful in a lot of these so-called "melee friendly fights".

Ding ding ding, 100% correct.

Just because a fight is easier for a melee doesn't make it melee friendly. You could stack all ranged and still get the job done, probably easier. You could never stack melee. The fight is either easy enough to where it doesn't matter either way, or it's preferable to have ranged, even if they have more responsibility.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]