When IC behavior gets creepy

90 Goblin Shaman
04/24/2013 05:49 PMPosted by Viezra
Screenshot the creepiness. Post it somewhere public and laugh.

Get banned from both these forums and the WRA.org forums for a callout.

Never said post it on the forums, now did I.
Reply Quote
The funniest thing about warcraftsues and similar sites is that the people posting on them are about a thousand times more intolerable than the people whose RP descriptions get posted.
Reply Quote
92 Draenei Paladin
My issue with this kind of creepy behavior is how very often the IC/OOC divide is abused by people who just want to act like that and have a convenient excuse for getting away with it.

I like dark, edgy characters and themes in my RP. Most of my characters fall on a line between "messed up" and "borderline evil." However, of all the lessons I learned doing that back in my Murder Row days, I think the most important two are 1) The initiating party is responsible for opening and maintaining OOC communication to make sure everyone's okay with what's going on and 2) People broadly project their own desires through their characters, which is merely annoying when it's someone who refuses to lose a fight but can be triggering when it comes to folks with creepier inclinations.

tl;dr "It's only IC!" is a valid explanation in theory, but in practice is far too often a lie.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The funniest thing about warcraftsues and similar sites is that the people posting on them are about a thousand times more intolerable than the people whose RP descriptions get posted.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
04/24/2013 10:58 PMPosted by Dawnblood
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Shaman
I have a tendency to be very descriptive of my characters, and quite possibly describe more than I need to. I'm not about the change this, really, because that's how I enjoy writing, however I've gotten more than the fair share of comments and /whistles on Taly. I usually dismiss it though, since its usually just something said in passing.

I've only ever had one creepy experience with a Death Knight. Now, I don't begrudge anyone for the off-handed "How you doin'?" comments, or anything of the sort since for the most part they don't push the envelope when things get uncomfortable. But yeah, this guy was clearly fishing for ERP, buying Taly drink after drink after drink for about an hour, dropping the occasional OOC comment of how he liked larger women and all that.

Persistent, but annoying considering IC'ly, I'd shown absolutely no interest and was just in it for free the booze. He eventually left, but yeah, I hate being rude and sticking my nose up at people in random RP, so I was left to stew in both mild amusement and discomfort.
Reply Quote
I don't even see a need to let them know OOCly. If I'm suitably irked or uncomfortable, I don't feel a need to interact with them.

^ This.

And this. v
My issue with this kind of creepy behavior is how very often the IC/OOC divide is abused by people who just want to act like that and have a convenient excuse for getting away with it.

In terms of boundaries, if someone makes overtly sexual comments, then I am OUT. Nope. I seriously cannot imagine any reason to make really explicit comments. If someone is comfortable doing that without making sure that the other person is okay with the commentary first, then I don't want to interact with them, period.

The same goes for sexual assault. I flat out will put on ignore anyone who attempts to sexually assault one of my female characters without specifically asking my permission beforehand. It's a thing. People do that; I've seen friends subjected to that kind of attempt on their character without their permission or asking their comfort level beforehand. Just. No.

OOC comfort > IC integrity of character, every damn time.

The way I've kind of explained things to people who weren't certain was: If you think it's borderline or you're not sure, then ask first.

Unfortunately, a lot of the people who don't ask first don't see anything wrong with creepy behaviour. :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Saying something OOC is a good idea. I had some similar discomfort Horde-side with an Orc guy where I wish I had said something sooner because hints were not being taken. Hints don't work. You gotta put your foot down and let them know that's not okay.

Agree with this sentiment and also, maybe you'll be teaching them something!
Reply Quote
I can't help but wonder if this post is inspired by a certain Human creeper who seems to come after Dwarves and Gnomes on a regular basis... He even tried to get into THIS character's pants and she's old enough to be his grandma's grandma! And yes, I was very uncomfortable with that.

Certainly an incident involving a human who likes dwarf women was on my mind, but it's not one single situation. I wonder if it was the same one? I couldn't tell if he was IC or OOC, but he was /hugging me and squealing about how cute my braid was... ick. There's also a gnome who apparently has a thing for this toon.
Reply Quote
04/24/2013 04:47 PMPosted by Vandrysse
Could be the same guy on an alt. The Human one went after another Dwarf I know too. Didn't know about the Draenei. :P Ugh.

I'll tell you what creeps me out: imagining there are several of us going "It's that guy again?"

I dunno if it's creepier that it may all be the same guy, or that there might be a bunch of them. O_o

Certainly an incident involving a human who likes dwarf women was on my mind, but it's not one single situation. I wonder if it was the same one? I couldn't tell if he was IC or OOC, but he was /hugging me and squealing about how cute my braid was... ick. There's also a gnome who apparently has a thing for this toon.

Was he a Hunter? I'm pretty sure the guy I'm thinking of was a hunter. In my case though he tried to act like he was going for legit RP at first. It was the first time I was walking around Stormwind on Strig too and all excited for a chance to RP her. SO disappointing. And as a bonus he tried to talk me out of bailing when I told him no OOCly as if my being uncomfortable was all my fault and I should just go with it /shudder. Creep.
Reply Quote
04/25/2013 06:17 AMPosted by Lalaith
Saying something OOC is a good idea. I had some similar discomfort Horde-side with an Orc guy where I wish I had said something sooner because hints were not being taken. Hints don't work. You gotta put your foot down and let them know that's not okay.

Agree with this sentiment and also, maybe you'll be teaching them something!

After a certain point, it gets to be pointless trying to do that. I used to try to do that, but it only netted even more creepiness and downright stalker-like behaviour. If you acknowledge creepy people even in a negative way, they seem to think that it's invitation to pursue you and your known friends/guildmates/etc.

That, and that I'm in a game to have fun, not teach people how to be decent to each other or mother them. :S If they have close friends who recognize their behaviour and those friends are comfortable speaking to them about it, then that's good. However, I don't think that those they creep out should be subjected to spending time around them or engaging in discussion with them if they're uncomfortable.
Reply Quote
92 Gnome Warlock
Had a guildie tell me last night that someone her told they like to wear diapers. I encouraged her to Report it. As far as I'm concerned thats waay past the RP line and well into deviant land, and has no place on this realm.

Whoever it was got lucky and didnt approach Forbs, because I'd have come down on him like a tiny ton of terror.

- Forbs
"For Gnomeregan!"
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Had a guildie tell me last night that someone her told they like to wear diapers. I encouraged her to Report it. As far as I'm concerned thats waay past the RP line and well into deviant land, and has no place on this realm.

Whoever it was got lucky and didnt approach Forbs, because I'd have come down on him like a tiny ton of terror.

- Forbs
"For Gnomeregan!"

People like that rarely offend me. I think often times that is part of a strange kink is the shock people have when they say it. So freaking out is giving them what they want! I more treat it as a joke and have a laugh. They won't get what they want from me but I get entertainment from them. I often wonder is such a thing is a violation of my code of ethics but I can't help finding strange human behavior hilarious.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Eh. I must be jaded by some of the messages I receive on some sites I'm on, somebody telling me they wear diapers would mostly just elicit a 'I'm not into that, but good for you, rock on with your kink and I'll rock on with mine'.

Of course, this may be because some of the messages I receive are worthy of every nope.gif on the planet.
Reply Quote
Good luck with reporting someone for saying "I like wearing diapers."
Reply Quote
Eh. I must be jaded by some of the messages I receive on some sites I'm on, somebody telling me they wear diapers would mostly just elicit a 'I'm not into that, but good for you, rock on with your kink and I'll rock on with mine'.

Of course, this may be because some of the messages I receive are worthy of every nope.gif on the planet.

This. So very much this.

Thats a wonderful opinion you have there, and you are justified in all rights to say it.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Not to start the whole Horde vs Alliance debate but I never see or hear of any of this kinda stuff on the Horde.
Reply Quote
You're a male character which is one very large part of it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]