What Defines Good Healing?

100 Night Elf Druid
6 healers is waaayyyyyyyy too many healers for LFR content; the damage LFR fights do is scaled waaaayyyyyy down from normal-mode damage, and so then to force the group to bring 6 heal-specc'd players is... ridiculous.

Damage is lower, and also, at the OP's ilvl they can expect to almost always be the least geared healer there, sometimes by quite large margins. Druids are disadvantaged in "competitive healing" situations, although as Linnelle points out, that doesn't really matter, so you just have to not sweat meter positions unless the raid is taking enough damage to actually threaten them.

04/24/2013 04:40 PMPosted by Elethia
This may not be possible (I'm not sure if you're able to get into a pug [non-LFR] raid this week), but it would be fantastic to see logs.

At 471 with no previous normal mode clear? Seems unlikely, unless Good Guy Greg is a real person, plays WoW, and is on their server leading a pug raid this week.

04/25/2013 11:13 AMPosted by Gemknight
If one of the healers does 6% of the total healing but no one dies because the other 5 JUST manage to cover that, it doesn't mean the healer doing 6% healing is doing good.

It doesn't mean they're doing bad, either, if they're an outgeared druid in an LFR with low incoming damage in the first place. If the raid actually is coming close to death then it's not a sniping problem, but you can't really tell that from total healing done.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It doesn't mean they're doing bad, either, if they're an outgeared druid in an LFR with low incoming damage in the first place. If the raid actually is coming close to death then it's not a sniping problem, but you can't really tell that from total healing done.

I know my "example" was rather extreme but I don't consider LFR an accurate representation of good healing.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Speed is most important IMO. If you aren't quick to do max healing or know how to save people quickly, the rest of your toolset will always be weaker due to a lack of speed.

Placing your wild growth on the center most person that can maximize the smart heal benefit out of it by looking at people on the ground (not just the healing bars) is a nice talent to have. Being able to center your efflorescence correctly most of the time is important.

Just think of cool things you can do, like DPS with HotW with needed, pre-pot with it even. If mana isn't any issue, forge into some other stats. Keep faerie fire up on bosses if you have free globals and someone isn't already doing it. If you can help DPS (like eggs on ji-kun), use a soul of the forest hasted hurricane.

Just think of cool little tricks, and they're awesome when they work out.

Nothing really matters though until you get the speed to handle it ;( So I'd say focus on speed being #1 priority, then everything else comes easier.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Good healing is what you're doing, you're trying.

Normally I top the meters in LFR. Am I the best healer? To a point. I'm certainly better than the priest who sits at full mana all the way through the fight, yet that priest is last on the healing meters, AND our full raid is at half health; meanwhile me and the other healers are struggling to keep people alive as we try to heal with 4% mana.

At least you're not afraid to try and you go OOM. I'd rather have you anyday than the priest that would rather stay at full mana and not do anything while people die in the raid.

Other than that keep trying. Research your class and what kind of gear/stats best suit you. Look up how you should reforge and gem, and what talents and glyphs are best for raiding on your class.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
04/26/2013 10:14 AMPosted by Aleaina
I'm certainly better than the priest who sits at full mana all the way through the fight, yet that priest is last on the healing meters,

You know that doesn't mean you're better, right? It could mean they're afk or doing the absolute minimum because they don't really want to be there.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I'm certainly better than the priest who sits at full mana all the way through the fight, yet that priest is last on the healing meters,

You know that doesn't mean you're better, right? It could mean they're afk or doing the absolute minimum because they don't really want to be there.

I'd never do that.

Who does that?

I mean.. *scoff*

Edit: I've been known to do this in LFR's where there are plenty of strong healers. Not when I'm actually needed. I'm at full attention in ToT.
Edited by Naérdriel on 4/26/2013 11:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

but that *is* also bad.

Don't show up if you're not going to play. People with bad attitudes are bad.

... I mean, I absolutely see what you're saying, Fleurs. "Just because someone isn't performing adequately in this LFR run doesn't mean they're not awesome when they raid with their guild"

Other than that keep trying. Research your class and what kind of gear/stats best suit you. Look up how you should reforge and gem, and what talents and glyphs are best for raiding on your class.

This is *crucial*.

And the thing is, you can never stop researching. Your class can and *will* change from expansion to expansion. Your class can and *will* change from patch to *patch*. Your class can even be tweaked within a patch! And even if your class doesn't change at all in a given content patch, you may be required to do something completely outside of what's normally optimal play for your class, for a certain fight.

If you stop researching, you lose touch with the little details. If you stop researching, you stop growing.
Edited by Ellarix on 4/26/2013 11:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
but that *is* also bad.

... I mean, I absolutely see what you're saying, Fleurs. "Just because someone isn't performing adequately in this LFR run doesn't mean they're not awesome when they raid with their guild"

LFR.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
My two cents...

- It may seem rudimentary for someone who's played a while like you, but do read the Resto Druid guide on icy-veins. You probably don't need to read the overview, but the specifics of things like haste breakpoints, and how to reforge, what gems/enchants are best, etc are really helpful. In looking at your gems/enchants though, it looks like you're maybe already on top of this. Their gear guide is good, too...

- Run HoF and Terrace LFR to replace some of the lower lvl items you're rocking right now (gloves, belt, legs, trinks, wrists). Gear is a HUGE determining factor in your healing stats. There's no denying that. And improving your gear (once you get to a certain talent level) is essentially the only way to truly progress in this game (maybe apart from learning/knowing fight mechanics). If you have the Valor, if I'm not mistaken, you can buy some of the 522 items from the Kirin Tor and Shadow Pan Assault quartermasters at Neutral and Friendly (ie, RIGHT NOW!). That'd give you a huge boost and might even get you into the 480 range so you can run ToT lfr.

- I agree with whoever said a lot of it is reacting quickly and I DOUBLY agree with the fact that meters don't tell the whole story. Often times if you look at healing, then scroll over to over-healing, the people at the top are the same. <---although with our lifebloom and the very nature of some of our HoTs, we Resto Druids are going to overheal a bunch, too. But more to the point, it's often about who you save, when you save them, how efficient you are with your mana, whether you automatically use your Rebirth on the first person to die (who may be lackluster or clueless) or save it for a more key player, etc. As a resto druid, you have a lot of flexibility and choices, so there are also things like quickly assessing whether wild growth is right vs. dropping a couple quick rejuvs (depending on how many are taking dmg and how much), assessing when to pop Tree form and start spreading Lifeblooms around for those free Regrowth casts, etc.

A lot of these finer details can really have an impact on not only how MUCH healing you do, but how EFFICIENT and PRACTICAL those heals are. To use a sports analogy, a guy can have a terrible day at the plate, striking out his first 4 at-bats, but when he delivers a clutch hit in his 5th at-bat and wins the game, you'd have to say that overall he was key to the team's success. I'm not suggesting you try to suck for as long as possible during a raid. I'm suggesting that you can "deliver" for your team in other ways apart from cranking out the highest numbers.

Good luck and let me know if I can help somehow. This is my only toon so I know Resto druid fairly well (although I'm sure not as well as some of the others on this thread).

(that was more of a nickel than two cents, wasn't it?)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
but that *is* also bad.

LFR.

The point remains, if you aren't going to at least half-!@# it (which is often enough for LFR) you shouldn't be there. I'm not saying come fully loaded with pots/flasks, keep your Iwin macros on cooldown, and all that but at least perform your role at the easiest level. Not very many people "want" to be in the average LFR and it gets pretty frustrating to carry 2-3 "healers" that aren't along with all the terribad dps/tanks that utterly fail at the easiest fight mechanics.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
This may not be possible (I'm not sure if you're able to get into a pug [non-LFR] raid this week), but it would be fantastic to see logs.

• If you're not sure what logs are, I'm referring to World of Logs. Head to their website, create an account, and download the client; once in game, simply type /combatlog. Any combat you're in will be recorded. When you've finished, you can upload the report using the WoL client.
  •  

Linking those logs will allow us to provide better feedback. While meters can be used for a quick glance at contribution, dispels, deaths, etc, you're not going to be getting the whole story. That's where WoL and your explanations come in. We can analyze what spells you're using, who you're using them on, when you're using them, and provide feedback based on that.

OK, I did everything you said. I practiced this in Heroic Stormstout Brewery, so here's the link.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/i06xdfz94sm9upby/

According to Recount:
    Top 3 Heals (Overall)
    1. Rejuvenation
    2. Lifebloom
    3. Swiftemend

All heals used:
    1. Rejuvenation 34.4%
    2. Lifebloom 23.1%
    3. Swiftmend 21%
    4. Wild Growth 12.4%
    5. Cenarion Ward 3.3%
    6. Nourish 3.2%
    7. Healing Touch 2.6%

It was quite a smooth run. Everybody did their part. Almost lost the DPS DK due to standing in stuff.

My two cents...

- It may seem rudimentary for someone who's played a while like you, but do read the Resto Druid guide on icy-veins. You probably don't need to read the overview, but the specifics of things like haste breakpoints, and how to reforge, what gems/enchants are best, etc are really helpful. In looking at your gems/enchants though, it looks like you're maybe already on top of this. Their gear guide is good, too...

- Run HoF and Terrace LFR to replace some of the lower lvl items you're rocking right now (gloves, belt, legs, trinks, wrists). Gear is a HUGE determining factor in your healing stats. There's no denying that. And improving your gear (once you get to a certain talent level) is essentially the only way to truly progress in this game (maybe apart from learning/knowing fight mechanics). If you have the Valor, if I'm not mistaken, you can buy some of the 522 items from the Kirin Tor and Shadow Pan Assault quartermasters at Neutral and Friendly (ie, RIGHT NOW!). That'd give you a huge boost and might even get you into the 480 range so you can run ToT lfr.

- I agree with whoever said a lot of it is reacting quickly and I DOUBLY agree with the fact that meters don't tell the whole story. Often times if you look at healing, then scroll over to over-healing, the people at the top are the same. <---although with our lifebloom and the very nature of some of our HoTs, we Resto Druids are going to overheal a bunch, too. But more to the point, it's often about who you save, when you save them, how efficient you are with your mana, whether you automatically use your Rebirth on the first person to die (who may be lackluster or clueless) or save it for a more key player, etc. As a resto druid, you have a lot of flexibility and choices, so there are also things like quickly assessing whether wild growth is right vs. dropping a couple quick rejuvs (depending on how many are taking dmg and how much), assessing when to pop Tree form and start spreading Lifeblooms around for those free Regrowth casts, etc.

A lot of these finer details can really have an impact on not only how MUCH healing you do, but how EFFICIENT and PRACTICAL those heals are. To use a sports analogy, a guy can have a terrible day at the plate, striking out his first 4 at-bats, but when he delivers a clutch hit in his 5th at-bat and wins the game, you'd have to say that overall he was key to the team's success. I'm not suggesting you try to suck for as long as possible during a raid. I'm suggesting that you can "deliver" for your team in other ways apart from cranking out the highest numbers.

Good luck and let me know if I can help somehow. This is my only toon so I know Resto druid fairly well (although I'm sure not as well as some of the others on this thread).

(that was more of a nickel than two cents, wasn't it?)

I actually found your post to be the most helpful. I can learn from you :)
    Edited by Aaeiyn on 4/26/2013 12:39 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Druid
    I actually found your post to be the most helpful. I can learn from you :)

Glad to know I could help. Also, in looking at your numbers, I think you have a really good distribution there. A couple small things and a couple big things...

SMALL:

- Good use of Rejuv. In a dung, it'll probably be your top heal.
    - Good (lack of) use of Nourish...it's really only for when there's like NOTHING going on and you already have 3 stacks of Lifebloom on your target. In raids I never use it.
    - Wild Growth - Is a great heal and it's usually towards the top of my distribution in raids, although it does have less application in dungeons because you're normally talking about only 2-3 players damaged at a time. But keep in mind that it has my vote as an awesome heal. If it's available to me and I'm in a dung, even if I know it'll overheal, sometimes I pop it instead of dropping 2 rejuvs. It's okay on mana, too, which is a bonus. It's a very stabilizing spell so pop it anytime you see 3 or more players taking dmg. It'll overheal some but don't worry about that.
    - You know to (when possible) get your tank going with the 3 LB's PRIOR to pulling, right? That way you don't have to spend the first 3-4 seconds getting it up. Just a little tip that's a good quality of life habit to get into.

BIG:

- I see you have just a TOUCH of Healing Touch, but NO Regrowth. For me (and I think if you ask around you'll hear the same thing), Regrowth is a superior large direct cast to Healing Touch, primarily because the mana difference is negligible but the cast time of HT is about a second more. This makes using it impractical (unless you pair it with Nature's Swiftness - if you even have that talent and that's only every couple of minutes). Also, if you use Glyph of Regrowth, you can guarantee that it'll crit every time, making it a very adequate large heal when people are at or below roughly 50%. Just beware - it is mana expensive so don't spam it. I've completely replaced HT with Regrowth in the last 6 months or so.

- TRANQUILITY! - It's not listed so I assume you didn't use it? I guess it's possible that the opportunity never presented itself, but that seems unlikely (especially that final fight in the brewery). It's our biggest healing cd and heals everyone in a dungeon practically to full health if you let the whole cast run without moving. Using Tranq situationally is a MUST MUST MUST. It will never account for a huge % of your heals (because at most you're only going to use it twice in a fight...usually only once), but getting back to our talk about timing and coming through with the big hit for your team, Tranquility has the potential to be that raid-saving (or dung-saving) cast because of its situational power.

*EDIT - When you can, use Symbiosis with a Shaman so you get Spiritwalker's Grace, which will allow you to move around while casting Tranquility.
    Edited by Biggusdeckus on 4/26/2013 1:44 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    100 Night Elf Druid
    I did use symbiosis on the Shaman, but the group was good about staying out of bad stuff, I didn't really find it necessary to use Spiritwalker's Grace nor Tranquility. I know Tranq is my most powerful, but there wasn't a time where I needed to use it because everybody was quick about getting out of bad, and it was a really fast run. I use Tranq when necessary, you talk about timing, and I didn't feel Tranq was needed in this particular run.

I'll definitely work on pre-stacking the blooms and replacing HT with Regrowth. Thank you for the tip.
    Edited by Aaeiyn on 4/26/2013 2:24 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Druid
    Oh, and SHROOMS! They're not the most practical mechanic, but I recommend setting them up at least before each big fight and looking for the BLOOM notification to know they're ready. Then just use it when you need a pretty big heal. I try to set them up in a small triangle shape to ensure that they get some use. It's actually a pretty big heal now that they changed the way they function (they now store your overhealing done by Rejuv and heals a percentage of that...I forget what %). The healing is spread out depending on who/how many players are within the 8 yard range when you bloom them - so if it's just one person it can be a MONSTROUS heal, actually. I usually just set them up before the fight and kinda forget about them, then I usually remember I can pop them when I'm in an "oh sh-t" situation. Rarely do I re-set them up mid-fight, but if it's a period of low pressure, you conceivably could. If you know where the fight's taking place, it's a big enough heal to warrant the time/effort IMHO.

Of course, it'll always be imperfect in that it's positionally-challenged -- you need to have a pretty good idea of where your fight's going to take place before you drop them. Or, I suppose you could always call your group over to the shroom location if they're in need of a big heal? Never tried that but no reason it couldn't work in an emergency.

I really wish Blizz would make them moveable. So that at the very least if you wanted to reposition them, they wouldn't lose their stored healing. I think everyone's biggest gripe is the positional limitations and this idea would remove that. But, ya know. I don't have much hope for that happening.

And I hear ya on Tranq. If your group is strong/smart enough in a dung, you often don't need it. Just wanted to make sure you weren't missing out on it.
    Reply Quote
    100 Night Elf Druid
    04/26/2013 02:47 PMPosted by Biggusdeckus
    Oh, and SHROOMS!

I always forget about shrooms because it's a new mechanic to Druid Healing, nor do I find them effective. Especially since I'm trying to be mana efficient, my heals are lined up by how much mana they cost which is probably why I chose HT over Regrowth. Shrooms don't take up that much mana, though so there really is no excuse in not to use them. I think I use them ever rarely because I'm used to the other heals, but if nobody is taking that much damage, I could just put them into play while check up on my bloom stacks.
    Reply Quote
    100 Undead Priest
    Good healing is simply about good decision making.

Figure out what the problems are, figure out the best way to approach these problems, then execute your plan. Healing is very intertwined with the whole raid and teamwork. Sometimes good healing is simply about organizing and mapping out raid CDs, other teams good healing is clutch twitch-reaction play, and other times good healing is being able to step back and reevaluate one's spell priority.

Whatever is stopping you from killing the boss, fix it. Whether or not you fix it is the trademark of a good healer.
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Druid
    To me healing is about:

* Choosing the right healing spell
    * Choosing the right time to cast the spell
    * Choosing the right target to cast the spell

Using high HPS spell for the sake of the meter when someone needs a spot healing (= single target direct heal with lower HPS) is something that a good healer will never do imho.

Good healers research a lot. For a resto druid I recommend reading the following blogs:
    * http://www.cannotbetamed.com/
    * http://wtsheals.com/
    * http://healiocentric.wordpress.com/
    * http://r4healingtouch.wordpress.com/

[Lissanna and Beruthiel's blogs used to be in the list but I believe Liss has gone mage and Beru has retired from raiding, so did not include those.]
    Reply Quote
    90 Troll Priest
    You can do things to "improve" yourself like study boss fight vids, read different forums and websites about your class and boss mechanics, work on muscle memory/reaction times, really get familiar with your add-ons, double and triple check your "spell priority" mental lists (you know, those lists in your head where you say "if THAT happened, i would use this, this, or maybe this), touch up gems and reforging, and of course figure out why X person died (was there anything you could do? if so, what? if not, why?).

All good stuff. But, I never wonder if I am a good healer. That question is answered by everyone else. Not some LFR twit or pug no name, but the usual faces in my running circle. The people that ask me to heal, not because there are no other healers, but because they TRUST my healing and know I get the job done. When someone is truly good at something, they never have to point it out... others will point it out for them. :)
    Edited by Vear on 4/28/2013 8:35 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    98 Troll Shaman
    What defines good healing?

Well, if you can heal a sub-par group while drunk (both IRL -and- in-game), I would call that gud healing. :)

But really, as long as you do not make it your job to be the only healer (ie. snipe every single bit of damage ever, especially with a Druid co-healer), good enough for normals.
    Edited by Zakalakadaka on 4/29/2013 7:57 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Paladin
    Good healer: Correct spell selection.
    Great healer: Correct on-the-fly cooldown usage.
    Perfect healer: Can do above perfectly and direct people at the same time.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]