What Defines Good Healing?

100 Blood Elf Priest
First I check 2 thing:
- Did someone in the party die?
If not, then we healers did our job.

If some1 died but we still got the boss, then I check if he died 'cause he didn't move from 'bad stuff in the ground' or because a problem with our job: he wasn't near a healer, we went oom, we hated him and wanted him to die, etc. I normally try to fix the problem by either moving or being careful with overhealing. This is easy if you can coordinate with the other(s) healer.

- Did we wipe?
If yes, then, and only then, I actually check everysingle re-counter I have. Did I overheal much? did I went oom or it was simply that the DPS sucked for the fight and we hit enrage? Since every fight is different there is no single method to know for sure what is always the problem. Maybe in some fight you didn't overheal and didn't went oom, but the dmg was so heavy that u couldn't control the spikes, or maybe you moved wrong and got 2-hitted to the ground.

There have been fights in which I'm called on for topping overhealing (like...getting 3 times the second place or something xD). I then point out that nevertheless I never went OOM, that I still got a close second place on actual healing and that 20% of the overhealing comes from echo of light.

As a great wise man once said: If it isn't broken, don't fix it. If you are progressing and nobody is dying, then you are fine.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
When someone is truly good at something, they never have to point it out... others will point it out for them. :)

This sentence caught my attention, and I agree with you. There have been many people begging me to heal stuff for them because they know I have some brains to understand certain mechanics. I also have a friend that would always ask me to help co-heal with him, and he was the best geared Ally Druid on our server, so I guess this makes me feel a little bit more confident about myself.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
* Choosing the right healing spell
* Choosing the right time to cast the spell
* Choosing the right target to cast the spell

I would remove the first part in a Resto Druid 5.X, you really don't have any spell to choose while healing. You do this before hand with pen and paper. What you have control is when and who to heal, but the amount of RG, SM, WG, RJ, Tranq are set before you even login.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Good healing never equal to top HPS as healers have many ways to top the meter while still don do the job well.

Super ultra good healing = All raiders stand on fire many times, all of them still alive, wrong mechanic, and kill the boss successfully.

Ultra good healing = some raiders stand on fire many times, all of them still alive, right mechanic, and kill the boss successfully.

Good healing = even there r some accidents happen on raid, may be some of the raiders die, right mechanic, but still kill the boss successfully.

Good healer can heal raider who accidentally stand on fire, but not who purposely stand on fire like some the raiders in LFRs.

To top HPS, a healer can just spam AOE heal and heal tanks only.
Edited by Xiongxiong on 4/30/2013 2:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
A lot of you guys seem to think like me, maybe I'm just being too hard on myself.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
04/29/2013 07:06 PMPosted by Aaeiyn
When someone is truly good at something, they never have to point it out... others will point it out for them. :)

This sentence caught my attention, and I agree with you. There have been many people begging me to heal stuff for them because they know I have some brains to understand certain mechanics. I also have a friend that would always ask me to help co-heal with him, and he was the best geared Ally Druid on our server, so I guess this makes me feel a little bit more confident about myself.

Every time I dust off that old phrase, it always seems to catch someone's ear. By your examples, you understood it perfectly. That is the difference that raises certain folks above the common stock. Not some meter, log, or self-proclaimed greatness... but the people that know you, know your abilities, and want you there.

Don't let it go to your head though. Keep learning, keep trying, keep asking questions, learn from your mistakes. You only truly become a bad healer when you stop trying to better yourself.
Edited by Vear on 4/30/2013 9:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
When you start healing, you will have wipes. You will miss time heals. You will make all kinds of mistakes. But then you slowly get better at positioning. You get better timing. You hit the right spell. You use the right cooldown at the right time. You save the group more.

Just get out there and learn. Don't be afraid to fail or wipe. Just learn from it. Study the guides and gear up as best you can. Then once you have prepared as best you can, then go out there and heal.
Reply Quote
91 Human Warrior
Healing Meters matter to an extent, it is a tool

Low HPS Scenario = Bad Healing need improvement, Meters indicate issue
-> Many Players not fully healed for most of the encounter
-> Ones HPS is low
-> One needs to improve

Low HPS Scenario = Meters alone are useless
-> Players at full health for most of the encounter
-> Ones HPS is low
-> With nothing to heal, especially as re-active healers ( Druid / Shaman / Monk ), one can't learn much from this encounter, except that there were more healers than needed.

As others have posted, World of Logs provides much more detailed information.

World of Logs is a Web Site, not part of Wow
One records wow combat logs and uploads them to this website, so they can go through them and learn how to improve.
World of Logs is not used during the encounter to see how good ones numbers are, instead it is carefully gone over afterwards to learn how one can improve.
It is a fairly involved process to learn how to use World of Logs, but many players in Wow are very adept at reading them, and if you provide them these logs, they can help you improve your game.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
This is sort of the thing I hated when I tanked. You'd down the boss with no deaths maybe, but still how do you judge how well you actually played your class? I guess there are more things to look at as a healer, but can still seem pretty vague.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
pretty vague.

Precisely why I created this thread, but I already know I'm not a team healer, not that I'm not a team player, it's just I don't understand the healing mechanics when it comes to raiding.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
Im a horrible healer. I usually always win meters but I do so by neglecting the tanks >.>

They hate me :(
Reply Quote
22 Tauren Shaman
This is mostly based on previous raids since I haven't healed outside of LFR this expansion, but what I use to think what defines a great healer is - perception.

Perception in the way, that you know the encounter like the back of your hand and that you can predict the damage someone is going to take.

For example, you know that person is about to be hit and you're already in the mindset that you need to heal that person. It's kind of an innate instinct after having healed since vanilla. So I can't truly say whether or not it can be a sign of a good healer and it's a hard feeling to describe, but to have it measured on paper would be impossible I think.

Numbers matter in some sense, but not by who is topping meters or not. As a Druid, something like the uptime of your lifebloom or the target of who your Swiftmend should hit to maximize efflorescence.

Also being able to prioritize and having fast reactions could also be something that a good healer has. Like being able to save that tank or dps before they die and being able to prioritize who you should save if there are more than one. Save the Warlock because he'll be able to combat res the other.

Obviously having a good raid team that can execute the fight makes it kind of moot.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I think for the most part meters don't matter (although I won't complain when I'm on top). There are exceptions though, if the top healer is above the others by a good margin, 10% let's say) and his overhealing is little to none and he's conserving mana and isn't way over-geared, then yes, I believe that healer should get props for being beast. but if everyone is within 5% of eachother/mana efficient there is no way to really tell. It's all self satisfaction, no one is going to know (especially in LFR) that you're the one that landed that 150k heal with added shield on a nearly dead tank just in the nick of time except you. It's mostly just personal victories and acknowledging that you are part of a team effort.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
05/05/2013 03:01 PMPosted by Ipwnwitfeet
This is sort of the thing I hated when I tanked. You'd down the boss with no deaths maybe, but still how do you judge how well you actually played your class?

It's actually the same for DPS too though. You can look at damage meters, but that doesn't tell you whether you were on the right target or staying out of fire or handling other mechanics properly (picking up mutations on Primordius, kiting crimson wakes away from the raid, catching bouncing bolts, etc.). Or whether you used your burst damage effectively at the times it's critical to the raid (Elegon).

Meters are just too simplistic to accurately capture the performance of any player of any role, even DPS.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
05/27/2013 12:24 AMPosted by Lavarinth
Perception in the way, that you know the encounter like the back of your hand and that you can predict the damage someone is going to take.

This more than anything makes a good PvE healer. And what can make progression very frustrating.

Knowing when the damage is going to occur is the key to raid healing. It is also the key to healing 5 mans when you do not out gear the dungeon.

WG is off CD so do I use it on CD or wait for the next AoE burst from the boss?

You need to know when that will be and at what HP levels the raid needs to be for that incoming burst. You also need to know what the other members of your heal team are doing.

I heal with a disc priest partner....I need to know what he is doing. The raid may be at 60% HP, but he may be using his Spirit Shell CD. That gives me time to bring the raid up under the SS.

Raid healing is a team effort, and that includes CDs from dps and tanks. Having your ret pally use Devo Aura at the right time can make or break a boss encounter.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
3; Teamwork. Good healers work together. The Holy Paladin my team had a while back went <50% mana on Horridon before the 3rd door and I was sitting @100% because there was nothing to heal. I literally opened up on vent and tore him a new one; Dude, you have other healers, I understand you want to look good for meters because you have insecurities, but it's a team game. If you could solo heal this, I wouldn't be here. Therefore, Effing work with your co-healer because I don't like sitting here with my thumb up my !@#$, I'm not going to blow mana just to compete on the meters when it's not needed, making us both OOM when it's actually needed. So tone it down and work together.

One day I'll be brave enough to say this to my Co-healer. That's pretty much how Horridon went for us every week until the 5.3 pally nerf.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
3; Teamwork. Good healers work together. The Holy Paladin my team had a while back went <50% mana on Horridon before the 3rd door and I was sitting @100% because there was nothing to heal. I literally opened up on vent and tore him a new one; Dude, you have other healers, I understand you want to look good for meters because you have insecurities, but it's a team game. If you could solo heal this, I wouldn't be here. Therefore, Effing work with your co-healer because I don't like sitting here with my thumb up my !@#$, I'm not going to blow mana just to compete on the meters when it's not needed, making us both OOM when it's actually needed. So tone it down and work together.

One day I'll be brave enough to say this to my Co-healer. That's pretty much how Horridon went for us every week until the 5.3 pally nerf.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/m7ed8i5uq07gj36a/sum/healingDone/?s=1515&e=1866

Sometimes I wish all fights happened like this.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
88905801529:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/m7ed8i5uq07gj36a/sum/healingDone/?s=1515&e=1866

Sometimes I wish all fights happened like this.

That's beautiful. We would usually even out near the end of fights or I'd do enough during burst damage to justify my raid spot but our heals were never that close (past tense because things seem to have changed since the patch). Fights we three heal made me want to wander off and find something more fun to do most of the time. But I'd just stand there dpsing and wait for either the disc priest or holy pally to oom/die so I could heal something. Resto druid blues.
Edited by Emmia on 5/28/2013 12:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
It's actually the same for DPS too though. You can look at damage meters, but that doesn't tell you whether you were on the right target or staying out of fire or handling other mechanics properly (picking up mutations on Primordius, kiting crimson wakes away from the raid, catching bouncing bolts, etc.). Or whether you used your burst damage effectively at the times it's critical to the raid (Elegon).

Meters are just too simplistic to accurately capture the performance of any player of any role, even DPS.

I really like this post, and this post is precisely why I made this thread, to begin with. I just think meters are way too looked at, and everything you just said is how I feel.

Sorry for the necro.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]