Tank Lounge #69: Cunning Linguistic Title

100 Dwarf Death Knight
04/25/2013 10:06 AMPosted by Guidance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dresden_files
Love that show. I should watch it again. Shame there's so little of it.

Read the books. READ THE BOOOOOOOKS. RREEEEEEEEEAAAAAD THE BOOOOOOOOOOKS.
85 Night Elf Warrior
Fantasy worlds are awful for this. I've always been under the impression that magic must make civilization really lazy. I guess magic combined with assault rifles doesn't really make for interesting warfare or something.

I'd be lying if I said that wasn't an awesome concept for setting. High-fantasy and magic in a space age...and actually it makes more sense than most forms of Sci-Fi. They at least *have* something tangible to explain things that aren't physically possible. It's called...magic. :P

FTL? Worm-holes? **** it all. Magic bishes!
95 Pandaren Monk
Can you throw a fireball in the vacuum of space? I know I have thrown them underwater in WoW, but have never been in a vacuum before.
85 Night Elf Warrior
Can you throw a fireball in the vacuum of space? I know I have thrown them underwater in WoW, but have never been in a vacuum before.

Weapons powered by teams of mages channeling and chanting. Shields powered by priest-batteries...There is something to this idea that's getting both crazier and more awesome by the second.
Edited by Feandel on 4/25/2013 11:13 AM PDT
14 Night Elf Druid
Well, if one assumes the fire is sustained by magic and doesn't need fuel because magic, it can exist in a vacuum.

And yeah, motion can happen in a vacuum. A lot easier than it can in a terrestrial environment since there's no air pushing back against the movement/in the way.
Edited by Kangarooster on 4/25/2013 11:13 AM PDT
85 Night Elf Warrior
Well, if one assumes the fire is sustained by magic and doesn't need fuel because magic, it can exist in a vacuum.

And yeah, motion can happen in a vacuum.

Well we could assume that, but that'd be a little sillier. Let's just assume that Fireball is a single high-contentration of volatile energy following a controlled projectile path. Without anything to oxidize, your fireball is a lethal dose of highly-energetic radiation. What we lay-folk call a solar flare.

Physics meeting magic. Most of it could be explained by violating one of two principles. Conservation of Energy or Conservation of momentum.
14 Night Elf Druid
That just brings up the question of whatever the hell Arcane damage is supposed to be then, though.
95 Pandaren Monk
That just brings up the question of whatever the hell Arcane damage is supposed to be then, though.

A 5th force? Electromagnetic, Gravitational, Strong and weak nuclear and **Magic**.

EDIT: The *magic* is, of course, said with a hip twist, spreading of the arms and wiggling of the fingers.
Edited by Chuinshao on 4/25/2013 11:24 AM PDT
85 Night Elf Warrior

Largely the same. "Elements" are highly subjective anyways. We could simply assume that at some point along the way, it was realized that they were all one and the same, expressed in different ways. Microwaves, x-rays, gamma-rays, etc etc.

-edit-

Or perhaps, while most forms of magic involve "energy" in one form or another, Arcane is actually a wholly different beast: momentum. Arcane explosion? Application of momentum to air molecules creating a literal blast wave. Arcane Missiles? Direct momentum transference.

That force propelling your spaceship? Arcane...mages.
Edited by Feandel on 4/25/2013 11:25 AM PDT
90 Pandaren Warrior

I believe Ryu and Akuma fighting Asura on the moon have already debunked this question.
100 Pandaren Monk
Feandel, I think this is an awesome idea and needs to be brought to its logical conclusion in a fully published book.
95 Pandaren Monk
I believe that story was told in TBC when the Draenei crashed their space ship into Azeroth :P
100 Human Warrior
Fantasy worlds are awful for this. I've always been under the impression that magic must make civilization really lazy. I guess magic combined with assault rifles doesn't really make for interesting warfare or something.

Um, Warhammer 40k.

Assault Rifles that shoot rockets AND magic. The power of faith literally strengthens you against your enemies (if you believe in the Emperor of Mankind). Super soldiers are made with some weird-assed combination of genetic therapy and basically prayer. They spend decades fighting against the literal forces of Chaos.

BAM.
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Pssssh...I'll see your 2000 and raise you TWO 4k+ word chapters.

/bow

04/25/2013 11:22 AMPosted by Chuinshao

A 5th force? Electromagnetic, Gravitational, Strong and weak nuclear and **Magic**.

EDIT: The *magic* is, of course, said with a hip twist, spreading of the arms and wiggling of the fingers.

Bwaaahahahahahahaha.
100 Draenei Paladin
04/25/2013 11:23 AMPosted by Feandel

No wonder we crashed into a planet then .. silly Mages.
04/25/2013 11:32 AMPosted by Chuinshao
I believe that story was told in TBC when the Draenei crashed their space ship into Azeroth :P

I should also read the whole page before replying.
Edited by Muletia on 4/25/2013 2:20 PM PDT
85 Night Elf Warrior
04/25/2013 02:01 PMPosted by Krinu
Pssssh...I'll see your 2000 and raise you TWO 4k+ word chapters.

/bow

I wish I could say it was impressive, but truth be told, I'm still pretty meh about it. I've had someone read my stuff and they say it's good but ... you know how it is being objective with your own work.

04/25/2013 02:19 PMPosted by Muletia

No wonder we crashed into a planet then .. silly Mages.

Never let arcane mages power anything. Especially not draenei...and that goes ten-fold if they're happen to be drunk too...
100 Night Elf Death Knight

Masters of time and space right?

They increase the cancer cell reproduction rate inside the target and cause them to die quicker.
100 Pandaren Warrior
Trying Ji Kun with 2 healers isnt fun
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Heroic or normal?
100 Blood Elf Priest
04/25/2013 05:15 PMPosted by Cynbria

Masters of time and space right?

They increase the cancer cell reproduction rate inside the target and cause them to die quicker.

http://xkcd.com/965/
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]