Nervous about Raid tanking...

93 Draenei Paladin
Not in all ways. My guild is really forgiving and knows I've been putting in a lot of effort to learn the fights. I have hand drawn maps and a notes for all boos fights studied, I pin them up around my monitor. I also strive to improve my gear (though I refuse to tank LFR), so spend the hours grinding for valor and faction. As well, I work on my rotations and try to use my cooldowns at appropriate times. I think the wipes thus far have just been us learning to work as a team, partially, and get the mechanics down.

I think what really makes me nervous, is that I'd like to try to tank for some 10m PUGs in MSV, but would hate to go in and find my skills or knowledge lacking, and get a bad rep as a raid tank. I don't pretend to know everything, but am willing to learn and willing to keep trying.

So.. in that regard.. looking at gear and such... Any possible tips that might help? Anything I can do to make myself more "ready" for raid tanking?

Quick note: As far as the pants go, I know they are crap.. getting the valor pants from K'laxxi this week I hope...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Honestly the best thing to be said is just tank stuff. Seriously. Tank LFR (even though it sucks out little pieces of your soul). Tank 5 mans. Jump into a pug or two and let them know you are new. If they boot you, who cares. There will be other pugs.

The best way to become confident as a tank is to get out there and smash your face against content. I go into every raid confident that I am ready for it because I have prepared for the content, I have studied my class thoroughly, and I know I am good at what I do.

There will always be ways you can improve. Your gear can always get better. The most important part of tanking (in my opinion at least) is the prep you put in as a player. The better feel you have for how your cooldowns work and how your damage taken tends to flow the better experience you will have in raids.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Trust me, OP, by doing what you have done, you are better than 90% of the other players out there.
Reply Quote
93 Draenei Paladin
Ever get flustered on calling out taunt swaps against Stone Guardians? Any "good" way to keep track of that?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Ever get flustered on calling out taunt swaps against Stone Guardians? Any "good" way to keep track of that?

Just part of it. If both of you are good, you can watch and wait for the detonation, and if the single dog tank (10 man, all my experience) gets the petrify, you switch without even talking.

In 25 man, I assume there is more to it as there are 4 dogs, but I don't know about that.

LFR, there is no swapping. You just clump all three together, never move, aoe and collect loot.
Reply Quote
93 Draenei Paladin
So main tank just takes the single and leave it to off-tank to figure out which to taunt? I usually put markers on the guardians and we call out red, green, blue, purple depending...

Got them down to 30% at best so far. Usually the other tank or I are the last person standing, but even managing to live another minute or so, we can't put out that kind of damage. lol
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
In 10man the dog swapping is simple; don't overthink it and you'll get the hang of it. If the lone dog starts petrifying, you'll just grab whichever other dog has the least energy if you plan to keep two, or whichever other dog has the most energy if you're swapping dogs one-for-one.

25man is an exponential step up in its awareness/judgement requirements, and requires three tanks and quite a bit of communication, especially during the learning curve. In this case I believe by now you can find some pretty good resources out there explaining a good strategy for the swaps and positioning.

/edit: Was posting this during your last reply. Sounds like you're doing 10man!
Edited by Blackfeather on 4/24/2013 10:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
93 Draenei Paladin
I went over icy-veins' guides and wrote down notes and mapped out swap routines. I think I'm still just slow at it. We've gotten better thus far. Last run only one bad Overload occurred. The other tactic we've worked at a few times in only doing single taunts, but a lot of melee DPS in the group makes it harder for them. Especially if a lot of cobalt shards have dropped.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Are you doing 10 man or 25 man?
Reply Quote
93 Draenei Paladin
Just 10 man right now. Not enough for 25 man.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
As blackfeathe said, do not overthink the 10 man.

There are three dogs A, B and C.

One tank on the pull takes A and B and the other takes C.

If A or B gets petrify, wait till they are at about 40 energy, and swap C for the one that is not petrified. Now A and C are on one tank, B is on the other.

The one will petrfy wil now detonate and do little raid damage. Now, the thing is, the dog that just had petrification cannot get it again. IT cannot get petrify twice in a row.

So, if the other dog that the tank with A and C gets petrification, do nothing. just keep on keeping on.

If B (the one by itself) gets petrify, swap out the one that did not detonate (has the highest energy) and the one with petrification.

And that is the fight. Avoid crap on the ground, and collect your loot :)

GL.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Oh, and about your overall question in the OP (the Stone Dogs swap thing is somewhat of a tangent)

Honestly the best thing to be said is just tank stuff. Seriously. Tank LFR (even though it sucks out little pieces of your soul). Tank 5 mans. Jump into a pug or two and let them know you are new. If they boot you, who cares. There will be other pugs.

This, and the rest of Spruce's post, is exactly right. Tank as much as you can.
Reply Quote
93 Draenei Paladin
Oh, and about your overall question in the OP (the Stone Dogs swap thing is somewhat of a tangent)

This, and the rest of Spruce's post, is exactly right. Tank as much as you can.

Thanks :) I will definitely keep it up. I enjoy being the role of "protector", and Prot Pally really does it for me. Being able to hold the line and, occasionally, pull someone out of a mess, is very enjoyable.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
A good way to "speed up" the taunt trading on Stone Guards is to make macros.

/target Cobalt
/cast Reckoning

Make 1 of those for every dog and put the 3 that are up on any given week on your action bars.
Reply Quote
93 Draenei Paladin
A good way to "speed up" the taunt trading on Stone Guards is to make macros.

/target Cobalt
/cast Reckoning

Make 1 of those for every dog and put the 3 that are up on any given week on your action bars.

That is a really good idea. I will be implementing that for next raid. Thank you!
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
Do LFR, learn the mechanics. Make sure you read the strats so your not completely clueless. Everyone has to learn some how better to learn in LFR where it is more forgiving.

If your are lucky you may get a guy like me on my alt hunter who has tanked them before and can help explain what to watch out for. Contrary to most peoples belief asking before the fight is not the worst thing if you get a reasonalbe person in the raid.

Just block out the na sayers, cause in the end why should you care anyway. Its just some random person who is trying to get under your skin.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Chuinshao summed up the dogs fight very well and I use macros similar to what Typan uses. There's also an addon at Curse called StoneGuardTauntCues that tells you which dog to pull when (and will negate the rest of my post).

One thing I've found helps me for that first fight that's rather unconventional: after the first detonation, treat it like a new hand in blackjack every time a dog detonates. I learned this before discovering that add-on, and still like my way better.

In blackjack, your choices when dealt a hand are to Hit or Stay. In this fight, your choices are to Taunt a dog over (Hit You), Keep what you have (Stay), Co-Tank Taunts off you (Hit Co-Tank).

After every detonation and a new dog starts petrifying, decide if you want to Hit You, Hit Co-Tank or Stay. My rules are:

• If I have two dogs and one is petrifying: Stay
  • If I have two dogs and the one my Co-Tank has is petrifying: Hit Co-Tank (with the dog that has the lowest energy)
  • If I have one dog and it is petrifying: Hit You (with the dog on the Co-Tank with the lowest energy)
  • If I have one dog and it isn't petrifying: Stay

Make that quick evaluation everytime a new dog starts petrifying, and tell your Co-Tank. That will get you through 90% of the situations. Make sure you follow what Chuin said on the swap the first time at 40 energy, since that is essential for this to work properly.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Speaking of macros and add-ons, here's a couple of things that'll help you in the next 2 fights (being you're going to down that first boss right away)

On Feng, the tank that picks up shroud of reversal should use a macro like this to get lightning fist:
/target [@focus]
/click ExtraActionButton1

This assumes that the Co-Tank that gets hit by lightning fists will be set as focus target. It will take some practice to time right to capture, you will miss it a few times and get lightning lash or epicenter, people will die. Understand that, get used to it, and don't get too frustrated by it. It takes practice.

For Gara'Jal, there's another addon in curse that will announce in /ra who should go into the spirit realm. One person in the raid should install it.
Reply Quote
/target Cobalt
/cast Reckoning

I actually ran into issues with this macro, where the targeting part would fail and I'd end up taunting the dog I already had on me. I think. It's hard to say exactly what happened.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
You will do fine, just hold aggro and stay alive! The more you tank, the better you get!

Btw use holy avenger not Divine purpose. You're haste is not high enough to be using divine purpose.
Edited by Soultaka on 4/24/2013 9:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]