Am I playing Ret wrong?

90 Dwarf Paladin
I recently came back to my paladin. I level 4 other characters and decided I missed my paladin. I have always been a holy pally and this character is my main so to speak. I have never played ret until now, and plan on using it to do dailies etc. when I hit 90.

I was wondering if I am doing something wrong. It seems to me that I take a whole lot of damage just to do decent damage, and I can not take so much damage but then my output is okay. I just want to be able to quest without having to spam eternal flame all the time. The mobs don't hit for a whole lot but it seems like a lot because it takes so long to kill them. Is there anything I can do to change this?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Get better gear - seriously.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
This is quest gear. Nothing I can use has dropped from the instances I have done so there isn't anything better without spending a bunch of money off the AH.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
For one thing, don't use Eternal Flame. It's the weakest of the three talents in that tier for personal survivability. Sacred Shield mitigates a lot of damage as long as you remember to keep it up, and Selfless Healer makes it easy to take advantage of Supplication.

Even if you're doing everything right, that's just how MoP leveling goes for Ret. You're not terribly durable, and you can't burn things down terribly fast. It does get better with more gear, especially at 90, and you can do various things to mitigate it (use Fist of Justice liberally, swap to Seal of Insight for tougher fights, avoid positional attacks, etc). Ultimately you do kind of have to accept that mobs in Pandaria are stronger, relative to players, than they were in previous expansions.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
it gets better at 90, i do all of my questing as ret because its much, much faster than prot/holy, and i never have any issues even with lots of mobs on the isle of thunder. i never even use eternal flame, just make sure you are hitting FoL when it procs and the occasional WoG and seal of insight is HUGE for questing, just make sure you are following your rotation and shouldnt have any issues.

admittedly i leveled from 85-90 with my 397 ilevel gear from last expansion, but even in the first 4 dungeons there are a lot of plate drops from quests alone that would be better than the greens you are wearing
Edited by Dämian on 4/25/2013 12:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Thanks for the help. I will try these things.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I took the holy version of those items. I am going to main spec holy at 90.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Gear is fine for leveling. I would take that glyph of inquisition off, learn to refresh it every 30 seconds. 30% inq is huge for damage.

Whats your rotation like while leveling?

Inq (> DP TV) > 5 HP TV (> ES) > HoW > Exo > CS > Judge > 3-4 HP TV - Single target

Inq (> DP DS) > 5 HP DS (> LH) > HoW > Exo > HotR > Judge > 3-4 HP DS - Multi Target

Taken from the ret pve guide. Basically get inquisition up, and use a priority system
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I took the holy version of those items. I am going to main spec holy at 90.

This is generally not worthwhile, btw; by the time you get to 90, there are MUCH better items available.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If you feel like putting the money into it, reforge. While questing expertise makes a world of difference to proper HP generation, and because the mobs are pretty much going to be facing you, you'll never get too much from quest gear.

Also do avoid taking holy pieces until you're questing in Dread Wastes, or look on the AH for crafted holy gear (including crafted dreadful) for level 90. If it's cheap, don't take quest gear for holy ever.

You can also try divine purpose for questing. A burst talent isn't always that useful unless you're able to intentionally push for a big group to kill every time it's up, but divine purpose can make one mob at a time slightly more fluid.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Why would you use glyph of inquisition...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have always been a holy pally and this character is my main so to speak. I have never played ret until now, and plan on using it to do dailies etc. when I hit 90.

Forget ret just go holy if that is what you do.

If you level ret and go holy at 90 you are going to be , um.. not as good as you could be if you spent the 85 - 90 leveling time working on your holy mechanics.

Spend your 85 - 90 time as holy and even though it is a bit slower, you can use that time to try out all the talents and glyph combinations. gem one way and re-gem another. reforge, ect until you find out what works best for you

If you intend on going holy in the end, leveling as ret is a huge waste IMO.. even tho it is quicker.

and leveling holy is fun,just check this vid out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlBFIO6GtdE

but Im pretty sure I outgear this dungeon, so dont try this in blues and greens :D
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Lower level PVP gear is better than your quest gear...if you PVP.
Edit - I thought you were 90 already. My bad.
Edited by Amuroraye on 4/25/2013 1:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/bittens-spellflash-pally
try this addon
it should help greatly
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
When you get level 90 get at least full malev get gems recommended by (insert BiS gem guide) /enchanted and get your tyrannical weapon you will dominate. This is a bad example cause random bgs don't count. But there were 2 dks, a Mage, a priest healer, on the flag at lighthouse. I blinding lighted the Mage and 2 melee, stunned the priest and bursted priest down.I killed Mage with bubble up, then killed a death knight with popped cool downs and then was finally brought down cause my cool downs were all used up and back up came. Now, these players were bad, but even so their health bars went down easily (may have had bad gear) but if you know what to do then ret's are very viable. I think people underestimate the capabilities of ret's and everything they offer including HoP for healers, prism for damage and heals, and HoS and cleanses and SH FoL procs. I don't know why people think ret's are not viable. I love my ret and do pretty well. In 2s yes I know I am 1414 (low) but I run with random people from trade chat and enjoy meeting new people and capping.

TLDR: ret paladins are fine and people need to stop not letting us into RBG because there is a bad reputation for ret's not being viable. If you play the class right ret's can do exceptionally well. Also, to all those that say Lol ret, i agree it iis one of the easier classes, but that comes with a price of less utility outside of long cool downs. It takes a lot of skill to survive when bubble is on CD and the enemy has a trinket available in arena burst comps.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Make sure to maintain your buffs as well when switching between specs (lord knows how many times i forgot to rebuff Seal of Justice and Blessing of Kings) as i stand there thinking "Why are you taking forever to die?"

I am about to reforge most of my gear to get more haste as i am having multiple seconds of downtime after casting Judgment, Crusader strike, Exorcism, and then Templar's Verdict with maybe an additional Crusader strike before the wait begins.

Though i will say for PvE, i play mainly healers and this pally is the only one i have that i use the DPS spec with, and i have to say, i wish i would have used Ret much earlier to quest.

Me as holy: Denounce, denounce, shock, denounce, maybe a crusader strike, denounce "Are you dead yet?????" Denounce, shock, dead

Me as Ret first time playing it at 85: Hammer, exorcism, strike, verdict, oh! proc verdict, exorcism, dead..."wait, did he even get a hit on me????" :) much happier
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Make sure to maintain your buffs as well when switching between specs (lord knows how many times i forgot to rebuff Seal of Justice and Blessing of Kings) as i stand there thinking "Why are you taking forever to die?"

Just FYI, but if you're questing you're better off using Seal of Truth and Blessing of Might. Both are better for damage output, although Justice is useful if you know in advance need to slow something.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just FYI, but if you're questing you're better off using Seal of Truth and Blessing of Might. Both are better for damage output, although Justice is useful if you know in advance need to slow something.

Ah, forgot about censure, was just looking at the 20% melee to 12% melee increase of damage. Ty for that
Edited by Timèlord on 4/26/2013 10:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Me as holy: Denounce, denounce, shock, denounce, maybe a crusader strike, denounce "Are you dead yet?????" Denounce, shock, dead

I don't get it, you mean your stacked spirit MP5 regeneration didn't speed the kill? Did you flex your mastery of healing absorbs at the target?

If that didn't kill it quicker, then Im as baffled as you are as to why they don't die.
Edited by Tenacius on 4/26/2013 11:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]