So... about WPvP.

90 Human Paladin
Last night we tried to get something going. There was a fairly decent amount of interest gathered, but the end result was a flashback to a few months ago when WPvP took a drastic decline and people just weren't showing any interest in it before- while we gathered our people and assaulted Stonard, we were pretty much stomped. A headcount revealed we were pretty much outnumbered (I don't have the exact figures), and while we tried to recruit more interest on our side the Horde got bored and left- I think BTG was running RBGs at the time?

Anyway, it's something of a trend that seems to repeat itself. A few months ago when WPvP was on it's dying limb, at least from my perspective, the fun was taken out because we simply didn't have the numbers to compete with the Horde. Now I'm not trying to say the Horde is purposefully roflstomping us with numbers, or that they don't have the skill to take us in an even fight-- maybe its a server population issue. I don't know the exact numbers, but I've heard it said and it seems apparent from what usually happens in WPvP that the Horde is more populated. So I think what ends up happening is that there's just more people Horde side willing to jump on the chance to prove their side's superiority in WPvP then there are alliance side... which typically ends up in a one sided fight.

Again, not saying the Horde's doing this on purpose, or that the Alliance isn't guilty of doing this too. I can't deny there's a certain excitement that comes with representing your faction in a fight, who doesn't want to be a part of that fun? I think in the end that there's just not enough people that give a rat's !@# Alliance side. I mean, we did have a pretty good Wpvp day at Lakeshire last week, it was one of the few times in recent history where there was actually a decent number of Alliance interested in WPvP.

I think what I'm getting at here is that I'd like to see more WPvP going on, but how do we set that up so that it doesn't end up being a one-sided roflstomp? I think the problem, at least Alliance side, is that most of us just don't give a $%^-. 9/10 times we end up overwhelmed by numbers anyway, so why bother? Maybe it wouldn't be a problem if people didn't give up so easily. But I guess I'm curious as to what people Horde side think on the matter. Are you guys more interested in a fair fight, or is it just more fun to stomp us repeatedly?

I think I'm just nostalgic for the large-scale battles we used to have on this server, they would seem to last hours, with both sides claiming victory. These days, with the exception of pvp in Lakeshire last week, Wpvp skirmishes don't seem to last very long before they become a terribly one sided ordeal.

Again, not accusing the Horde of anything. It's not your fault that you typically have more people interested in wpvp. I'm just curious as to what you all may think would be a way to bring back WPvP so that we can have fun wailing on eachother like we used to during Cata and Wrath...

-Aed
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
My guild can double your numbers via x-realm invite on occassion if you are interested in our assistance.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I don't think Horde is interested in continually overwhelming its enemies with numbers. It makes WPVP wither when one side is too powerful. No one likes to lose, but when you never win it kills incentive to even show up.

There is some serious talent on the Ally side. Get those people interested.

Emberstone Company, Bloodline, just to mention a couple guild tags who have rolled over me lately...not that it takes a lot, but I can tell the difference between getting killed and getting really killed, and they really kill me.

I do not know much about how things are Ally-side these days, but over here on the Horde, there is still a decent amount of cross-guild interaction. We support each others events, keep in contact, and coordinate battles between us. It is not as huge as it once was, but it is still alive. Community ties are why there are so many still willing to show up for a fight.

Horde-side we can try to have raids (outside of home territories, of course) maybe show restraint and have people step out to keep numbers more balanced. Perhaps split into separate groups and alternate going in to fight. We will have to work together to come up with some sort of way to keep interest in WPVP going on both sides.

Let's hear some more ideas.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Aye, Aedinus, that day you and your companions attacked Stonard was unfortunately a time when our RBGs were about to commence. It's really the only day of the week that we do them and everyone was pumped to get it under way, if not then we would have gladly stayed and carried on with the WPvP.

That being said, and from my perspective, WPvP on the Horde side seems to be very minimal. Really the only guilds I see come out and answer pings anymore are BTG, The respectful Hoof Clan and maybe a couple members from DCoF.

So if a small group of you decide to attack on something and we catch word about it then generally everyone from BTG answers the call and if there's a good number of us on then that's usually when outnumbering seems to happen until one side gains greater numbers and the others are forced to retreat. Basically exactly what happened the day of the Lakeshire attack.

Granted that day was fun for both sides while it lasted, it's just the Alliance gained the numbers advantage because so few of Horde just don't come to aid.

Furthermore, I don't really see a whole lot of action flooding my Defense channel as much as you or any other Alliance see, I'm sure. Because I know a few of us here from BTG are making it a habit to just try and get some action going on by say means of just simply attacking your PvP vendors in Pandaria and sometimes it goes unnoticed, other times we get some people to show up but, again, the numbers game falls into place and we typically still stick around to see how it plays out or we try and make the best of it and get what fun we can salvage from it until our equipment has taken enough harassment that we call it quits.

But what I'm saying is if you want more action then just gather up some friends and go hit up something more often, more than likely myself, as well as BTG, and possibly The Hooves will come and entertain.

-Vath
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
horde itch for wpvp butt......

stonard is BTG's claim. if a grp of alliance about the size you guys had last night attacked it, and only BTG responded, it prolly woulda been an even fight

unfortunately there is so little wpvp that everyone has to respond, the same goes for you guys

there is just not enough ppl on either horde or alliance
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Has anyone thought of planning a WPVP event cross faction.

I.E. Battle of the Barrens, Alliance forms ranks in southern barrens, Horde in North. Objective based warfare, each side needs to stop the other from taking a target. Faction that can take and hold the objective for 15 to 30 minutes wins.

Horde Protects Crossroads and road from there to southern barrens.
Alliance protects road from North barrens to Camp Taurajo

Each guild will get certain roles based on war council (I.E. GM's of each guild participating) So on horde side one guild would work strike team. Working there way to Camp Taurajo, another guild patrols from border to Xroads, and another guild can either play shield wall for xroads or rotate on patrol with second guild.

Plan it out a week, get a lot of people interested, get the RP'ers who don't normally go to world PVP to come out, Not in a major guild, assign them to a guild that meets there play style and time online.

This gets the community involved. outside from those who watch World Defense, It allows a structured PVP battle with direction to ensure that all involved can get some action. And finally, gets member of the community who don't know about Wpvp, and who is out there a chance to meet and play with guilds that they may be looking for but haven't had the chance to interact with.

Wall of text over, back to network design and implementation.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Mal, why don't you head up such an event?

I'll speak to you in-game about helping, etc.
Reply Quote
We're trying to set up some weekly wPvP events, and last Thursday was the first of those. We were about half the strength in numbers of the horde group at the time, and there wasn't a chance - partway through I just left and went to Stormwind to advertise, but there was zero interest. I don't know how many were online and not paying attention or caring, but something's gotta change.
I don't think there's anything stopping Alliance from having the same numbers. Our populations are not so disparate that we can't put up a fight. I think some of us have just lost interest because the fights have become less fruitful. The only way to get this train moving again is for us to get up and do it! Alliance, respond to those pings, back up your allies. You're the only ones who can do this.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
I don't think there's anything stopping Alliance from having the same numbers. Our populations are not so disparate that we can't put up a fight. I think some of us have just lost interest because the fights have become less fruitful. The only way to get this train moving again is for us to get up and do it! Alliance, respond to those pings, back up your allies. You're the only ones who can do this.

Getting outnumbered happens. Grin will always keep up the fite for a few rounds even if we are doubled by the enemy.
Reply Quote
Getting outnumbered happens. Grin will always keep up the fite for a few rounds even if we are doubled by the enemy.

Getting outnumbered while PvPers are sitting idle in Stormwind happens, too, and it really sucks.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Long ago and far away there were a handful of coordinated rp/pvp events across faction. These were typically held at "neutral" sites (halaa was one for example) though not always, and sometimes were accompanied by forum plotline setup and closure. Once or twice we fought through Ashenvale, once the horde rolled from Andorhal and rolled south until we hit Ironforge. We sacked several settlements along the way before finally being repulsed at The Great Forge, and much fun was had that day.

Granted, the server now is not as it was then, and the forum posters are far fewer than there were then, but I believe it can be done. Maybe pick a time when folks might be on/interested/not horns-deep in r-bgs or whatever?
Edited by Istas on 4/28/2013 12:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Sounds good. I'm glad the posts here have been constructive, I had a feeling I'd get branded whiney for this post but I put it up anyway. Provoking Wpvp over the past few days has shown me that while typically pinging a base makes the Horde mad, I probably shouldn't be writing checks my toosh can't cash. Can't complain when I get overwhelmed on enemy turf!

That said, I'd very much like to see some coordination from both sides to get some Wpvp going. If we can agree on a time/day that would be good for both sides, I'll gladly make the event on the guild calender myself. :)

If anyone Horde side would like to contact me about possibly setting something up, my tag is #delaMota1426
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
04/28/2013 09:26 PMPosted by Aedinus
I had a feeling I'd get branded

i miss dash
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Aedinus - nah, surely not by us VeCo old timers who remember the days when our server was well known for FITE.

>.o
Reply Quote
95 Night Elf Rogue
04/28/2013 09:26 PMPosted by Aedinus
I had a feeling I'd get branded whiney for this post but I put it up anyway.
I honestly do not see what you posted as whiny. It is also not really pointing fingers or trying to bash people. :)
Reply Quote
My issues re: WPvP is there's very little reward for the time invested, outside of fun. We get nothing for it that can advance us and usually by the time I've responded to a ping, things are long over by the time I get there.

The most fun I've had with WPvP has been participating in what folks have mentioned here...scheduled, organized events that get the major guilds on the server involved, or at least interested, in WPvP.

The random skirmishing has never done it for me, frankly. It's over too quickly, is usually one-sided and more often than not engenders ill will rather than fosters goodwill, at least with me.

Now, WPvP is not, or ever will be, GoAs focus, so we're not the best to depend upon to be the organizers of said events. BUT, when it's a large scale, organized thing with a clear cut goal for each side, then I personally will be there whenever and as often as I can.

The last full scale WPvP event I was a part of and thoroughly enjoyed was the last organized defense of Stromgarde that I recall us doing. Alliance tried to hold it, Horde tried to kill us all and kick us out. Lots of people involved, a clear cut goal, and a solid hour or two of more fun than you could shake a stick at.

If things like this were to happen more frequently, be announced with enough notice, and of course, done at a time I could be there, I'd be up for it in spades, and I'm sure a lot of my more PvP-leaning guildies would be too.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I got to agree with Braellyn, Maldrok and others... Open world skirmishes can be a total blast! But sometimes, the most fun I've had has been at more organized events. Myself and the rest of <The Gathering> have been planning and coming up with some ideas lately. However, I've noticed an interest by others to plan some events too! This is awesome! We may wait to post ours until the other events have been posted though, better to spread them out then have them all at once! I'm loving this though! :)

P.S. If anyone wants to help with the events we got on the back burner right now, please feel free to whisper me and battletag me.

And Aedinus, I agree with the rest - You definitely don't sound whiny! Thanks for starting this thread! :)
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Death Knight
When my camp is under attack, all soldiers within my influence will arrive to defend. Gorum Chaoseater does not bandy words with the Alliance, I do not seek friendship. The day the backs of the Alliance are broken, when the last human flees the smoldering ruin of Stormwind, when the last Dwarf scurry's in fear into his dark hole, when the last Gnomish gizmo whirs it's last. Then shall I speak of friendship and peace.

But.....

Tis said that once upon a time Alexander wept for there were no more worlds to conquer. There is nothing I relish better than an opponent fairly fought, and fairly bested. And the dish of vengeance has little flavor without the garnish of challenge. I have nothing but pity when the foes against which I have set myself and my forces falls with hardly a fight.

The Irony of the situation is that it is the races of the Horde, the beasts and so called monsters that prevail because of their alliances instead of the faction which bears that name. What you truly face is the might of The Dreadhorde. Allies that protect their borders, strike in concert, and communicate to bolster a defense when any incursion is found.

Arm yourself with the sword of communication, put on the armor of respect, and hoist the shield of camaraderie. Then come for us human. And we shall see a true battle.

FEAR THE GRIN!
Reply Quote
@Chaoseater...PUH-LEAZE! The races of the Horde more "allied" than the races of the Alliance? I don't know what drug laced oats you've been chewing on lately...but what I hear is that your factions are at each other's throats and that no one can stand your Warchief. Doesn't sound like much of an alliance to me...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Hey hey...let's leave oats out of this. Oats are a very personal matter.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]