Shaman Spread Healing Idea

90 Dwarf Shaman
New ability

Scattered Showers
30% of base mana
Instant Cast
10 second Cooldown
Shares Cooldown with Healing Rain
Instantly summon scattered showers of healing rain, healing up to 6 of the most injured party or raid members within 40 yards for X over 10 seconds.

Thoughts?

The devs could even reuse the whole 'storm cloud over a player' type of effect they use for ToT trash.

[Edited for clarity]
Edited by Luvbacon on 4/28/2013 11:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Sounds good to me. Which means it probably won't happen.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I like the idea of having a spread-raid healing ability, whatever it may be, share a lockout with Healing Rain. I'm not sure how that one hasn't occurred to me over the past two years of WoW forum reading.

I've been extremely partial to adding a "virus" type heal, somewhat like Cascade. I think Monks have some mist thing that I would consider a virus heal. Another idea is somehow triggering it from some interaction with UE.

Sadly, I probably share my pessimism with Kaels. =(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
This is just Circle of Healing.

Bliz already ruined a unique spell, Light of Dawn, and made it a CoH clone.

Rework HST if necessary.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I like the idea of having a spread-raid healing ability, whatever it may be, share a lockout with Healing Rain. I'm not sure how that one hasn't occurred to me over the past two years of WoW forum reading.

Not sure either, since I've suggested several times in threads you've been active in that that's what needs to happen :-P

Well, my interpretation of the OP was that it was supposed to be a HoT-type ability (hence "showers"), though I could be wrong. Of course a smart HoT steps on WG's toes, but perhaps it could be different if the 'showers' also healed nearby players, or migrated from player to player with each tick, or something.

I've been extremely partial to adding a "virus" type heal, somewhat like Cascade. I think Monks have some mist thing that I would consider a virus heal. Another idea is somehow triggering it from some interaction with UE.

I like the idea. Which means it won't happen. Only priests (and I guess monks) ever seem to get abilities that I like.

(Cascade and Halo are basically what I suggested as potential shaman spread healing solutions back in Cata...sigh.)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
HR has 3 resources / limitations that can be considering as tradable for healing from a new strong aoe heal:
1. Mana
commentary - LOL, with the lowered cost of healing rain, and the pathetic no-CD heals you'd literally never not use both rain and "new spread AoE tool". NOPE
2. Unleash Elements
commentary - A 30% boost to healing rain is like 200-300k additional healing in a perfect world. Having unleashed behave differently with riptide (apply the hot to 3 additional players @ 9sec duration), or having unleash increase the duration of HST by 5 seconds (or just boost HST healing in the first place).
commentary2 - Rather than having unleash boost healing rain, it could change healing rain... for example there could be a "glyph of geyser". When empowered by unleashed life, healing rain now spawns a geyser healing 2 players ever 2 seconds within 40 yards but healing rain's diminishing returns cap is reduced to 3/4 players.
3. Healing Rain's CD
commentary - I'd be pretty easy to make a second casted ability that consumes healing rain's CD, for use in situations where HR is like 1-2 targets. Basically any spread heal could be a model for this.

Personally I like the idea of just making the HPS gains from unleashing something other than rain worthwhile. The fact that it is a flat 30% increase and you have to pick between abilities that do <100k non-crit healing or one ability that does 700+k healing. It's isn't really a choice, even for single target healing with healing rain... unleashing healing rain is still the largest HPS gain.
Edited by Pitkanen on 4/27/2013 10:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
maybe allow UE to affect HST

either way, looking at T15 resto set bonuses bliz seems to agree shamans need more spread/smart healing
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
we need something for spread that 1. Will not make our stacked healing OP, and 2. Will not make us OP in PvP.

I think either this or a totem is our only possible solution. Maybe a combination of buffing HST and maybe changing STone Bulwark Totem to apply a shield to some raid members would be good.

But I think the simplest solution for us is something like I suggested.
Edited by Luvbacon on 4/27/2013 1:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I agreed that what ever they add it has to share a CD with Healing Rain. I for one would be happy if they made CH 2sec base cast and made the glyph baseline without the cd of course
Edited by Reesons on 4/27/2013 4:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
That would work too.

I do not think a simple rework of HST alone would work. If it were buffed enough on it's own to fix our spread healing, then we would be gods of stacked healing. It basically has to share a CD with Healing rain not to make us OP.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Just make the CH glyph baseline and without a CD, is that so hard?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
That won't fix our issues. Shaman in 25s can hit max targets with chain heal pretty much on demand. Does that keep us from generally sitting bottom of the heap? Nope

Even if they made this change and buffed chain heal significantly, they would soon nerf our godlike stacked healing abilities.

Sorry, chain heal range extension as a total fix to our spread healing doesn't pass the sniff test imo.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman

Yeah...

But its exactly the sort of thing shaman need. Perhaps, and in the current healer climate I shudder to say this, make it a HoT?

To distinguish it from CoH and to also provide the extended throughput the way Healing Rain does.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Why not just buff the radius of Healing Rain? The DRs and the problems with the rest of the toolkit will keep it from being too broken. It'll still be an important tool, but one that doesn't rely on stacking people in a small area. It's also a backdoor buff to Conductivity, which certainly seems to need SOME kind of help.

Incidentally, wouldn't the OP's proposal be yet another nail in its coffin? The fact that almost everyone takes HTT almost all the time is a *bad* thing that ideally ought to be *fixed*, not something that you should just assume is going to stay that way forever. Since shaman are on the low side overall, this should mainly take the form of buffing the alternative talents until they start looking good in at least some situations.

Baselining the jump distance on CH sounds good to me too. Change the glyph to make it instant cast with CD, so if you absolutely have to not stop for a second, you can still use it (unglyphed would remain casting time/no CD but gains the jump distance).

P.S. If Blizzard is for some reason reluctant to straight buff Shamans in general or HR in particular, they could instead add a glyph that increases HR's radius in exchange for a small decrease in total heal, so that it is only used on spread heavy fights where unglyphed HR would be hard to use at all. But in a stack fight you're already getting the full output of HR anyway, so a radius buff would change nothing.
Reply Quote
I like the idea, though I'd tweak it a bit so it's not a Circle of Healing clone.

I really like that it shares a cooldown with Healing Rain, I think that's smart. I would maybe change it to something like:

Scattered Showers
30% of base mana
Instant Cast
10 second Cooldown
Instantly summon scattered showers of healing rain on up to 6 of the most injured party or raid members within 40 yards. Each Scattered Shower will heal one friendly target standing in the shower for X per second. Lasts 6 seconds.

Basically, you choose between one big Healing Rain that heals everyone who stands in it or 6 small Healing Rains that heal one person each. The idea would be that the rain cloud appears above the targets and stays in the same spot for 6 seconds. The person can stand there the whole time to get max healing from it, or they can move out and let someone else move in and get the rest of the healing. It would be a new mechanic, kind of a like a mix between Wild Growth and Efflorescence (Swiftmend's ground effect).

It would just have to be balanced well so that Healing Rain will always be better in stacked situations and Scattered Showers would be useful when you can't stack.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
@Flintte - It's an interesting idea, but strikes me a little like the unglyphed lightwell or mistweaver mastery, both of which I find lackluster. Attaching the cloud to a player would be a better solution imo because most players tunnel vision so hard, they'd miss out on a ton of healing. Plus the abilities' equivilent in other classes (Light of Dawn, Circle of Healing) require no such personal effort on the part of those being healed. I think this would trade one frustration for another.

Also, we already have our 'stack in this or no heals' ability, Healing Rain.

Can you think of a way we could make it more unique without requiring the person getting healed to do something? Cause I think that in current WoW, that is asking far too much.
Edited by Luvbacon on 4/28/2013 11:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
And as to a hot versus instant heal question; I think mechanically I'd prefer instant healing due to the pervasive burst dmg in current raids, but tbh a HoT probably fits the ability better thematically. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
@Flintte - It's an interesting idea, but strikes me a little like the unglyphed lightwell or mistweaver mastery, both of which I find lackluster. Attaching the cloud to a player would be a better solution imo because most players tunnel vision so hard, they'd miss out on a ton of healing. Plus the abilities' equivilent in other classes (Light of Dawn, Circle of Healing) require no such personal effort on the part of those being healed. I think this would trade one frustration for another.

Also, we already have our 'stack in this or no heals' ability, Healing Rain.

Can you think of a way we could make it more unique without requiring the person getting healed to do something? Cause I think that in current WoW, that is asking far too much.

Well, all they'd really have to do is just stand in it. Gift of the Serpent requires players having to move into the healing sphere and unglyphed Lightwell requires clicking, this would just be like a personal Healing Rain. The only time I would see it being an issue is during times of high movement. As long as they don't move too far after it's cast, they should still get most, if not all of the healing.

Attaching the cloud to each target would probably be better, but then that basically just makes it like Wild Growth. I like the ground effect idea, but I can see where you're coming from, even though I disagree that it would be much of a problem. I don't think it should be an instant heal, because we already have enough spells in the game that act like that.

Though here's another idea: what if it's an instant heal with a 100% chance to proc the Earthliving HoT?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

Scattered Showers
30% of base mana
Instant Cast
10 second Cooldown
Instantly summon scattered showers of healing rain on up to 6 of the most injured party or raid members within 40 yards. Each Scattered Shower will heal one friendly target standing in the shower for X per second. Lasts 6 seconds.

This wont fix anything imo, for people will move out of it just like they do HR. I do not believe we need any new spells shamans already have to much on their bars as it is. With that being said fix CH and the spread healing issue will be solved imo. here are my suggestions

1. Make the glyph remove the chain visual so that CH would look like a laser moving from target to target instead of one big chain. I suggest this because it might fix the issue of CH not jumping to as many targets as intended.

2. Make the current glyph baseline without the CD ( I believe they cant because of old coding not sure [this is also why suggestion one makes better since to me])

3. Have CH chain emit from the target rather than the shaman(this is hit or miss still kind of).

4. 2sec base cast on CH (easiest thing to fix but would make stack healing even more op) last resort

Bottom line if they just fix CH so that it hit as many targets as it should ALL THE TIME I think shaman everywhere will be fine. we don't need some new spell.

P.S. Also if they could make the other tier 5 talents some what as useful as HTT that'd be great :)
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman

Scattered Showers
30% of base mana
Instant Cast
10 second Cooldown

This wont fix anything imo, for people will move out of it just like they do HR. I do not believe we need any new spells shamans already have to much on their bars as it is. With that being said fix CH and the spread healing issue will be solved imo. here are my suggestions

1. Make the glyph remove the chain visual so that CH would look like a laser moving from target to target instead of one big chain. I suggest this because it might fix the issue of CH not jumping to as many targets as intended.

2. Make the current glyph baseline without the CD ( I believe they cant because of old coding not sure [this is also why suggestion one makes better since to me])

3. Have CH chain emit from the target rather than the shaman(this is hit or miss still kind of).

4. 2sec base cast on CH (easiest thing to fix but would make stack healing even more op) last resort

Bottom line if they just fix CH so that it hit as many targets as it should ALL THE TIME I think shaman everywhere will be fine. we don't need some new spell.

P.S. Also if they could make the other tier 5 talents some what as useful as HTT that'd be great :)

1. wat
2. oblivious 'old coding' comment, sense*
3.wat
4. stack healing would have to be OP to start with before it would become "even more op"

But I agree w/ your consensus, we don't need a new spell. Just need CH to be worthwhile.. making the glyphed range baseline w/out the added CD would be enough imo. Lower cast time or making the increased healing off a riptide target baseline would be gravy (the latter probably never happening b/c supposedly this is "engaging gameplay" trololol)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]