Mistweaver: Worth effort, or go Disc/Hplay ?

I didn't enjoy my resto shaman when I hit 90, so I'm looking for another healer to try out. I've got an 85 gob priest I played back in wrath and I loved disc at the time. Also sitting on an 86 Hpal, and then this Monk. I just dropped WW to try MW and haven't had a lot of time to set up my bars. I read some guides and... well, the class seems very non-traditional for this spec, so I'm not sure how much I'll like it.

I'm wondering how people would compare the Mistweaver playstyle to the experience of playing a disc priest or HPal, which for a player since vanilla, are "intuitive" to me. At first glance there doesn't seem to be a lot of direclty translated spells that I can go "okay, that is the same as flash, that's the same as a rejuv, that's like a PW:S" and just slap them on my bar and roll out.

So I'm trying to get a feel for what I can expect, how hard the learning curve was, etc. Especially since the majority of my healing was at the beginning of cata as a disc priest, and I've done little since (and nearly none prior to that).

Also, they seem just downright fun. Priest I could probably pick up and play easily... but MW not so much.

Worth the effort?

(I have a 515 lock that was my main and a 511ish Blood DK that I raid on primarily).
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
you don't want to be a disc priest or holy paladin

everyone complains about you all the time

you don't want that kind of burden
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Play what you want. Really, that's what it boils down to. If you're just going to roll a class because you're only interested in playing the flavor of the month, then please go away.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Worth it. Enjoy it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
A lot the effort in learning monks is fixed with good weakauras.

I recommend downloading Weakauras and getting a good renewing mist tracker, that removes the hard part about refreshing your renewing mists at 8. The rest of learning monks comes down to putting everything on cd, which again can be fixed by getting good weakauras.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Huh, this is actually the exact same problem I've been trying to answer. Bookmarked this thread for the future answers!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Play what you want. Really, that's what it boils down to. If you're just going to roll a class because you're only interested in playing the flavor of the month, then please go away.

This.

This here toon is my main healer. Unfortunately, since my guild started raiding tier 14 later, I ended up raiding with another guild with this one. So, I had just gotten my disc priest to 90 and geared her up to raid with the guild.

Of the two styles, I actually prefer this one.

I am also in the process of leveling a monk. The best part about mistweaver so far: I can easily solo quests with her in that spec. It's fun, but I don't plan on making her my main any time soon. Might raid with her- but not seriously if I can help it.

My main point is, play a character because you enjoy it- not because they're the flavor of the month.
Reply Quote
40 Blood Elf Priest

Um I don't know how you play your toons, but I've never run into issues with disc priests and holy pallies. They are both great healers when played well.
Reply Quote
40 Blood Elf Priest
I found this website regarding an overview of what it is like playing a mistweaver. Definitely worth a read:

http://treehealsgowoosh.wordpress.com/2012/10/06/why-you-should-or-shouldnt-play-a-mistweaver-monk/
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Um I don't know how you play your toons, but I've never run into issues with disc priests and holy pallies. They are both great healers when played well.
'

He's saying other healers will !@#$% about your absorbs screwing them over.
Reply Quote
40 Blood Elf Priest

'

He's saying other healers will !@#$% about your absorbs screwing them over.

Personally I've never run into this kind of commentary from raiding o.O

If people do respond that way, they need to get over it and realize that is how the healing mechanics are currently until blizzard changes it. Yes, the absorbs are pretty sweet for both classes which is great for those that play those classes. That being said, they will not be on top forever, like all healing classes. Soon, another healing spec will be on top and there will be qq's regarding that OP healer in the same regard. I just say go with it, learn your class, play it well, and enjoy the ride.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest

You must not visit these forums often. There's quite a bit of rabble about absorbs almost always. :)

I just say go with it, learn your class, play it well, and enjoy the ride.

100% agree!
Edited by Qùess on 4/30/2013 7:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
40 Blood Elf Priest
04/30/2013 07:46 AMPosted by Qùess

You must not visit these forums often. There's quite a bit of rabble about absorbs almost always. :)

I just say go with it, learn your class, play it well, and enjoy the ride.

100% agree!

Tbh its been a while since I've been on these forums lol

Today I'm off, wow is offline, really don't feel like going out yet for the day, and am enjoying my coffee. So like many people, here I am patiently hoping wow comes online soon D: ....and adding my two cents while I wait o.O

/sips coffee
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If you play a MW: Your job is blanket healing. You are an inferior tank healer to disc/hpal, you bring less utility, but you have the highest (potential) burst throughput in the game. (single target or AoE.)

Single target is harder to use because it's ground targeted in healing spheres.

AoE is simply tft/chi brewed uplifts. However, delaying ReM off CD by more than one or two seconds will mess up your healing for the next 16~ seconds. Playing a MW well has it's rewards though.

If you want to be all around useful, hpal is probably the strongest healer atm. But MW are pretty awesome, and have throughput other healers can only dream of. (Unfortunately, most of it is overhealing due to absorbs and extremely clunky healing mechanics, but oh well.)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I love love love my disc priest. Really, I do. I've never had anybody complain to me that I was healing bad or wrong or whatever.

However I just started a mistweaver and really am enjoying that as well. It's much more difficult to play because you don't have to just sit back and heal, you can melee and get healing too.
Edited by Shiunja on 4/30/2013 9:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
This...

I am a strong believer in player>class but there is one thing that will remain constant with MW monks...they are STRONG raid heals. although single target SoM is quick and powerful, its cost may be too great for some players. I have played this toon since Pandaland had hit and one thing that was obvious from the start...fistweaving seems to be what blizzard would like for MW's. Now i know this may come off as being very bias ( My playstyle is Fistweaving) but i have tryed both styles only to come out with better numbers while fistweaving. Astraios...i COMPLETELY agree with you...blanket heals with Emmenance and ReM/Uplift is what makes this class fun and challenging to play. I also play a Disc/Holy priest and a Holy pally. In comparison Disc and Hpallys come out with better numbers while tank healing specifically for the absorbs and surge healing. Pennance and Holy Shocks crit and surges definatly make those classes good...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
If you play a MW: Your job is blanket healing. You are an inferior tank healer to disc/hpal, you bring less utility, but you have the highest (potential) burst throughput in the game. (single target or AoE.)

Single target is harder to use because it's ground targeted in healing spheres.

AoE is simply tft/chi brewed uplifts. However, delaying ReM off CD by more than one or two seconds will mess up your healing for the next 16~ seconds. Playing a MW well has it's rewards though.

If you want to be all around useful, hpal is probably the strongest healer atm. But MW are pretty awesome, and have throughput other healers can only dream of. (Unfortunately, most of it is overhealing due to absorbs and extremely clunky healing mechanics, but oh well.)

I highly disagree with you about monk single target healing. With soothing combined with enveloping and instant cast mist surge ive gotten about 500k burst healing healing on my monk over the course of 3-4 seconds with easily sustained 100k hps single target keeping enveloping mist going.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Most of the complicated stuff comes from trying to Fistweave in something harder than a 5 man, but most of the time you won't need to since it's usually not worth it if the fight doesn't have damage modifiers of some kind. And since you don't really have to Fistweave outside of doing dailies, it's not really complicated at all, although it is far more rotational than any other healer.

Monk has some positioning to be aware of too (less than Shaman but more than anyone else) when using Chi Burst or Chi Torpedo, but the rest of the time you will be just using ReM/Soothing/Uplift to blanket heal the raid, and chugging glyphed Mana Tea. Occasionally you might want to spot heal with Enveloping and Healing Sphere but that's not common. Monk baseline CDs are extremely simple to understand too, except maybe Thunder Focus Tea, but once you get good at that you should be fine w/ everything else.

Despite me still being quite miffed how mediocre Fistweaving is in a raid now thanks to the nerfs, it's still a fun class. There's lots of buttons to press and no sitting around in a group, and being able to clear solo scenarios/dailies, and even Rank 4 Brawler's guild in a competitive timeframe with little risk of death makes me feel independent.
Reply Quote

Incoming rant

Yes, because my post asked which healer class is the most OP, and my goal is to min/max and be in a heroic progression focused guild on this alt.... right.

Sick of people blatantly dropping this "play what you like" crap anytime somebody is asking for feedback about a class. My post was *clearly* saying that I see a learning curve, and wanted to see if it was worthwhile to spend the time investment learning the class, because my shaman was *not fun* (edit: Okay I said I did not enjoy, enjoyment is very subjective and many people probably read that as "I'm not OP").

Not to mention I put the word "playstyle" in there.

This is an alt. My like, 5th or 6th 90. I could give a crap if it's OP, I've been around the block long enough to know about FOTM and how useless it is to chase that rainbow.

End rant.

Thanks for the feedback though!
Edited by Fistfirst on 4/30/2013 7:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I will say I consider myself a good mist weaver properly mixing in fistweaving with ranged healing but the new heroic raid group I have started running with the atone priest really changed my mind. I can pull 50-80k dps pretty well when I only need to eminence heal and use uplift/renew mixed in with a 5 stack surge heal but the disc priest in our group with 40% atone healing on the meters was almost 13% above the rest of our healers.

Some people amaze me at their skill even when I think I am all that then you turn around and find out how weak you are to other people.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]