HCT 13: The Plural of Anecdote is Data.

8 Goblin Warrior
Mini rant of the day:

One thing I miss about Texas was that schools there let students stand up for them selves. If they were getting bullied, they had every right to clock the bully if they felt threatened.

Regardless, I keep reading stories of students who get in trouble for lashing out at their aggressors because of some backwards "violence is not the answer" label that broadly labels every action in a black-and-white spectrum.

While I agree, violence is not usually the "Best" answer, sometimes, if it's between loosing teeth and broken bones from playing by the rules and letting them tear you a new one and fighting back like a cornered animal, I believe it'd be better to stand up for yourself.

Anyway, just thought I'd open up that can of worms here.
Feels good to rant a bit.

Honestly, if someone is being physically threatened, the school has fundamentally failed. Period. Their whole point is to provide a safe environment. What kills me is when the administration refuses to step in. They're teenagers, they need to have boundaries. If kids are ruthlessly bulling someone, they need to be stopped.
And the biggest problem with having the school do is that the school fails and the kid does not learn self reliance. He's always going to go to the authority figure, be the teacher or later on in life the authorities. The big problem is that once he goes out there in the big bad world if he can not rely on himself then the world will eat him alive. Xumio capped the thread before my response.
90 Dwarf Hunter
Mini rant of the day:

One thing I miss about Texas was that schools there let students stand up for them selves. If they were getting bullied, they had every right to clock the bully if they felt threatened.

Regardless, I keep reading stories of students who get in trouble for lashing out at their aggressors because of some backwards "violence is not the answer" label that broadly labels every action in a black-and-white spectrum.

While I agree, violence is not usually the "Best" answer, sometimes, if it's between loosing teeth and broken bones from playing by the rules and letting them tear you a new one and fighting back like a cornered animal, I believe it'd be better to stand up for yourself.

Anyway, just thought I'd open up that can of worms here.
Feels good to rant a bit.

Yup. It was frustrating in school when I got suspended twice my junior year. Got bullied nonstop from middle school up and finally got fed up with it one day after I got jumped in the locker room. Next day, one of the guys smarted off to me and I lost it on him.

And I got suspended for it while the other guy played the victim card. Nevermind the "RACIST" card that got thrown around in my school a lot as a get out of jail free card. After I got back, friend of that guy sucker punches me in the lunch line. I fight back. I get out of school suspension and a meeting with the school board while the other guy got off with 2 days of in school suspension which got removed because he used the race card. The joy of living in a backwoods town.

Anyways, I agree. My 8th grade English teacher told us about when he grew up, if two kids had a massive problem with each other, they'd give them boxing gloves and 3 minutes to duke it out in the gym. Afterwards, shake hands and most of the time the problem fixed itself. The kids worked it out of their system and moved on instead of allowing it to build up to the point where someone got severely hurt. I dread the day when/if I have kids and have to put them into the public school system.
Edited by Bullettime on 4/29/2013 6:55 PM PDT
90 Troll Hunter
Wasn't it my cap? (was stuck in LFR and didn't have time to alt-tab & make it yet)
90 Human Hunter
tag
100 Troll Hunter
http://www.twitch.tv/thesircuddles

10 H Lei Shen, 4 hours of progression so far. Have yet to hit 2nd main phase with everyone alive. Probably a good 12 hours from a kill.
Edited by Pestílence on 4/29/2013 7:05 PM PDT
90 Dwarf Hunter
Good luck.
8 Goblin Warrior
I got lucky, my kid is both autistic and popular. My last bullying incident at school was in a high school class, kid really wanted to fight me. I apologized to the teacher after class, explained that I had an issue with a student of mine messing up someone in a fight and having a conversation with the local cops. I then told the teacher what I was really tempted to do to the fat idiot. By the end of the day fatso (not a fair characterization so sorry about that fatso) had found me, began kissing my butt, and promising not to pull that stupid stuff again.

He may have heard the story of me knocking out a giant kid two years before (6'10" or so and heavy enough to have his own orbit) or the other stories from that year (one was not true the jackass ran into a tree so hard he knocked himself out) but I doubt that since there was racial issues that kinda overwhelmed all other stories. Plus it had gotten out what my skills in MA (MMA with a gi really) were, and not by me or my brother.
8 Goblin Warrior
Good luck.
And the biggest problem with having the school do is that the school fails and the kid does not learn self reliance. He's always going to go to the authority figure, be the teacher or later on in life the authorities. The big problem is that once he goes out there in the big bad world if he can not rely on himself then the world will eat him alive. Xumio capped the thread before my response.

I'm going to have to disagree. The school should not be letting it escalate to the point of violence. Ever. Their job is to provide a safe and constructive learning environment. If a child is not feeling safe, they've dropped the ball. Having kids sort problems like this without outside guidance is a recipe for disaster.

I feel like your personal experience, while it worked for you, is not a good solution to the problem as a whole. Teaching kids to fight is not the answer. Teaching them not to be heinous jerks to each other seems more workable. You don't have to like everyone around you, but at the very least people can learn to keep their hands to themselves and their jerkiness to a minimum.

If I were having a problem with an individual to the point where I no longer felt physically safe, I would contact the authorities. I have no illusion about what would happen if I tried to confront someone on my own.
http://www.twitch.tv/thesircuddles

10 H Lei Shen, 4 hours of progression so far. Have yet to hit 2nd main phase with everyone alive. Probably a good 12 hours from a kill.

My advice to you is not to die.
100 Troll Hunter
My advice to you is not to die.

Noted.
8 Goblin Warrior
04/29/2013 07:17 PMPosted by Sneakys

I'm going to have to disagree. The school should not be letting it escalate to the point of violence. Ever. Their job is to provide a safe and constructive learning environment. If a child is not feeling safe, they've dropped the ball. Having kids sort problems like this without outside guidance is a recipe for disaster.

I feel like your personal experience, while it worked for you, is not a good solution to the problem as a whole. Teaching kids to fight is not the answer. Teaching them not to be heinous jerks to each other seems more workable. You don't have to like everyone around you, but at the very least people can learn to keep their hands to themselves and their jerkiness to a minimum.

If I were having a problem with an individual to the point where I no longer felt physically safe, I would contact the authorities. I have no illusion about what would happen if I tried to confront someone on my own.
You need to realize something, humans are pack animals. Bullies need to be dominate and remain dominate. It's in our nature to be so. Fighting should always be the last resort but honestly the best answer to a bully is to be meaner than the bully. I handled fatso without fighting him. I let the teacher handle it. The giant had a couple of beta males with him and I had no choice. When I dropped him they backed off as their alpha was defeated. Also bare in mind the average response time for 9-1-1 is a lot longer than it is needed to really hurt you. Something to think about. I know this because I bare a knife scar from someone never found.
Edited by Whim on 4/29/2013 7:33 PM PDT
100 Night Elf Hunter
04/29/2013 07:17 PMPosted by Sneakys
The school should not be letting it escalate to the point of violence. Ever.

While I would love to endlessly debate whether the burden of responsibility falls upon the school, the child, or the parents, or some combination, I'm not sure that I'd be able to do so without offending a great number of people.

The conversation is now about fruits. I like apples, and their oh-so-delicious juice.
8 Goblin Warrior

The conversation is now about fruits. I like apples, and their oh-so-delicious juice.
I love apples, oranges, pears and grapes but I have vitamin C issues so they love me. When I can get the time for it, a shot of grape juice every Sunday is about all I handle.
90 Draenei Hunter
I don't want to make this a long rambly thing, but I'm leaving the game today.
Sorry, I know it was a short run this time around (since the launch of this expansion) but I'm done.

Wanted to say farewell here because it's my "home away from home". Much love to you guys and I wish you all the best. <3

Anyone feel free to take over/remake/delete/whatever the sticky. If you want me to email you the edited version (with all the links and stuff) that can probably be arranged.
8 Goblin Warrior
Sorry, I know it was a short run this time around (since the launch of this expansion) but I'm done.

Wanted to say farewell here because it's my "home away from home". Much love to you guys and I wish you all the best. <3

Anyone feel free to take over/remake/delete/whatever the sticky. If you want me to email you the edited version (with all the links and stuff) that can probably be arranged.
WHAT?!
04/29/2013 07:24 PMPosted by Whim
You need to realize something, humans are pack animals. Bullies need to be dominate and remain dominate. It's in our nature to be so. Fighting should always be the last resort but honestly the best answer to a bully is to be meaner than the bully. I handled fatso without fighting him. I let the teacher handle it. The giant had a couple of beta males with him and I had no choice. When I dropped him they backed off as their alpha was defeated. Also bare in mind the average response time for 9-1-1 is a lot longer than it is needed to really hurt you. Something to think about.

Yeah thanks Whim. I would wager as a petite woman I actually think about the prospect of being physically harmed by someone a lot more frequently than you (i.e. it effects me every single day and effects what I can and can't do). I will say that a lot of what you wrote here does not exactly reflect the latest in psychology (alpha and beta males/females are not actually a thing. They're a product of popular science/message boards).

Your attitude about bullying, is, in my opinion, part of the problem. I suspect you and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but that's fine. This is not the appropriate forum to discuss this, so this will be my last post on the matter.

I think I live on avocados. Seriously. And apple juice, though I don't think that counts. But I eat 2-3 Avocados a week. Those things are expensive but I DON'T CARE! MY LOVE IS STRONG!
90 Dwarf Hunter

You still have my email. Send it over and I'll do the upkeep.

BUT I NEED YOU!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
100 Night Elf Hunter
But I eat 2-3 Avocados a week

All of my envy.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]