Fresh 90 Blood DK gear question.

90 Tauren Death Knight
BTW I just hit 90 the other day and am still trying to get gear, so its kinda a mix match right now, so I know my gear sucks XD

Anyway, I was reading the guide on the DK forums on the two ways to gear a Blood DK and have a question.

3) Stats

If ignoring hit/exp:
Stam (until you have enough effective health)>Mastery>Parry=Dodge>Haste>Hit=Exp

if hit/exp capping:
Stam (until you have enough effective health)>Mastery>Hit (to 7.50%)=Exp (to 7.50%)>Parry=Dodge>Haste

How do you always accurately gain initial threat with no hit/exp? I know threat for the most part is not really an issue anymore but it really sucks when I miss my initial attacks and do not have agro on a mob for several seconds. Its even more depressing when I pull a group and cant get my diseases up because of missing and then watching mobs peel off onto dps.

Once a fight has gone on for a short time, after the initial few seconds, I usually have no problems but during the rare initial pull it feels really humiliating. On the rare occasion when I get the really overgeared 500+ iLvL dps it feels even more humiliating when they pull threat off me.

Any advice from seasoned blood dks is appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
How do you always accurately gain initial threat with no hit/exp? I know threat for the most part is not really an issue anymore but it really sucks when I miss my initial attacks and do not have agro on a mob for several seconds. Its even more depressing when I pull a group and cant get my diseases up because of missing and then watching mobs peel off onto dps.

Assuming its a boss fight of some sort.. With an OT scenario in a raid its basically the same whether or not you have hit/exp cap or not. The cap helps, but the deciding factor on a tank swap is usually vengeance. If you're tank swapping and the other tank is continually DPSing with his ramped up vengeance, you'll lose aggro. Ask them to stop DPS for 3 seconds or so after the swap and you'll be fine. Hit/exp just increases dps, more reliable SoB stacks and prevents the occasional miss on a tank swap. There's always the chance of things like HS being parried, though.

If you're having trouble with aggro on the pull, just chain taunt until you have some vengeance. Vengeance ramps up a lot quicker now so it won't take very long. Dark command/outbreak, then Death Grip taunt, then DC again. After that you should have enough vengeance/damage done to hold aggro with or without hit/exp.

For AoE, I usually open with outbreak or IT/PS then BB+DnD but I'm fairly used to picking off any mobs that peel so it works for me (though I'm hit/exp capped so my outbreak doesn't miss). If diseases not landing is slowing you down just open with a DnD, then a BB, then put diseases out and spread them. The DnD initial threat should allow you to hold aggro until you have dots up, even if you miss once.

Bit lengthy, and kind of sleepy, so I hope I made sense.
Edited by Niernen on 4/27/2013 7:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Also, I want to point out that as you run dungeons for gear, please do not purchase the 458 JP gear. Convert to honor and buy the 476 PvP gear.

It is light years better. And as a tank, you will be swimming in JPs.

While not technically tanking gear, it is still a LOT better than anything else you will find running dungeons.
Edited by Chuinshao on 4/27/2013 7:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Also, I want to point out that as you run dungeons for gear, please do not purchase the 458 JP gear. Convert to honor and buy the 476 PvP gear.

It is light years better. And as a tank, you will be swimming in JPs.

While not technically tanking gear, it is still a LOT better than anything else you will find running dungeons.

Thanks for the friendly tip :)

04/27/2013 07:04 AMPosted by Niernen

Assuming its a boss fight of some sort.. With an OT scenario in a raid its basically the same whether or not you have hit/exp cap or not. The cap helps, but the deciding factor on a tank swap is usually vengeance. If you're tank swapping and the other tank is continually DPSing with his ramped up vengeance, you'll lose aggro. Ask them to stop DPS for 3 seconds or so after the swap and you'll be fine. Hit/exp just increases dps, more reliable SoB stacks and prevents the occasional miss on a tank swap. There's always the chance of things like HS being parried, though.

If you're having trouble with aggro on the pull, just chain taunt until you have some vengeance. Vengeance ramps up a lot quicker now so it won't take very long. Dark command/outbreak, then Death Grip taunt, then DC again. After that you should have enough vengeance/damage done to hold aggro with or without hit/exp.

For AoE, I usually open with outbreak or IT/PS then BB+DnD but I'm fairly used to picking off any mobs that peel so it works for me (though I'm hit/exp capped so my outbreak doesn't miss). If diseases not landing is slowing you down just open with a DnD, then a BB, then put diseases out and spread them. The DnD initial threat should allow you to hold aggro until you have dots up, even if you miss once.

Bit lengthy, and kind of sleepy, so I hope I made sense.

No no, it was quite helpful :) Thank you for powering through your drowsiness to assist me :) Honestly I am very happy to get such helpful responses. I kinda feared I was going to get a swarm of "ZOMG, YOUR GEAR IS *(&^^%! QUIT THE GAME NOOB!!!1!1" without anyone really stopping to help me. I am glad I was wrong and got some helpful responses.

Thanks to both of you.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I kinda feared I was going to get a swarm of "ZOMG, YOUR GEAR IS *(&^^%! QUIT THE GAME NOOB!!!1!1" without anyone really stopping to help me.

Believe it or not, this forum is one of the more civil ones. As long as you do not make arguments without knowledge and you actually accept the help you ask for.

Welcome!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]