Paladin PvP healing

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hey guys, i am leveling this paladin as holy. So at the moment holy paladins are one of the weaker pvp healers. What nerfs did they get to be this way, and what buffs do you think they need? I am wondering cause i am fairly new to paladins and was wanting to know what some of the issues are.
Reply Quote
91 Human Paladin
I switched to Holy for PvP when I hit 90 and I have honestly not had any problems. I'm usually top heals in almost every BG I am in and I find the burst healing to be great.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
EDIT: Sorry it became a wall of text, it's good tho so you should read it.

Yeah, where in the world did you hear that h.pal is one of the weaker pvp healers? In rbg's we're arguably the best healer overall, in arena at the 2400+ bracket we're represented well but r.sham outperforms slightly due to non-competing DR with the specific comp they are running. Lower rating arena we perform strongly and my PERSONAL experience in rbg play (which is the only pvp I do) is h.pal is EXCEPTIONALLY strong, I'm normally focused down last out of the 3 healers because I'm the hardest to kill.

Our heals are all instant except for flash of light and holy radiance which is rarely used anyways do to scattered teammates which means only one HARDCAST heal and it has a 1.5 sec cast time so you don't have to worry about getting interrupt silenced nearly as much as other healers. Plus we have 3 different CC options one at 15sec and the other at 1min cd's PLUS we have a very strong aoe CC with Blinding Light. The only real nerf we've had was the cast time on blinding light, it USED to be instant and we were definitely overpowered, now it's on a short cast time, mine's 1.8sec and it's a bit more balanced, H.Pal DEFINITELY has strong CC options.

As far as the heals go we're nowhere near the raid heals of some classes "ahem druid" however in any competitive pvp you're not as concerned with that, teams just pick one player and focus them down, that's where we absolutely ROCK AND ROLL, single target heals are amazing, just cast Holy Shock, and Holy Prism on cooldown, and Eternal Flame with 3 holy power and Flash of Light any other time you're chaining heals on someone being focused, every Flash of Light gives 1 holy power with the 4 piece bonus and you will have an abundance of HP. I don't like Word of Glory, i think Eternal Flame is a much better way to go in RBG's, WoG might be handy in arena 2-3's but i doubt it's even used in those.

Plus on top of all that we're arguably the most MOBILE healer there is, melee just cannot catch you if played correctly, take the talent Clemency for sure, double hand of freedom coupled with the talent Speed of Light... /lol @ melee, clemency ALSO allows you an extra ohhshat button for non-flag carrying friendlies, especially casters, with Hand of Protection, make sure to put this on your ele.shaman friends for spell pushback protection if they're getting melee'd. Hand of Sacrifice is godmode when used on a focused friendly target.

Normally I run rbg's with Beacon of Light on MYSELF, I usually catch enough residual damage to make it necessary, and being able to spam heal a target without worrying about dots ticking on me is amazing.

For rbg's reforge to spirit and CRIT! There's a strong arguement for mastery since it is top secondary stat for PVE content, however in rated pvp when people are getting focused you need those CRIT HEALS to save the day so you can /flex and /showoff to your friends after pwning the enemy team.

Edit x2: Gem for resilience/survival, straight resilience in yellow, int/res in red, spi/res in blues. I like the Stamina/reduced stun for my meta gem. When the enemy team simply cannot focus you down that's a winning combo of gems/enchants

If we got ANY buffs we would be considered overpowered, right now we're just "very strong" and there's ZERO issues for me to complain about.
Edited by Iylia on 4/27/2013 1:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I love my pally (heck no in arena atm though since we we don't have a lot of hots, we are pretty easily shut down}. In rbgs, I'm only ever out healed by monks. That being said, its our utility that makes us sexy. Your dk is going to love freedom. And a free dk usually means a dead enemy.

I personally use mastery. Its a lot more predictable imho. Crits aren't dependable. Building a strong absorb helps keep the fc up even if I'm ccd.

As for beacon, I beacon swap to build HP quickly. I macro beacon to fol, and DL. I use DL only on procs as the double HP from a beaconed fol is actually more mama efficient. I keep EF on everyone too so the beacon gets a lot of heals from the EF blanket.

Practice makes better! There's defoinately no perfection though so just develop some hard skin and have at it.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
EDIT: Sorry it became a wall of text, it's good tho so you should read it.

Yeah, where in the world did you hear that h.pal is one of the weaker pvp healers? In rbg's we're arguably the best healer overall, in arena at the 2400+ bracket we're represented well but r.sham outperforms slightly due to non-competing DR with the specific comp they are running. Lower rating arena we perform strongly and my PERSONAL experience in rbg play (which is the only pvp I do) is h.pal is EXCEPTIONALLY strong, I'm normally focused down last out of the 3 healers because I'm the hardest to kill.

Our heals are all instant except for flash of light and holy radiance which is rarely used anyways do to scattered teammates which means only one HARDCAST heal and it has a 1.5 sec cast time so you don't have to worry about getting interrupt silenced nearly as much as other healers. Plus we have 3 different CC options one at 15sec and the other at 1min cd's PLUS we have a very strong aoe CC with Blinding Light. The only real nerf we've had was the cast time on blinding light, it USED to be instant and we were definitely overpowered, now it's on a short cast time, mine's 1.8sec and it's a bit more balanced, H.Pal DEFINITELY has strong CC options.

As far as the heals go we're nowhere near the raid heals of some classes "ahem druid" however in any competitive pvp you're not as concerned with that, teams just pick one player and focus them down, that's where we absolutely ROCK AND ROLL, single target heals are amazing, just cast Holy Shock, and Holy Prism on cooldown, and Eternal Flame with 3 holy power and Flash of Light any other time you're chaining heals on someone being focused, every Flash of Light gives 1 holy power with the 4 piece bonus and you will have an abundance of HP. I don't like Word of Glory, i think Eternal Flame is a much better way to go in RBG's, WoG might be handy in arena 2-3's but i doubt it's even used in those.

Plus on top of all that we're arguably the most MOBILE healer there is, melee just cannot catch you if played correctly, take the talent Clemency for sure, double hand of freedom coupled with the talent Speed of Light... /lol @ melee, clemency ALSO allows you an extra ohhshat button for non-flag carrying friendlies, especially casters, with Hand of Protection, make sure to put this on your ele.shaman friends for spell pushback protection if they're getting melee'd. Hand of Sacrifice is godmode when used on a focused friendly target.

Normally I run rbg's with Beacon of Light on MYSELF, I usually catch enough residual damage to make it necessary, and being able to spam heal a target without worrying about dots ticking on me is amazing.

For rbg's reforge to spirit and CRIT! There's a strong arguement for mastery since it is top secondary stat for PVE content, however in rated pvp when people are getting focused you need those CRIT HEALS to save the day so you can /flex and /showoff to your friends after pwning the enemy team.

Edit x2: Gem for resilience/survival, straight resilience in yellow, int/res in red, spi/res in blues. I like the Stamina/reduced stun for my meta gem. When the enemy team simply cannot focus you down that's a winning combo of gems/enchants

If we got ANY buffs we would be considered overpowered, right now we're just "very strong" and there's ZERO issues for me to complain about.

Bad advice.

Holy paladins are strong in rbgs.
Mastery > crit.
Crit will make you look better on the scoreboard but trust me on this, if you check out recount after an rbg when reforged into mastery, it's stupid the amount of absorbs you'll put out.
Crit does have that make or break value when a targets getting trained but let's face it, you over heal way to much and it's RNG.

Mastery is by far superior.. There's nothing like blanketing your whole team in absorbs and then blanketing your whole team in HoTs because your 30sec HoT tics resets your illuminated healing effectively giving the majority of your team and extra 120k+ of absorbs.
Mastery will also cut down on your overhealing which is a good mana saver.

Also, keeping beacon on yourself is a rookie mistake.
Your heaps HEAPS better off placing beacon on your heal target.. The extra HP gain is crazy and really helps when not only burst healing but for blanketing your team/teammates with EF HoTs plus absorbs.

Gem resil.and spirit
Reforge mastery and spirit

As for arena.
We suck:

1. Resto sham
2. Disc
3. Druid
4. Hpally
5. Monk

Mages, shadow priests and rogues wreck us and to a lesser extent warriors.
Rshams have good synergy with most of those classes.
And let's face it, the ladders are FULL of mages, rogues, shadows and warriors.
You'll have a hard time pushing the ladders as a hpally.

Edit* spelling.
Edited by Crabbyvahj on 4/30/2013 7:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
lol... the talking about the 2400 bracket without 1550 Ok. Roth you are right don't listen to lylia it is true most people say hpallys are one of the weaker healers right now. I read this on another forum and I have to agree its not specifically hpallys that got nerfed its the comps they play. The reason you saw a lot more hpals last season is because kfc was very strong and hpals work well with wars and hunters. When warriors get nerfed now comps like god comp with an rsham or thugcleave with a disc are superior.

So two reasons we aren't "as good" : the comps have changed to favor other healers and some other healers received some decent buffs.
Edited by Crusherz on 5/1/2013 8:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]