One Click Cache Clear "made easy"

95 Blood Elf Mage
So if you're like me and like clearing your cache files every now and again to help keep things running smooth and help NPC_Scan find tags you may have passed on a mount or something. I have found a simple method to do so..

This works for sure on Windows 7 both 32 and 64 bit..
(Void where prohibited, mileage may vary, some assembly required, not available in all areas, see your dealer for details.)

Ok, first step is pretty simple.. Open the MAIN folder where you have wow installed.
(The one that has the WoW.exe file.. )

Next right-click on a blank section to open the Context Menu, bring the mouse cursor down to NEW ----> Then go to (TEXT DOCUMENT). It must be done in text editor not the wordpad program.

Its going to ask you for a file name.. This can be whatever you like, I personally just use

WoW_CacheClear.bat

What IS important is that you MUST change the file extension from .txt to .bat

(It will throw an error message about file extensions and windows not working if you change it.. But You know more about your files then windows does so ignore it and move on..)

Right click on the shiny new file and go to properties, when the box pops up make sure the READ-ONLY checkbox is CLEAR! You need write-access to the file for the next step. Once thats all good close the properties box.

Once again your going to right click on your no longer shiny and slightly violated file and go to EDIT..

IT should open up Text editor and be blank...

Next your going to Copy and paste the text between the plus signs but DO NOT include them; into the text editor.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@del Cache\WDB\enUS\creaturecache.wdb
@del Cache\WDB\enUS\npccache.wdb
@del cache\WDB\enUS\gameobjectcache.wdb
@del cache\WDB\enUS\questcache.wdb
@del cache\WDB\enUS\wowcache.wdb
@del cache\WDB\enUS\itemtextcache.wdb
@del cache\WDB\enUS\pagetextcache.wdb

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now, save the file and close the text editor.

Right click on the not even close to new file anymore; yet again and this time go to the SEND TO tab and then choose Desktop ( Create Shortcut)..

Once it is on the desktop you can change the name or add a fancy icon if you so desire.

Open the Cache folder and then minimize it.. Go to your desktop and double-click the shortcut. A window will pop up and likely only stay open for a short time.

Now restore the cache folder and verify the contents are empty..

If so, Congrats you now have a 1-Click Cache cleaner..

If something went wrong or the folder is not completely empty then you may need to adjust the directory commands since these are written for Win7.. Also you may have an add-on that also adds a file to the cache that I am not running.. If this is the case and you want to remove that file as well. . NO worries!! Simply go back to the ORIGINAL file in the directory and use the "edit" option again.. Add a new line to the bottom of the list exactly like you see them above and just add the name of the file you want removed.

(Example:
@del cache\WDB\enUS\YOURFILENAMEHERE.wdb )

Do this for as many files you need, or feel free to remove some if you don't want one deleted..

Hope this helps at least one person, because it was a lot of typing... Anyway, happy gaming and enjoy your day!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Thank you!

I've always just had the folder shortcut'd on my desktop and then delete creaturecache once in a while. Guess yours would be very useful if you were still doing the rare kill achievements. =)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I use a shorter version which clears the one cache I'm interested in (creaturecache.wdb) and then starts up WoW.

+++++++++++++

@echo off
del "W:\World of Warcraft\Cache\WDB\enUS\creaturecache.wdb"
start /normal "" "W:\World of Warcraft\Wow-64.exe"

+++++++++++++

The first line just disables output so you don't see the following commands being run. It also saves you from having to insert '@' at the beginning of each line, since it handles that from that point forward.

The second line deletes just the one cache responsible for rare mobs. The third line starts WoW (64-bit, in this case) at normal priority. Both of these lines use the full path to my specific copy of WoW, so be sure to change them if you use this.

The nice thing about this setup is that it will still open the launcher in the event of a patch or something, but otherwise just clears the cache and launches the game directly, bypassing that extra click.
Reply Quote
93 Tauren Druid
@del Cache\WDB\enUS\creaturecache.wdb
@del Cache\WDB\enUS\npccache.wdb
@del cache\WDB\enUS\gameobjectcache.wdb
@del cache\WDB\enUS\questcache.wdb
@del cache\WDB\enUS\wowcache.wdb
@del cache\WDB\enUS\itemtextcache.wdb
@del cache\WDB\enUS\pagetextcache.wdb

You only need to delete creaturecache.wdb. Deleting all the other stuff can cause all sorts of headaches (especially the itemtextcache.wdb)
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Mage
I use a slightly modified version of this batch script:
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info21602-WoWCacheClearer.html

I took out the first pause and changed the screenshot extension to .tga (to match my screenshot settings).
Reply Quote
Does Anyone know how to clear the cache for Windows 8? I cant seem to locate the file. I keep typing in the folder/file info and get no matches in search. I only have Launcher, downloader and patch options in my WoW folder. Please help. Q.Q
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Does Anyone know how to clear the cache for Windows 8? I cant seem to locate the file. I keep typing in the folder/file info and get no matches in search. I only have Launcher, downloader and patch options in my WoW folder. Please help. Q.Q

Chances are that your folders are in the Virtual User Store which is a hidden folder.

See: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14650
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]