Guild Alliances

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Now that's a feature I'd like to see, perhaps in the form of a tab in the guild info window. Both guilds would have to formally/mutually recognize one another (similar to realid) in order to form an alliance. It wouldn't do anything physical, just say "this guild stands with/is allied to this other guild". My guild has a few other guilds who we are affiliated with in one way or another, both on our server and off. Would be nice to be able to show that.

The only downsides of this I think would be guilds on very low-pop servers who have monopoly over their faction abusing the tag somehow. That and world-ranked guilds selling affiliation tags.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My question would be what benefit beyond the cosmetic would such a feature provide to make it worthwhile to implement?

Shared calendar invites/notices? Handy for multi-guild raid groups.

Limited access to shared bank tabs?

Shared group chat?

Counting guild-based achievements as group-based instead (or in addition to)?

Such things would be super handy for smaller guilds and/or RP-based groups; at least, I can think of applications for it that way. Also probably the mega-guilds with offshoots, or hardcore guilds who have leveling/feeder guilds associated with them, where alts and new members live until ready to join the main teams.

My own guild is really small, and affiliated with another; many players have characters in both guilds, but we stay separate for RP reasons (we're both among the oldest guilds remaining on our server too). We raid and RP together. We make use of both guild banks and we supply our raiders with craftables/enhancements as needed for overall team success. We use custom chat channels to communicate, as both guild chats are IC-only and restricted to members on the appropriate alt at the time (if I'm on my Meddler alts and someone in Dragoons needs my input for something, custom chats are handy).

If I could maintain my little RP guild's long-kept, independent name while having game mechanic benefits to being allied to the other guild (and there are one or two other tiny satellite RP groups our members work with too), then I would, but there would probably need to be some benefits and drawbacks to such a system to maintain guild independence while also promoting such alliances.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I'd think it would be sort of like a title is, just a cosmetic little bit of information which doesn't detract from anyone's gameplay but is a positive feature for many. It shouldn't be item based, just something to say "this here guild is my friend's guild, I support it".
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I love the idea of a guild alliance, I would really help with guilds trying to advance but can't find people
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
To be able to turn on and off a shared guild chat would be really nice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Fantastic idea! I would suggest a shared guild channel & calendar so people could socialize and plan together. I know many of us want to maintain our guild identity ... but after peeps have stopped playing it can become difficult to plan for raids and whatnot. We have unofficial alliances anyway so this would help to facilitate that.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/guild2guild
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I was once part of an ally guild on Perenolde who belonged to an alliance of guilds--Small Guild Alliance if I remember right. They had over 50 guilds in this alliance. The SMA had it's own website for signing up for interguild runs. You could only go on these runs after they received confirmation from your GM or authorized officer that you were cleared to go on those runs.

Poaching was strictly forbidden unless both guild leaders agreed. It was a badge of honor to be a guild in the SMA. It meant you had quality members. Anyone who was kicked out of an SMA guild was not allowed to join another. The other guilds wouldn't accept a kicked person.

I went on an interguild run. They were friendly, fun, and capable. I was impressed with the whole system.

In the past we have also partnered with guilds for raiding. We did create a chat channel for both guilds, and the healers had their own channel to pass instructions while a fight was explained on Vent. It worked really well.

I think guild partnerships have become more important than ever with the changes in the game. I came out here to see if anyone was talking about this. I'm interested in knowing how alliances were created and how they worked.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
"this here guild is my friend's guild, I support it".

We have a lot of this on Alexstrasza. To be honest, it would be very nice to have an in-game support feature for this.

Maybe some way to look at my guild, open it up and see alliances:
Zafirah
Entity
Contingency
The Odds Favor us
Kinetic

Doesnt mean anything in-game beyond people looking at my guild know which guilds they will probably be interacting with. Because lets face it, a lot of these 'alliances' happen because you pug in people, like them, associate with them....and continue to do so.

At the same time I can see, "Hey Khahan, why dont you list my guild on your alliance page?" constantly from people I just met or have no intention of interacting with in the future.

Depending on how this is implemented I would NOT want shared /gchat or calendar invites. If its only 2 guilds, those wouldn't be so bad. But imagine shared /gchat with 5 or 6 guilds? Or a calender with 6 guilds worth of raids? No thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Depending on how this is implemented I would NOT want shared /gchat or calendar invites. If its only 2 guilds, those wouldn't be so bad. But imagine shared /gchat with 5 or 6 guilds? Or a calender with 6 guilds worth of raids? No thank you.

If such an in-game feature were developed, perhaps individual features like shared gchat and calendar could be optional.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Now that's a feature I'd like to see, perhaps in the form of a tab in the guild info window. Both guilds would have to formally/mutually recognize one another (similar to realid) in order to form an alliance. It wouldn't do anything physical, just say "this guild stands with/is allied to this other guild". My guild has a few other guilds who we are affiliated with in one way or another, both on our server and off. Would be nice to be able to show that.

The only downsides of this I think would be guilds on very low-pop servers who have monopoly over their faction abusing the tag somehow. That and world-ranked guilds selling affiliation tags.

Thoughts?

I don't see the point really. Where would it even say that, and don't say above a characters head or I'll slap you. Yes 'slap' and not 'spank' like you like.

I think you should just transfer already. You know you wanna. All the cool kids are doing it. It'll make you feel good...good...good.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]