I am always the kill target.

90 Draenei Shaman
This is purely me lamenting to my sentry totem mourning brethren.

Fine. I'm the squishiest person on the team with the least defensive cooldowns. Nice, expected, whatever.

What I'm totally sick of is being unable to cast while trained. Ever. It feels like every class in the game has an interrupt, a silence, or a stun or cc that can play the role of the previous two, and they just stagger them against me to the point where I may as well unplug my monitor while playing. God help me if I happen to be interrupted during a cast of elemental blast, that might as well count as yet another full silence.

My entire bar goes black while silenced, my physically placed totems that has nearly no hp being tied to my being silenced or not is a bit too much I think.

Throwing capacitor totem is asking to be silenced so that I can't move it somewhere useful. Popping ascendance is begging to be silenced so that I'll be back to worthless in 10 seconds.

Will shamans ever be retooled to the survivability level of other classes? When do I get my 8 second immune to casts/physical damage buff? I was so excited about 5.2 due to the patch note that said something along the lines of diminishing returns for interrupts. What happened to that?

I really am getting sick of no matter what spec I am in, being the main target, even in non pre-made randoms, and having no "get out of death free" button like every other class seems to have.

Grass is always greener, blah blah whiner, etc. ._.

As soon as I get something else to 90 I'm parking this blueberry bullseye, at least until some anti-cc or silence comes into play. Maybe tying all stuns silence and cc to the same DR, you know, making them actually have tactical value, would be a great incentive to come back and play my blueberry again.

SPACE GOAT ;-;
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I'm no expert on Resto PVP, but shouldn't you have maybe Earthbind or Windwalk talented instead of Frozen Power? Try Glyph of Ghost Wolf.

Your PVP set bonuses should be helping you with interrupts, especially casted interrupts (Counterspell, opposing Wind Shears, etc), especially if/once you get juked casts down - you can eat a Counterspell with Grounding Totem and Spiritwalker's Grace will make you immune to silence/interrupts for 5 seconds.

Plus, you know.

You have Deep Healing.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
You are going to want to learn to fake cast and when to cast healing surges, resto shaman is fun in the regards that sure they may get you low... but you are not going to die. Just practice getting that right earthbind during their big cooldowns that perfect spiritwalkers grace heck even windwalk away into a capacitor totem... so many simple things it takes time till all you do is react and win :D
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I have found in PVP that Resto and Hpally are pretty easy to train down (unless VERY skilled).
I mean, theyre great healers, I used to be one, until getting cc'd beyond comprehension. Basically it just takes a CC or two followed by a burst to get a resto sham down. Where as it seems like MW and Rdruid never die.

Geared or not, when I am in twos, my first target is always the resto. If I start my burst and get my hex/cap/windshear off, then I can easily take rsham. They have great heals, but they don't seem to have enough defensives as the other healers. Unless you have a teamate run by you with a blinding light/fear, then its easy to train you down if mobbed.

Pseudocasting doesnt always work. Simply a stun or fear takes care of that, and you lost the small opportunity to actually get the cast off. I think its just easier to drop tide on yourself and sit ontop of your cap totem, and pray it goes off so you can pull a quick heal.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
As soon as I get something else to 90 I'm parking this blueberry bullseye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ3ul8Lv6eM
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I can't say without watching your games but in all probability your team is either out of position, not peeling or you are out of position and don't know how to juke. Really outside of that the only thing you need to know as resto is proper cooldown usage, when to hex and when to use efficient/non efficient heals.
Edited by Rapph on 5/2/2013 10:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
05/01/2013 10:02 PMPosted by Naqoyqatsi
you can eat a Counterspell with Grounding Totem
This is pure luck not skill. Counterspell is a instant cast spell so unless you can predict the future you can't count on that.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I have found in PVP that Resto and Hpally are pretty easy to train down (unless VERY skilled).
I mean, theyre great healers, I used to be one, until getting cc'd beyond comprehension. Basically it just takes a CC or two followed by a burst to get a resto sham down. Where as it seems like MW and Rdruid never die.

Geared or not, when I am in twos, my first target is always the resto. If I start my burst and get my hex/cap/windshear off, then I can easily take rsham. They have great heals, but they don't seem to have enough defensives as the other healers. Unless you have a teamate run by you with a blinding light/fear, then its easy to train you down if mobbed.

Pseudocasting doesnt always work. Simply a stun or fear takes care of that, and you lost the small opportunity to actually get the cast off. I think its just easier to drop tide on yourself and sit ontop of your cap totem, and pray it goes off so you can pull a quick heal.

05/02/2013 10:21 AMPosted by Shamantra
you can eat a Counterspell with Grounding Totem
This is pure luck not skill. Counterspell is a instant cast spell so unless you can predict the future you can't count on that.

These seem to sum up my experience well. If I attempt to ground a silence, even if I do know it's coming, the totem is almost always blown on some throwaway spell that's being spammed by one of 30 imps, water elementals, or just a trash cast from a dk or other player. Even on some stuff where there's a castbar, like an enemy hex, I've seen grounding plop down next to me while I'm frogged -_- Very annoying. Guess that's lag or something though.

I try to juke when I can, and it's very doable vs one enemy most of the time (juke a dk or a belf and you still have to eat a silence normally) but with multiple enemies....Health is simply dropping too fast. Even successfully juking, all I've managed to do is still interrupt my heal FOR them. Plus, they normally will still have some kinda silence waiting in the wings for my real cast.

It still comes down to when enemies see me, they don't even need to call to jump me. Everyone knows to jump the shaman O_o In rateds I will normally have 5-6 on me at once, nothing my team can do can assuage that level of incoming damage. Especially since it's their job to be putting pressure on an enemy healer, they can't -all- peel for me. It simply isn't feasible most times.

My other healers do try to keep me up, to little effect. I've been beat to death through pain suppression, healing tide and nature's guardian; no switch required. That's a hell of a lot of effective HP being snuffed out. It's ugly.

I think I'm gonna make a resto shaman mod where anytime I engage in combat my surroundings turn into a dark alley, and each hit makes my lunch money fly out ._.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I still think you must be doing something incorrectly because Restoration is practically made for PVP with Mastery: Deep Healing. Do you know how to block line of sight so no one can hit you?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
The principle of the matter is that the Shaman class is not easy to play. What the OP has stated is nothing knew that hasn't been said before over the past expansions. If the game is being dumbed down like people like to say then the Shaman class was forgotten by Blizzard.

Game mechanics like LoS is almost none existent for the benefit of range and to a lesser extent AoE's. The problem I have with fake casting is that theirs too many interrupts and CC's in game to stop a cast. On top of it, I've never ever been good at fake casting against more then 1 attacker and that's very rare circumstance.

So yes, the OP is very correct in feeling discriminated against as being the primary target in PvP. Most players will admit the Shaman class is the default knock around guy to take out first. Note that Blizzard hasn't admitted to it - it's challenging to play.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Shamans could really use the Mage's Ice Block, forcing people to change the target. But nothing more.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Shamans could really use the Mage's Ice Block, forcing people to change the target. But nothing more.

Yeah, they could get enveloped by a giant boulder from the earth or something, like in Avatar: The Last Airbender.

They can change it from iceblock by having it heal the shaman over time instead of dispelling everything.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
The heals had to be very high to out do damage from a dot class and that'd be too overpowered. A simple full cleanse is awesome
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
I have to say, you are always the kill target for a reason : lack of defensive skills. There is no downside when you focus fire the shaman. In arenas, unless they are restos, they are almost free kills. If there is 1 class in the entire game that needs a good survivability buff, that class is the shaman.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Is it just me or shamans the only class that actually casts anymore and having said that there long and easy to interrupt.
Reply Quote
I'm happy to see this thread. I thought I was missing something in BGs seeing as how I'm getting demolished day in and out. Other classes always seem to go on about how great resto shaman is in PVP, but I've yet to discover why
Reply Quote
I'm so glad the rogue agreed. I played 2's the other days resto at like 1600 mmr(feels like gladiator level now) and was helping a boomkin cap. Played against enhance/rogue and I got destroyed. I come out stealth end from symbiosis, rogue saps me, enhances turns to me, rogue opens with garrote and pops cooldowns as well as the enhance. I trinket the silence(I'm at 30%), pop ascendance swg, and ns greater healing wave. Then kidneyed and died. Literally 2 globals before dying. What was I supposed to do? The boomkin elitist nerd raged and left team.
Reply Quote
^ typing on IPhone= sound like a renob
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I'm so glad the rogue agreed. I played 2's the other days resto at like 1600 mmr(feels like gladiator level now) and was helping a boomkin cap. Played against enhance/rogue and I got destroyed. I come out stealth end from symbiosis, rogue saps me, enhances turns to me, rogue opens with garrote and pops cooldowns as well as the enhance. I trinket the silence(I'm at 30%), pop ascendance swg, and ns greater healing wave. Then kidneyed and died. Literally 2 globals before dying. What was I supposed to do? The boomkin elitist nerd raged and left team.

That's definitely a tough situation to be in. But I would have handled it a little bit differently.
First thing, against this comp I would take Astral Shift, as you know the rogue will open with garrote you can hit astral shift while silenced and you wont have to trinket. Then I'd get the boomkin to make sure he's close and drop Spirit Link + Healing Tide. This coupled with the boomkin's heart of the wild healing, and you should be able to survive whatever early burst that enh shaman has. Once his burst is over he's very weak.

Ofcourse you should trinket a cc and activate ascendance + swg once you feel it necessary.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Also. Since they are both melee, its wise to drop a capacitor totem once possible for some self peels.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]