Heart of the Wild - Passive

90 Night Elf Druid
As it stands, this talent is designed to allow Druids to be less useless at another spec than their primary spec for 45 seconds every 6 minutes. Even if the stats are boosted to match their current effectiveness in their current spec, the Druid still does not have access to the special abilities of another spec. This leaves Heart of the Wild as little more than an infrequent novelty, and at best a rarely used situational bonus.

The intention of Heart of the Wild was to allow Druids to do what they should have been able to do all along - perform all roles less effectively than any pure class. This has time and again been the justification for Druids not being among the top DPS, Tanking, or Healing classes due to performance or utility. The Druid class was intended to be the situational class and its utility was simply being able to perform the other roles, but the Cataclysm changes forced Druids into one of the three roles, leaving us unable to effectively perform the other roles in a pinch.

Heart of the Wild is a step in that direction, but this needs to be a passive effect. I'd prefer that this was simply a Level dependent effect earned at level 10, but am willing to settle for this being a Passive Talent, despite the fact that this ability makes a lousy Talent choice for the above stated reasons.

For those who would argue, "Why would you want this?" I have a simple answer. This is why I chose Druid over a pure class. I'd rather have an array of tools to react to my circumstances than have one set of tools that perform optimally in a limited way. If I wanted a direct play style that was as efficient as possible, I would have rolled something else. Turning Heart of the Wild into a Passive would give those of us who prefer this play style the option to engage in it. Doing this would not force anyone to engage in this play style. Currently, my Druid that I've had since vanilla is nothing more than a farming tool. Cata removed my interest in seriously playing him by pigeon holing the class into one of the spec builds. While there are plenty of Druids out there who love playing their class, I'm not one, and I know many other players who feel the same about their Druids. We really do need this option.
Edited by Vonhase on 5/2/2013 4:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
If I could have HotW and NV that'd be pretty funny.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
If you think any druid specc is underpreforming then you're wrong. There's never a justification to be the top healer/tank/dps at any time. This goes for all speccs. Why do you need to be top dps? To kill a boss faster? Implying skill doesn't play a factor in this game? While your opinion differs from my own, HOTW was never meant to make you "just as good" as another specc. It's fills in the gap for a short duration, nothing more. Besides, this is a TBC mindset in which you have mana batteries or buff groups. That design is long gone.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
05/02/2013 07:39 AMPosted by Cyous
Why do you need to be top dps?

I want to be the very best
Edited by Jathaz on 5/2/2013 7:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I want to be the very best

Live no one ever was.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Live no one ever was.

*dun dun dunnnnn*
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
*dun dun dunnnnn*

To catch them is my real test
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
05/02/2013 04:42 AMPosted by Vonhase
For those who would argue, "Why would you want this?" I have a simple answer. This is why I chose Druid over a pure class. I'd rather have an array of tools to react to my circumstances than have one set of tools that perform optimally in a limited way. If I wanted a direct play style that was as efficient as possible, I would have rolled something else.

Well, I'm sorry to burst your bubble but due to balancing issues they have abandoned this long ago. Just not happening.

As it stands, this talent is designed to allow Druids to be less useless at another spec than their primary spec for 45 seconds every 6 minutes.

I wouldn't call it 'less useless'.

I would call this 40 seconds of healing 'extremely useful' (40 seconds of HotW healing while tank spec'ed at the end of heroic Council):

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-dlndjjz7q9cods1u/sum/healingDone/?s=10997&e=11038
Edited by Dysheki on 5/2/2013 9:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The intention of Heart of the Wild was to allow Druids to do what they should have been able to do all along - perform all roles less effectively than any pure class.

You assume that's the intention and you're wrong. Clearly the intention is to temporarily perform a non-spec role with increased effectiveness for a short period of time.

Examples would be:
Feral using balance spells to attack an enemy that is staying out of melee range.
Balance, Feral and Guardian off-healing in an emergency or burst damage.
Guardians doing some burst damage when they don't need to maintain threat.
Resto doing burst damage while healing isn't needed or the rest of the healing team can cover it.
All specs can use it to perform burst damage when the boss is taking increased damage.

Heart of the Wild is a step in that direction, but this needs to be a passive effect. I'd prefer that this was simply a Level dependent effect earned at level 10, but am willing to settle for this being a Passive Talent, despite the fact that this ability makes a lousy Talent choice for the above stated reasons

The passives already exist. Killer Instinct (Balance and Resto) and Nurturing Instinct (Guardian and Feral) let druids to perform all roles with reduced effectiveness without changing spec or gear. Both of those passives were added in Patch 5.0.4 when the new talent system was introduced.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
05/02/2013 08:52 AMPosted by Malahierba
*dun dun dunnnnn*

To train them is my cause
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
hotw is far from useless to a tank/healer, any fight where prepot/lust is used its amazing to dps, I've peaked at 350k dps on fights like durumu during the opening phase and for dps its not bad, on heroic will I healed the first 45 seconds of the fight just so our healers wouldn't waste mana while sitting arounding pretty much doing nothing.

not to mention hotw tranq is pretty over powered as far as raid CDs go, last I checked it heals for more than divine hyme.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
05/02/2013 09:23 AMPosted by Anàkou

I will travel across the land
Reply Quote
95 Troll Druid

Searching far and wide
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

Searching far and wide

Each Pokemon to understand
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
If you think HotW is a lacking talent you are mistaken. It is a very clutch spell that has saved us many times. If druids go the way that the OP wants them to why would anyone want to bring a druid to a raid? If they need a dps why wouldn't they bring someone who can do full dps? If they need a healer why not someone who can do full healing? If druids can do everything at once and do them all only halfway druids would go extinct in every raid.
Reply Quote
95 Tauren Druid
HotW is an awesome talent.
DoC, on the other hand...
Searching far and wide

The power that's inside
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
DoC, on the other hand...

Is great for PvE Feral and terrible for everyone else.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I like HoTW as is. It provides an emergency raid heal once per boss and has proven itself time and again.

Shouldn't it be "battle pet"?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
we havent really been hybrids since tbc, if not vanilla

the problem of jack of all trades, master of none is exactly what the phrase implies. it meant we never had competitive dps or healing ( i never tanked ill withhold comment). this made it hard in both pve and pvp.

so they wanted us more specialized. this allowed them to make us on par dps and heals since we sacrificed the other roll. which is fine imo.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
If you think any druid specc is under preforming then you're wrong. There's never a justification to be the top healer/tank/dps at any time. This goes for all speccs. Why do you need to be top dps? To kill a boss faster? Implying skill doesn't play a factor in this game? While your opinion differs from my own, HOTW was never meant to make you "just as good" as another specc. It's fills in the gap for a short duration, nothing more. Besides, this is a TBC mindset in which you have mana batteries or buff groups. That design is long gone.
This point, I would disagree with. At any time? That is a lack of understanding of ability, it would mean that druid had no specific strength to play to. I would say that any class that is the top ALL the time is a problem, but classes should each have ability that makes them top at any specific given time.

I am still personally of the opinion that HotW is a fundamentally flawed talent, and one whos active effect WOULD make a good candidate for a baseline ability. That said, the near universal unpleasantness of DoC for non-feral *robots* should be addressed first (because HotW works right now, even if it does not do everything that people wish).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]