How to Fix Affliction Warlocks (PvP)

90 Blood Elf Priest
First note: I'm a shadow priest, pretty unbiased here.

To start things off, everyone and their mothers acknowledge that affliction locks are hurting right now and something needs to change. I've decided to lay out a few viable options to put them back on track.

1.) Increase DoT damage by a flat 30%.
- To compensate, Malefic Grasp damage would be reduced by 30% (to prevent PvE overkill)
- Damage from dispelling UA would be reduced by 40% (to prevent instant gibs on top of hard hitting dots).

2.) Make Malefic Grasp Uninterruptable
- Allows the warlock to have weak hitting dots, hard hitting dispels, and a hard hitting channeled spell.

3.) Make Malefic Grasp Do All Its Damage Following a Full Channel
-Allows for some nice burst set up...after you finish channeling it, all the damage it would normally do over the casted time would be dealt upon completion.

4.) Combine Malefic Grasp and Drain Health into One Spell
-Increase to survivability

5.) Revert Haunt to Cata Conditions
- 8 second cooldown, does not require soulshards, returns health to the caster following its duration completion. Soulshards are now exclusive to soulburn. Allows DoTs to hit harder, but requires some set up.

Just some thoughts to throw around...personally, I think combining a mixture of suggestion #1 and #5 would be optimal.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Souburn Drain Life should not be channeled.

It should turn into a DoT so UA has a decent survival ability like destro.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
APD
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. THIRTY PERCENT? How about 150%?

- Allows the warlock to have weak hitting dots, hard hitting dispels, and a hard hitting channeled spell.
Then there will be nothing for people to interrupt except UA.

3.) Make Malefic Grasp Do All Its Damage Following a Full Channel
This would fit better on Drain Soul, definitely not MG after you just made it uninterruptable AND it can already shoot through walls.

If you use Glyph of Siphon, then your forced corruption ticks from MG will cause a heal. I'm hoping they make it a .5% heal like I heard about before.

5.) Revert Haunt to Cata Conditions
Maybe not exactly this.. But honestly, anything is better than what it is now.

I think what needs to happen is Malefic Grasp's damage needs to be reduced down to about how much an extra DoT would tick for (after you buffed the damage by 150%, of course!)
Edited by Ímbad on 4/27/2013 9:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

That might be OP, the only other thing to interrupt would be UA and haunt.

-Increase to survivability

Well, since MG causes an extra tic, the set bonus would mean you'd be getting back 1% health per second, or faster depending on your haste.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
- To compensate, Malefic Grasp damage would be reduced by 30% (to prevent PvE overkill)
- Damage from dispelling UA would be reduced by 40% (to prevent instant gibs on top of hard hitting dots).

It's doubtful this will ever happen. Moving MG damage to DoT damage would buff warlock passive damage. Not only would this make multi-DoTing gross (and we just got our multi-dotting nerfed), but you also allow players to be less interactive and still pull high numbers. Basically, you make affliction into a much more forgiving spec.

It's like how rogues were in TBC. 60% of their damage was white damage. Auto-attack, keep SnD up = topped the meters. Didn't really matter if you could use CPs effectively or just half assed it. If you kept SnD up you won.
Edited by Varlth on 4/28/2013 1:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
1. Increase DoT damage by 150%, decrease MG damage accordingly

2. Instant Cast MG Procs from Agony Ticks

3. Corruption heals the Lock for X% max health per tick, up to 3 targets.

4. Soul Burn:Drain Life is instant cast and heals for a decent amount. Sacrificing major damage should yield major results.

5. Shadow Lockout is an issue, as it effectively silences us for the duration. MG could be Chaos Damage, perhaps.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
APD
5. Shadow Lockout is an issue, as it effectively silences us for the duration. MG could be Chaos Damage, perhaps.
It's supposed to be an issue. You should be compelled to avoid them, not just say oh well and continue casting something else.
Edited by Ímbad on 4/28/2013 2:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
04/28/2013 02:09 PMPosted by Ímbad
It's supposed to be an issue. You should be compelled to avoid them, not just say oh well and continue casting something else.
not really. all classes have abilities to use when spelllockd out of their main spell. i think aff only has felflame, and it's not that much of a stand alone ability.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

Every other spec in the game has multiple magic schools to change to when they get locked out of their main. SPriests have Holy, Fire Mages have Frost/Arcane, etc.

Afflic is entirely Shadow based, even the CC and Defensive abilities. Imagine if every lockout was a full silence, because that is what it basically is for Afflic. Afflic's only non-shadow spells are Fel Flame and Rain of Fire.
Edited by Methalos on 4/28/2013 5:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I think there is a simple fix for affliction's state in PvP for MoP. Our dot damage actually isn't bad (I usually pull top dps in every arena and almost every bg). However, I've noticed a major issue in the new Agony stacking system. Agony with its full 10 stacks can produce more damage than UA in some cases, but the problem is that the new dispel system for healers (where every dot is dispelled in one dispel cast) destroys Agony's chance to build its momentum, especially in arena. By the time we recast it and the 10 stacks are up again, the healer has another dispel ready. Yes, dispelling with UA hurts our opponent pretty bad, but it also affects our damage in a huge way. I think the solution to a big part of affliction's issues is to simply return Agony to being Curse of Agony where stacks have been removed and the dot does steady, heavy damage (like how it was in Cata). Even with the new all-in-one dispel crap that healers have, redotting would easy because we have soulburn soul swap or we can just cast our two instant dots and fast cast UA with the new cast-time glyph and our damage would resume with almost no interruption. Hopefully this makes sense, it was just something that I noticed.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
"return Agony to being Curse of Agony where stacks have been removed and the dot does steady, heavy damage"

Agony, or curse of agony if you prefer. Has always functioned like this, even back in BC when i started playing. It's damaging always increassed over time. Its just that in MoP, blizzard added a visual to let you know how much damage it's doing
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Honestly. I don't think affliction is underpowered at all. If you know how to play it, you can put out tons of damage, and survive. You're all obviously just doing something wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Here's another option. Hell, I just feel like reworking affliction bcause I've got time to burn, so here goes:

Dots
  • Damage of Corruption and Unstable Affliction increased significantly. (To make up for what I'm about to say about Agony)
  • Agony: Redesigned. No longer ramps up. May only affect one target at a time. Inherits Malefic Grasp's "dot booster" effect to boost Corruption and Unstable Affliction.
  • Remove soul swap (yeah, I said it!)
  • New spell - Defile: (or whatever) Consumes 1 soul shard to infect the target with corruption, unstable affliction, and (if not present on a target already) agony. One button to use it for what we mostly do with soul swap now, but without the clunk or macros.
  • Soulburn - Corruption: Infects all targets within 15-20 yards of the target with corruption.

Direct Damage & Filler
  • As mentioned above, malefic grasp no longer boosts dot damage. Here's something else to make it stand out: Now a fire-school spell. Costs 2% mana per cast. No channel fee (admit it, that's a stupid mechanic, anyway) Each tick generates charges to a buff--let's call it "Soul Power." (See "Life Tap" below) Additionally, the warlock may cast curse spells and haunt on the (same) target without breaking the channel. Haunts cast in this manner are instant, kind of like how mistweaver spells work.
  • Drain Soul: Now deals high damage per tick regardless of target's health. The catch is that this damage is reduced significantly for each dot the warlock has on the target if the target is above 20% health. Haunt may be cast (instantly) while channeling drain soul, but not curses) If the target is at or below 20%, dots won't reduce the damage. Killing a target with drain soul replenishes soul shards, 10% health, 20% mana, and resets Haunt's charges to maximum. (See haunt below for more details) This gives affliction a sorely-need mindspike-like ability and lets it still keep its role as an execute.
  • Haunt: Deals solid damage to a target and places a 20% damage debuff on that target (instead of 30%, ffs) which lasts for 8 seconds or until dispelled. May only affect one target at a time. When the duration expires, haunt is dispelled, the target dies, or haunt is cast again, it returns to the caster to replenish roughly 10% of the caster's health and a soul shard. This allows it to be used as a burst ability, steady damage booster, or emergency self-healing. It also becomes the soul shard replenishment mechanic.
  • New Spell - Twilight Fire: Costs 20% maximum mana. 1.5 second cast. 30 second cooldown. Deals heavy fire damage over 5 seconds to the target and any enemy within 5 yards of that target. Those targets also have their movement speed reduced by 50% for 5 seconds as well. (separate debuffs....druid shifting and all) This effect is not dispellable. When nightfall procs occur (from corruption ticks as now), the cooldown of Twilight Fire is reset. Twilight Fire always critically strikes, costs no mana, and becomes instant if cast within 5 seconds of nightfall. Replaces soul fire.

Area of Effect
  • Seed of Corruption: Redesigned. Embeds a seed of corruption in the target that radiates damage every 2 seconds to any target within 15 yards for 18 seconds. May only be active on one target at a time. Mutually exclusive with Agony. If the target dies before Seed of Corruption deals damage, it jumps to another nearby enemy, using its remaining duration from the previous target.
  • Glyph of Seed of Corruption: Your seed of corruption gains a 5 second cooldown, is now castable on an area, and creates a void zone with a 15 yard radius which lasts for 18 seconds. Damage remains unchanged.
  • Soulburn: Corruption: Infects every enemy within 15 yards of the target with corruption.
  • New spell - Black Harvest: Basically harvest life, only without the healing effect and as an intended affliction aoe channeled filler. Hurray!

Soulburn
  • Lasts until cancelled or a soulburnable ability used. Does not consume a soul shard until a soulburnable ability is used.

Life Tap
  • Malefic Grasp ticks generate charges of a buff, Soul Power, which lasts for 2 minutes and stacks up to a maximum of 20. Up to 10 charges of Soul Power can be consumed when the warlock uses Life Tap to reduce the health cost by up to 100%.

Reasoning:
  • Single Target: So basically, boosting corruption and unstable affliction's damage makes up for the fact that agony is now one-target-only. Agony with the "dot booster" lets us keep multi-dotting from becoming OP, but isn't as punishing during heavy movement and doesn't make Kil'Jaeden's Cunning feel mandatory. Drain Soul's mechanic allows it to be either a "mind spike" (for when dots are silly to use) or the execute it is now. Malefic Grasp's generation of Soul Power for Life Tap stops healers from having to carry our mana pools. Haunt is now unchained from our soul shards (freeing them up for utility spells), feels more like the classic version, yet still maintains the modern option to be "fired off in bursts" or "saved for solid dps." Twilight Fire gives us something to make Nightfall feel exciting and rewarding again. Allowing Haunt and curses to be fired off during certain channeled spells makes everything feel more streamlined, so you're not cutting off channels as much.
  • Area of Effect: Current Seed of Corruption blows. We all know it. This new version, combined with soulburn: corruption and an aoe channeled filler should be much more interesting and engaging to play with.
  • Wasted soulburns (due to double taps or not using it in time) suck. This way, we can ready soulburns ahead of time, not worry about double-taps wasting 2 shards, and nothing is spent until the soulburned spell itself is used. Win-win-win.

So yeah, just killing time. I like to come up with random !@#$ like this, even though I know few people actually read or even agree with it. Hate away. ;)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Honestly. I don't think affliction is underpowered at all. If you know how to play it, you can put out tons of damage, and survive. You're all obviously just doing something wrong.

I wouldn't say it's not underpowered. Given i do have 470 ilvl weaps and this is my 2nd week being 90 and first time ever playing Lock. I do think we need a slight Dps increase to our Dot's Besides haunt. I hope the new 4 piece actually make's a difference in Ua damage for 5.3
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

Fire-lock a Destro or Demo warlock.
He can still Fear/Horror, Shadowfury, Coil, Regen, Drain/Harvest, Banish, Dark Bargin, Sac, Summon a new pet, drop a portal, create a healthstone...

Shadow-lock an Aff warlock.
He can... spit phlegm? Drop confetti sparks?

Maybe aff locks can get back Immolate + Corr like it used to be. Moar DoTs.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
05/02/2013 03:23 AMPosted by Strauss

Fire-lock a Destro or Demo warlock.
He can still Fear/Horror, Shadowfury, Coil, Regen, Drain/Harvest, Banish, Dark Bargin, Sac, Summon a new pet, drop a portal, create a healthstone...

Shadow-lock an Aff warlock.
He can... spit phlegm? Drop confetti sparks?

Maybe aff locks can get back Immolate + Corr like it used to be. Moar DoTs.

I think that MG being Chaos would help out with the Shadow Lockout
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I like MG Chaos idea. Hopefully dots will already be on target so you can continue damage, even if it's fire, you get to ramp up.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I wouldn't say it's not underpowered. Given i do have 470 ilvl weaps and this is my 2nd week being 90 and first time ever playing Lock. I do think we need a slight Dps increase to our Dot's Besides haunt. I hope the new 4 piece actually make's a difference in Ua damage for 5.3

Friend, you sound extremely under geared, if all you're asking for is a "slight" dps increase. I don't think anyone else should be complaining about affliction
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]