Achievement Point Issues - VERY In-Depth Look

(Locked)

90 Tauren Monk
This thread's information is still up-to-date, even if some of the links are broken. It will be revised in the near future, unless the devs finally fix these issues.

Updated: 11/4/2013 - Fixed some broken links, still needs revision.

This is very long and very detailed. You have been warned.
The most important point out of all of these is Observation 4.

Though there are several threads on the topic, they all seem to go off in their own direction and none of which really seem to take a deeper look into the problem. Though I have posted about it in several of these threads, I finally stopped to examine it more in-depth and these are my observations. Hopefully this will narrow the problem down some more, and hopefully get a blue response on this ongoing problem PLEASE.

Note: All of these are based on my own investigations between characters of various realms and both factions on my two accounts under the same Battle.Net. Others who are having this issue should take a closer look as well and add your findings here.

Observation 1 - Achievement point totals, as well as total achievements completed, are not equal between Live and the Armory. This inconsistency appears to have arisen since the release of Patch 5.2.

Though obviously this is the actual issue, I wanted to reiterate that point. BOTH achievement POINTS and achievement COUNT are, in my case anyway, incorrect.

At the time of this writing, these are my totals for this character, Mulvark on Wyrmrest Accord. Underlined sections will include a number in brackets which is equal to the armory's incorrect value.

-Achievement Points: 16,345 (16265) ~Missing 80 Points
-Achievement Total: 1542/1937 (1534/1937) ~Missing 8 Achievements
-General: 69/72 (68/72) ~Missing 1 (BUT THE ARMORY DATA IS CORRECT, I'll explain why in the next section.)
-Exploration: 114/117
-Dungeons & Raids: 587/726
-Professions: 138/201
-World Events: 165/175
-Quests: 172/196 (167/196) ~Missing 5
-Player vs. Player: 148/252 (145/252) ~Missing 3
-Scenarios: 32/42
-Pet Battles: 64/84

*Note: My math was not incorrect, nor were my numbers. I double-triple checked. Armory's achievement total value is incorrect compared to live, however it is also incorrect compared to its own data. I am actually missing out on 9 achievements according to individual sections, but this is because there is a value on Live that is not correct. The next section will explain further.

Observation 2 - Achievements can go missing from the armory, possibly because of doing achievements out of order. Achievement chains that go from Indivudally tracked to Account-wide tracked appear to be the blame, and can cause Live to register 'ghost' achievements.

Take a look at my General achievement tab. It's missing something, isn't it? Got My Mind On My Money flat out does not exist in my achievement list. Though I have no idea how long that has been the case, I noticed it only after I earned my first Account-Level stage of this achievement, which I earned before finishing other individually tracked ones.

Here is a breakdown of this achievement.
Stage 1: 100g (Complete!)
Stage 2: 1000g (Complete!)
Stage 3: 5000g (Complete!)
Stage 4: 10000g (Complete!)
Stage 5: 25000g (Complete!)
Stage 6: 50000g (Incomplete)
Stage 7: 100000g [Account-wide] (Complete!)
Stage 8: 200000g [Account-wide] (Incomplete)

On Live, while it says I have only 3 achievements to earn in General, it clearly displays 4. I'm missing the 2 achievements that are visible on the armory, as well as two achievements that are in this achievement chain. The armory data is accurate in that I am missing 4 achievements in the General tab, but keep in mind that it is not displaying these achievements at all.

I'm going to assume based on the other numbers shown in Observation 1 that I am not, however, receiving achievement point credit on Live for the ghost achievement.

Observation 3 - Contrary to what Observation 2 might lead you to believe, not all chains with account-wide stages later on experience the same problem.

Let's again take a closer look at my achievement totals, this time look at Dungeons & Raids. I'm missing something - the Valor Point achievements. Much like what you saw with Got My Mind On My Money in O2, a similar problem occurs here.

Once again, we're going to break down the Valor Point achievement.

Stage 1: 1000 Valor (Complete!)
Stage 2: 5000 Valor (Complete!)
Stage 3: 25000 Valor (Incomplete)
Stage 4: 50000 Valor (Incomplete)
Stage 5: 100000 Valor [Account-Wide] (Complete!)

The interesting thing to note here is that both Live and the armory data is correct. The total number of achievements in this section I need to complete are the same between Live and the Armory, and the Live game does not incorrectly grant me ghost credit for these two incomplete achievements. The only issue with this specific example is that the achievements are not displaying on the armory.

Observation 4 - This is a very important one. Achievements are updating dynamically, as intended.

I've frequently seen it mentioned, even brought up once by a blue a while back (if I remember correctly), that the issue is most likely due to the way the armory stores data and updates, and sometimes things can just fall off and never properly update until the character relogs and forces another update.

This is absolutely not the case, and I am 110% certain of it, without the slightest doubt in my mind. I can't make it any clearer, this is not a problem caused by the armory displaying outdated data or not dynamically updating achievement points. Armory data is up-to-date, it's just wrong. Period. (Remember, I'm talking armory, not forum portrait.)

This is why.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/nathrezim/Fists/achievement
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/Motak/achievement (Second account, same Bnet)

The above links may no longer function, this will get repaired soon.

The first is a character of mine on my main account, that I have not logged into since 5.2 released. The second is a character from my second account (under the same battle.net). Every single thing shown there is correct, the only issue is what you saw in O2 and O3, achievements disappeared. They're still properly accounted for, however.

The achievement point total is correct.
The achievement total is correct.
Each individual section is correct.
No achievement is incorrectly credited for.
And no achievement is not properly accounted for.

These characters, which have not been logged into for several months, are showing values that are consistent with Live (except for the ghost achievement Live is displaying for GMMOMM, which is not a problem with the armory).

Notice that even their activity feed is updating with progress I'm making on other characters.

Now, here is a link to a handful of my alts that I have played since 5.2. Some might not be played for a while. Notice, however, that all of the armory's achievement point data will be consistent with each other, but inaccurate nonetheless. Activity feed can, again, verify that it's being dynamically tracked.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/Kodohoof/achievement
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/Korgren/achievement
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/moon-guard/Kronosh/achievement
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Nathrezim/Zulxin/achievement

Observation 5 - Certain achievements are losing credit across factions.

While I certainly understand a slight difference between Alliance and Horde just due to faction-specific achievements, there are numerous ones that are properly credited for on Live... but the armory disagrees.

Here's a comparison between this character's armory, and my Alliance mage's. Look at the difference in Achievement Points - its HUGE.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/Mulvark/simple
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/moon-guard/Rhykes/simple

On Live, Rhykes has 16320 Achievement Points and 1541 Achievements. Mulvark has 16345 and 1542 Achievements. I'm missing a few points somewhere though I just haven't figured out where - I expected that to be the case due to faction specific achievements.

That being said, Rhykes is missing a HUGE amount from live, many of which are Quest achievements. Because I'm a Loremaster, I should have all of the zone achievements completed. I'm not going to go into too much detail about what achievements appear to be affected, as the problem as a whole seems to be on a much greater scale for some more than others, and more than just the quest section is affected. There may be a pattern, or it may be somewhat random.

I know for certain that Horde Side I'm not being credited for Mighty Roamin' Krasaranger, Rally the Valley, or Upjade Complete which I completed all on Rhykes. On the other hand, I saw a few Eastern Kingdoms achievements, such as Redridge Quests and Dustwallow Quests that Rhykes did not have credit for. While it is true that I never completed them (to my knowledge), I did complete the Horde equivalents and therefore they appear complete on Live; much like my Horde toons are able to see completion for the 3 Pandaria quest achievements I linked.

--

After spending several hours trying to figure this mess out... needless to say I'm a bit exhausted. I'm hoping this information was helpful in trying to figure out the issue, and I encourage anyone else who may be having these problems to take a closer look at your achievements and post your findings below.

I know many of us want this fixed... I know I certainly do.
Edited by Korkol on 11/4/2013 7:47 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Wow, they deleted the original thread "Achievement Points Error: Horde vs. Alliance". WHY? Several unique posts by people who have experienced the issue described above, and now it's gone. What's the point of having a place for us to report bugs if useful threads with posts detailing the problem are deleted...
90 Tauren Monk
Wow, they deleted the original thread "Achievement Points Error: Horde vs. Alliance". WHY? Several unique posts by people who have experienced the issue described above, and now it's gone. What's the point of having a place for us to report bugs if useful threads with posts detailing the problem are deleted...

Good to know, I'll be sure to make a backup.
Edited by Korkol on 8/13/2013 11:24 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Hunter
At the time of this post, my in-game achievement score is 16900, and yet the character webpage says 14760. It stopped being correct at 5.2. I didn't do an exhaustive analysis like Korkol above, but certainly any achievement related to mounts and pets are just gone.

I'm just thankful my banking institution developers don't have these issues.

Crysto!
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Very disappointed this issue wasn't able to be fixed with the release of 5.3, considering this problem only occurred on the same day 5.2 was released (could've been a coincidence though I suppose). Still, the known issues hasn't been updated to reflect this particular issue with achievements - them not matching in game and here has been there for quite a while but I believe this is a new issue as of 5.2
90 Tauren Druid
I've had the same issue since 5.2 released. My "main" chartacter shows about 2000 less points than my alts. Achievement progress and total seems correct in game but not the Armory. The most glaring example is my Pet Battle catagory shows ZERO achievements on my "main" while alts have points accured, even on toons I've not pet battled with as of yet.
43 Pandaren Monk
I know that I had an issue with my achievement points because in game had the option checked to only view achievements for this character in the armory. I don't know if that is this issue or will help but it did seem to correct it for me.
90 Draenei Mage
This is an issue that has annoyed me for a long time, i.e. the in-game achievement reporting doesn't match the armory reporting. Since the issue is now what I consider a long-standing one, my solution has been to stop worrying about it because this is obviously a low-priority fix on Blizzard's To-Do List.

One symptom of the armory display issues can be seen here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/blades-edge/Sufia/achievement#155:158:a284

Sufia, individually, completed this achievement as did many of my other alts. But note that not all of the sub-achievements have the green checkmark. Why not?

Because other characters got the non-checked masks before Sufia did? Why would that matter? In-game accounting shows all of them checked.

Or is it because those are JUST the masks she looted this year? How is that information helpful to me?
90 Tauren Monk
The issue definitely still persists, although the original post is somewhat dated with the links. (Characters have gone inactive in the armory, I've done a few character services, etc). Hell, originally I posted that on an Orc monk, but I've been Mulvark for a long time now.

So far, all of my points highlighted there are still true. Achievement points are STILL updating, they're just wrong. I've noticed several other inconsistencies however - especially between the factions - and I intend to update the original thread soon.

This is really annoying. Really annoying. And we've spelled out the problems countless times, in different threads.

Why is this not fixed?

I've had the same issue since 5.2 released. My "main" chartacter shows about 2000 less points than my alts. Achievement progress and total seems correct in game but not the Armory. The most glaring example is my Pet Battle catagory shows ZERO achievements on my "main" while alts have points accured, even on toons I've not pet battled with as of yet.

I took a closer look at your armory, and it would seem that you might have the "Display Only Character Achievements to Others" option checked. As Pet Battles are comprised of exclusively account-wide achievements (and you seem to lack every single account-wide achievement), that is a sign that this option is enabled.

You even have 55k Honorable Kills on that character alone, the Account-wide achievement for 25k kills shows a full count, but you do not have it because it Account-Wide.

If you disable this option (Interface -> Display), that should fix it. If it's already off, try enabling it, relogging, and disabling it again.

This is an issue that has annoyed me for a long time, i.e. the in-game achievement reporting doesn't match the armory reporting. Since the issue is now what I consider a long-standing one, my solution has been to stop worrying about it because this is obviously a low-priority fix on Blizzard's To-Do List.

One symptom of the armory display issues can be seen here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/blades-edge/Sufia/achievement#155:158:a284

Sufia, individually, completed this achievement as did many of my other alts. But note that not all of the sub-achievements have the green checkmark. Why not?

Because other characters got the non-checked masks before Sufia did? Why would that matter? In-game accounting shows all of them checked.

Or is it because those are JUST the masks she looted this year? How is that information helpful to me?

That may be because they had issues with that specific achievement tracker in the past, if I remember correctly. With that achievement however, each individual criteria of that is not its own achievement, and therefore is not causing you loss of achievement points. For your example, you should still have the proper amount of points earned for A Mask for All Occasions.

A different problem would be like what I am experiencing here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/Mulvark/achievement#95:14801:a1167

As you can see, I have earned Stormpike Perfection on Alliance - and even the Meta achievement recognizes that (though in-game it disagrees... further complicating things), however due to the way faction-specific achievements are flagged in the armory, I do not have the Horde equivalent and thus have even less Achievement Points in any of my Horde character's armory.
Edited by Mulvark on 11/4/2013 7:32 PM PST
90 Draenei Mage
My Horde total tally is currently 520 points less than my Alliance tally; my husband's Horde tally is currently 200 points less than Alliance. The task of trying to determine why seems so overwhelming that I've yet to delve into it as you have.

You are correct in saying I didn't lose achievement points on that particular achievement (so far as I can tell). I was merely citing the unchecked sub-achievements as one symptom of the bigger problem. I don't know whether there was ever an issue with that specific achievement but it was just one example I chose out of dozens with the same issue. It's my recollection from a rather cursory investigation I did some time back, that it doesn't seem to matter whether the sub-achievements are task-based, quest-based, or part of a true meta-achievement. The tracking is simply incorrect on the armory.

Another annoying issue is when you check the box to show only "this character's achievements" the character loses points for every account-wide achievement, regardless of whether that character earned it [e.g. Brewfest]. That's just wrong, imo!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]