Extortion by Living Steel

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I recently went through all the Professions and i found few recipes that required cross-profession ingredients but not at the magnitude of Blacksmith.

Any Blacksmith plan beyond 476 requires at least 3 Living Steel which due to its daily cooldown makes it the most expensive ingredient to purchase. I have never been able to craft a bar of any kind and return a 600%-1000% investment from any other profession like Living steel does.

So my questions are, Why is blacksmithing the only profession that requires large amounts of Living Steel? and, Why can't blacksmith or miners create Living steel as well? It would seem that metallurgy would be up their alley as well

To even out it needs Imperial Silk, Lightning Steel, etc. to be non-soulbound and a requirement to craft in all production professions or allow those who utilize the ingredients to create it as well i.e miners or blacksmith can make Living steel.

If there are other add them up and explain why
Edited by Froley on 4/27/2013 7:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Night Elf Hunter
It's always been like this since Vanilla. You pick a profession, get to the end game gear that you can create, and there's always that niggling factor of requiring something else from another profession. It prevents a monopolization of any given profession and creates a somewhat forced symbiosis with the other professions.

You either purchase from the AH what you need, have friends help create those items for you, or better yet, just make another toon with that other profession and focus in mind.

The other thing is that if those said components were to be BOE, the market would run rampant with people charging outrageous prices just for the materials alone. Now, that's not saying they won't for the end products, but the people with the money will decide that.

It's a preventative measure I see that's important and a necessary evil for the market to maintain some form of stability. They will never make those items BoE and I hope they never will. It takes the uniqueness and reliance on that profession away from them.

Engineering is just as bad, if not worse. Sure, we don't make alot of items that have are ACTUALLY useful ... yet. But the end result of what we need is the same.

It's how I see things. I'm not right or wrong, but just a perspective on many years of seeing these professions evolve the way they have. Just create an alchemist and start making the Living Steel so you can become self reliant if it seems to be bugging you.
Reply Quote
I have never been able to craft a bar of any kind and return a 600%-1000% investment from any other profession like Living steel does

not sure where you are getting that from. on your server living steel bar goes for ~515g and the mats cost ~475g. less than a 50g markup and certainly nowhere near 1000%.
Reply Quote
04/27/2013 11:44 AMPosted by Zachstab
I have never been able to craft a bar of any kind and return a 600%-1000% investment from any other profession like Living steel does

not sure where you are getting that from. on your server living steel bar goes for ~515g and the mats cost ~475g. less than a 50g markup and certainly nowhere near 1000%.

OP just so you know, Zach got that information using The Undermine Journal. You can explore your servers auction houses at this link below.

https://theunderminejournal.com/
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I was wondering what server has a 1000% mark up on Living Steel as I want to go there but I guess Zach's research saves me a transfer fee. 8D

Most days I don't even bother with my living steel cool down as it's simply not profitable enough. I'll do it for myself to keep some on hand but I have over 100 right now and am not really sure I need more.

OP, are you aware that we alchemists need to go to miner in order to get our ghost iron bars (it takes 60 to transmute for 6 Trillium bars) or the Trillium bars themselves? We don't live in a vacuum either, we rely on other professions as well.

Generally there is a nice profit markup between materials and finished product. If what you are making does not furnish you a profit then that could be a problem. Margins are extremely important and you should always be aware of the costs and how much items should be sold for before you even craft it.

I don't mine my own ore but I make a steady profit with Jewelcrafting by prospecting and knowing what to cut and sell.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
living steel mark up is very small on my server. it's only about 30G. the only time my transmuter makes money is on the occasional double proc.
Reply Quote
43 Worgen Mage
When Pandaria started living steel sold for 550 with the Ghost Iron costing 300-370. Eventually it got as low as selling for 330, less than the mats. This week its 430 in my AH, but I've gotten out of the habit of making it daily.

Why can't blacksmith or miners create Living steel as well? It would seem that metallurgy would be up their alley as well

Historically, metallurgy and the invention of a much stronger steel involved chemistry, and state of the art chemistry (for that period) at that. Miners and Blacksmiths were illiterate manual laborers, not equipped to learn chemistry and do the research.

Once it was invented, of course the creator could pass on the recipe and instructions to blacksmiths everywhere, but they wouldn't, since they then lost their ongoing profits (potentially large). They were probably more like like the masons, who kept their building methods secret for centuries, only revealed within their guild.

Oh, and the name for a chemist or metallurgist back then would be Alchemist.
Edited by Foxwizard on 5/1/2013 8:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
98 Human Death Knight
ii have both bs and alchemist they add a lil thing called cool down i went to buy one of this ideems on the ah it was 42,000 gold i can't put that kind of money in to making things i could never sell it
Edited by Helemkon on 5/3/2013 2:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
ii have both bs and alchemist they add a lil thing called cool down i went to buy one of this ideems on the ah it was 42,000 gold i can't put that kind of money in to making things i could never sell it

I'm not sure what you mean. Were you buying Living Steel or a finished product? Sometimes if no one else is listing a person will put something up for a ridiculous amount but it will quickly fall back to the regular price because people aren't going to pay outrageous prices.

The trick to profitability is to price your items for as much as you can get for them without making it more worthwhile for the person to go out and get the mats themselves then pay for someone else to make it. A 10 or 20% profit margin is totally acceptable and people will pay it to save time. A 2000% profit margin means people go find someone else because you've made it worth it to save gold instead of time.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
It's why I have every profession covered. I started playing at the start of Wrath and got tired of sitting around waiting for someone to log on who could make an enchant or whatever so I started rolling all of the professions so now I can make anything I need. You can do it too, it's not rocket science.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
"the mats cost 475g"

Whoa, Henry. What universe did you come from?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
It's why I have every profession covered. I started playing at the start of Wrath and got tired of sitting around waiting for someone to log on who could make an enchant or whatever so I started rolling all of the professions so now I can make anything I need. You can do it too, it's not rocket science.

yeah, the easy answer to lack of living steel, is just to roll an alchemist / transmuter, and make your own. even if your alch does nothing but farm 16 motes of harmony / day you have your daily living steel cool down + riddle of steel every 2 days. that's at least 10 bars a week, and probably more if you get any bonus procs.

else, maybe check with your guild / friends and see if any of them would trade you 10 living steel for the equivalent in ghost iron bars, or trillium bars.

it's a win for them if they don't have easy access to the metals, and whatever procs they get they keep.

win for you since you get living steel from something you can already make.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
"the mats cost 475g"

Whoa, Henry. What universe did you come from?

The universe of Hyjal server in April 2013. Perhaps you should learn to read post dates before you reply to 7 month old topics.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
When Pandaria started living steel sold for 550 with the Ghost Iron costing 300-370. Eventually it got as low as selling for 330, less than the mats. This week its 430 in my AH, but I've gotten out of the habit of making it daily.

Why can't blacksmith or miners create Living steel as well? It would seem that metallurgy would be up their alley as well

Historically, metallurgy and the invention of a much stronger steel involved chemistry, and state of the art chemistry (for that period) at that. Miners and Blacksmiths were illiterate manual laborers, not equipped to learn chemistry and do the research.

Once it was invented, of course the creator could pass on the recipe and instructions to blacksmiths everywhere, but they wouldn't, since they then lost their ongoing profits (potentially large). They were probably more like like the masons, who kept their building methods secret for centuries, only revealed within their guild.

You have NO idea what you're talking about. Historically, Blacksmithing was an incredibly skilled profession that was tightly regulated and monopolized because of the skill required. Alchemist didnt figure out how to make steel alloy and drag mankind from the iron age, blacksmiths did.

The original 'trade union' of mankind were early crafters guilds with blacksmithing at the forefront. Blacksmithing a heavily valued and well compensated activity well into the 18th century.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter

You have NO idea what you're talking about. Historically, Blacksmithing was an incredibly skilled profession that was tightly regulated and monopolized because of the skill required. Alchemist didnt figure out how to make steel alloy and drag mankind from the iron age, blacksmiths did.

The original 'trade union' of mankind were early crafters guilds with blacksmithing at the forefront. Blacksmithing a heavily valued and well compensated activity well into the 18th century.

Whew, was hoping someone would come along and respond to that post, only been sitting there for 7 months...bet the poster that posted the original quote will be so happy that she can finally walk away from the computer after waiting so long for someone to reply to her....

*And yes, Räzura, that was sarcasm, just so you will know and not post some kind of misguided history lesson again....
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Shaman
Engineering uses living steel also.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]