Overhealing a Blood DK

90 Night Elf Death Knight
This stems from my curiosity of how healers deal with healing a Blood DK in general. My only experience healing is leveling a paladin, and I had a warrior tank buddy to heal every step of the way. How healing works with other types of tanks is beyond me. But from what I understand, damage intake between a warrior and a DK is about as different as it gets.

With the way I usually heal, it would seem like I would have a lot of overhealing if I were healing a DK. With a warrior, as I see their health get to 40% or lower, I start casting a slow, big heal. I know they have enough health to last the duration of the cast, and the damage intake will not spike enough to kill them. But with a DK, they get to 40%, I start the big heal cast, and they Death Strike and are back up to 80%, which gives me some overhealing.

This is all in theory, as I'm just pondering outcomes. The root of my question is how do you experienced healers treat different tanks classes in your approach to healing them?
Reply Quote
This is all in theory, as I'm just pondering outcomes. The root of my question is how do you experienced healers treat different tanks classes in your approach to healing them?

Well this is my main so I don't really worry about it on this one as Atonement will heal them if they need it, and heal someone else who needs it if the tank does not. Buuuut. On my other healers... cancel casting is my friend. :) Yes it could still OH if it lands at the exact same time as their DS, but usually you can clip before it lands if you see they've topped themselves off.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
For me, it's highly dependent on the fight and my co healers and how well I "know" the dk in question.

When I'm healing a DK I have a feel for, I know how competent they are with their own health recovery, and I know that the class itself depends on it. Ideally, as disc, I use atonement quite often during down time. If the tanks are swapping and I know the DK appears to have used most of their regeneration skills and their runic power is low, I will not hesitate to heal them quickly.

It's more of a feel than a logical process.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I tend to "lay it on thick" with monks, as they tend to be a little more "streaky" than the plate wearers. I like having a good absorb shield on them at all times, in case the RNG gets mean with them.

DK's are on the opposite end of the spectrum, but it's very noticeable when their bloodshield drops for whatever reason, but I'll keep an instant in reserve just in case.

For me, it would be Faster/Lighter on the Monks (lots of HL, beacon someone else, or just liberally apply around the group since its near mana neutral), vs. Slow/Big on the DK's (HS/EF, with an occasional 3 HoPo WoG/EF, FoL if needed).

The other tanks are somewhere between those two extremes.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
For me, it's highly dependent on the fight and my co healers and how well I "know" the dk in question.When I'm healing a DK I have a feel for, I know how competent they are with their own health recovery, and I know that the class itself depends on it. Ideally, as disc, I use atonement quite often during down time. If the tanks are swapping and I know the DK appears to have used most of their regeneration skills and their runic power is low, I will not hesitate to heal them quickly.It's more of a feel than a logical process.

This is another aspect I am curious about. It would seem to me that the DK class would be the most dependent on knowing the personality and playstyle of the person at the keyboard, whereas with other tanks, they all behave a little more uniformly. Does this sound right?
Edited by Dkcolfy on 4/30/2013 9:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
A good DK on a hard hitting boss will drop low, death strike and heal themselves for a good 20% of their health and more with cds, and have a large bubble on themselves which will give you time to cast heals on them.

A good paladin, warrior, or monk will take smaller amounts of damage more often.

As for average hitting bosses it ends up being about the same. DKs switch to shotgunning death strike which gives smaller heal/shields more often and makes the damage they take seem more consistent.
Edited by Viena on 4/30/2013 9:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
04/30/2013 09:44 AMPosted by Dkcolfy
For me, it's highly dependent on the fight and my co healers and how well I "know" the dk in question.When I'm healing a DK I have a feel for, I know how competent they are with their own health recovery, and I know that the class itself depends on it. Ideally, as disc, I use atonement quite often during down time. If the tanks are swapping and I know the DK appears to have used most of their regeneration skills and their runic power is low, I will not hesitate to heal them quickly.It's more of a feel than a logical process.

This is another aspect I am curious about. It would seem to me that the DK class would be the most dependent on knowing the personality and playstyle of the person at the keyboard, whereas with other tanks, they all behave a little more uniformly. Does this sound right?

Well, I feel like DK's get closer to death than other tanks and "make it" simply because of how they work. And that takes trust between the healers and the tanks. If I know you're not an idiot, and will bring yourself back up, I can be less worried about you.

But same for all tanks in different ways. You have to get used to knowing that they'll do what they're supposed to do, in a timely manner.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm assuming this is from a raiding point of view so I'll approach it as such.

DK's don't need a lot of healing when it comes to single target boss fights, and when they do (if they're skilled) you often times will have enough time to use your long hard hitting spells. Every so often they seem to be prone to "spikes" that other tanks don't have, which often times is made up for with cooldowns. With every good DK tank I've been with, you usually can see it coming and they USUALLY give themselves enough room to play with so they don't die.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Spell choice advice:

Holy priest: Don't use Greater Heal unless you have Serendipity x2.
Disc priest: Don't use Greater Heal.
Druid: Don't use Healing Touch.
Monk: You don't even have a slow heal.
Shaman: Don't use GHW unless TW is up.
Paladin: Don't (usually) Beacon a DK.

DK healing advice:

If it's a good DK, you can pretty much ignore them. Heal the raid and let them take the AoE splash. Keep HoTs up on them. Throw a heal on them if you run out of other healing to do.

You can always pop a CD or a flash heal on them if you actually think they're in trouble. Most of the time, though, a good DK will just refuse to die no matter what you do. You hit them and they're all like "Ooh, hit me harder!"
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Our two main tanks last tier (when I was a Holy Paladin) were a Guardian Druid and a Blood DK. Our DK has since gone back to DOTTING ALL TEH THINGZ as a SPriest and I've taken over the tank role as a lolpally (good call from the flavor of the month class PoV I suppose), but I guess I have some insight here.

DK's don't need a lot of healing when it comes to single target boss fights, and when they do (if they're skilled) you often times will have enough time to use your long hard hitting spells. Every so often they seem to be prone to "spikes" that other tanks don't have, which often times is made up for with cooldowns. With every good DK tank I've been with, you usually can see it coming and they USUALLY give themselves enough room to play with so they don't die.

This is largely accurate. We were doing 25h content, and outside of some of the obvious fights (Empress, Lei Shi, etc.) where tank damage is insane, our Blood DK was not taking troubling amounts of damage or getting spiked down unless we were doing something strategically wrong or he was just having a derp moment (we all have them from time to time).

The biggest thing for both a Blood DK (who takes Purgatory) and the healers healing said Blood DK is for all involved parties to absolutely freak the hell out when Purgatory procs. Get an addon like RSA that will announce when Purgatory goes off in /yell (make sure to disable all the annoying crap that will go off by default, it can announce when you taunt or use Bone Shield and that's just silly), and make sure your healers will see that you're sitting there at 1 health and that they know to Flash Heal or w/e you up within that 3 second window before you die.

Outside of that... Blood DK mechanics aren't favorable in some situations, but I'm not sure that healers really have to react to that in a special way. They might see you taking more damage from Triple Puncture than a Pally or Monk (okay since we used Horridon I might as well say Pally, we rock that fight) but a decent healer will innately know how to deal with that extra damage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]