Healing and meters: Boss vs. trash?

100 Tauren Druid
04/29/2013 08:22 AMPosted by Sassinak
Healing meters are super useful in LFR.

Useful in the same way that basing thoughts on all baseball players on their performance in a high school baseball game is super useful. If all players involved are high school baseball players, then it's useful enough. But when the playing field is a mix of pro ball players, minor league players, college players, high school players, and some junior high school kid with a broken bat who thought it'd be "fun" to come paly ... then it's not so useful.
Reply Quote
96 Human Priest
Healing meters in LFR are good for exactly ONE thing: seeing if you have a healer who is AFK or not even trying.

Other than that, healing meters in LFR are a complete joke, trash or boss. I say this b/c I heal in LFR using ONLY Atonement heals... and I always come in first on the meters, typically by a large margin. This isn't just MSV, either - I regularly top the healing done, HPS, and absorbs in LFR ToT while ranking #4-5 on overheals using only Atonement. I know that I have absolutely no business being at the top b/c, let's face it, I'm a DPS character who jumps in as a healer b/c I don't want to wait in a 60 minute queue.

Thus, anytime someone tries to make a fuss about healing meters in LFR, just laugh in their face - they have no idea what they're talking about.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
The point was made that 'overall' meters don't mean anything because what matters is one's healing/dps on bosses. This is correct. No one cares about trash dps/hps even in real raids.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I afk trash in lfr. Do my part on boss encounters, but trash is my smoke time.
Was sad when they broke follow. Seems to stop after 20 sec or so.
Just saying.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
A DPS was giving a healer grief for being 4th healing on a boss (the last one).
Healer said he/she was ranked first for healing throught out the run. (Both true by my Recount.)

also man up and post on your main

pointless post. there's a time and a place for calling for main posting. this is so obviously not one of them.

LOL Seems to me this was that DPS or why would you post on an ALT ???
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
/agree with everyone that said lfr meters are useless except for figuring out when someone is afk. Also, you might be doing your best to do legitimate healing but then you get some jerk like me who spams and snipes their way to the top just to stay entertained while traversing that squalid hell hole that is LFR...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
tell the meter hors to fk off, politely of course

This!
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
In normal or heroic raid, meter still hv it's own function as we can know what spells does a healer use to heal the raid when all dps and tanks do correctly and still wipe. The HPS numbers still useful, it let us know which healer do sth wrong if there is a big diff on HPS. Diff on 20k HPS still reasonable, but if the diff > 50k HPS, then the healer hv done sth wrong or one of the healer out gear so much like when I heal LFR Garalon, I get 90k HPS, other healers < 40k HPS.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
04/27/2013 01:56 PMPosted by Mung

I don't necessarily doubt your objectivity, but I doubt somebody's objectivity. If there are four heals, there'll always be a fourth heals and this isn't in itself a problem. This is obvious enough that nobody would fight over it. Something else was going on and what we're discussing here probably has nothing to do with it.
Edited by Renunciate on 4/30/2013 7:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
7 Troll Priest
Healer said he/she was ranked first for healing throught out the run. (Both true by my Recount.)

also man up and post on your main

pointless post. there's a time and a place for calling for main posting. this is so obviously not one of them.

LOL Seems to me this was that DPS or why would you post on an ALT ???

I wasn't going to feed this troll. Truth is that your post was a "pointless post."

I was actually another healer on that run.

The reason I don't post on my main is because of my Guild's rules.
My main is on an RP server, in an RP guild.
It is against my guild's ethos to post OOC - to trade or general chat, to guild chat or to the forums.
We don't even have an OOC guild chat channel.
We don't use vent.

We purposely work to know as *little* about each other in RL. We don't know each others alts. We try to maintain a character's integrity and have little "bleed through" from RL or other parts of the game.

It's hard to ask a question about dps/healing meters IC.

So take your trolling elsewhere.

To all of the other people with helpful and thoughtful replies: Thank you!
Edited by Mung on 4/30/2013 7:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The problem with the meter is that it measures a few things. But you can't reasonably see what those things are just looking at the raw numbers.

1) Raw healing power (which is a byproduct of Spec & ilvl)
2) Timing (and more specifically latency with that timing)

I go through LFR every week in holy. After the boss dies (while the bonus roll is up), I swap spec to Prot, for the chance at gearing my offspec. My mainspec gear level is way overpowered for MV1/2. My offspec ilvl is sufficient to get in (474) but I would like a bit more before I play around in there.

If I queue up in there with 4-5 other healers who are ilvl appropriate (460-480), I'm going to stomp them on the meters, just from the gear differential.

The other piece is the timing. Pre-emptive healing (not just absorbs), or just getting that heal off a half second earlier can make a huge difference on where you line up on the meters. You go from great healing to massive overhealing, not from anything you did, but from 3 other people just having better network connections (or reflexes) that day. Throw in fight experience, and absorbs, and that can destroy the bottom two healers "relative" performance.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]