How do you feel active mitigation turned out and what would you do if you could change it?
We actually like it a lot. We want to make secondary stats (like haste is for paladins) more useful to all the tanks. We also might do something different with avoidance long term. It's functional but not as exciting as active mitigation in our opinion.
What are the two traditional 'Tank-only' secondary stats? Dodge and Parry
What are the two traditional 'DPS-only' secondary stats? Crit and Haste (Haste being great for Paladins is only true since 5.0)
Well, they are kicking around the idea of doing something different long term with avoidance, so I propose they simply get rid of it altogether from tank gear and just use the DPS stats in their place. Now, how would that work?
- Haste makes you move faster, right? Moving faster would probably make you harder to hit?
- Crit makes you more likely to wield your weapon in a manner that allows you to hit vital spots? One could argue then that this increased weapon proficiency translates into being able to better deflect incoming attacks with your weapon.
(Now, I'm not necessarily saying that 1% Haste/Crit == 1% Dodge/Parry for free. Maybe 50 or 75% of the 'dps' stat goes to what it actually is called, and only the other 50 or 25% goes towards the corresponding 'avoidance' stat. The actual values can be adjusted and tweaked by Blizz to find a happy balance as needed.)
And while it may seem crazy to just do away with traditional 'tanking' vs 'dps' plate and be left with only 'str' vs 'int' plate (The latter usable by only one spec out of 11 classes, but that's another issue entirely), it is not without two precedents:
1) Druids and Monks both use the exact same +agi leather for both physical DPS and tanking. Granted, the secondary stat weights vary by class/spec, but reforging/gemming/enchanting aside, they still use the base leather pieces.
2) Leather/Mail casters no longer having 'dps' vs 'healing' leather/mail. +Hit is no longer found on leather/mail, instead only having +Spirit, with the 'dps' specs getting a free spirit->hit passive
Anyways, it was a thought I've had in the back of my mind for a while, and with the recent comments by Blizz, I figured I'd write up a little blurb and put it out there.
[Edit: Adding stuff from the second page so if anyone looks at this for the first doesn't think I am ignoring active mitigation]
I'm sorry, I guess I only put half of my thoughts down in my OP. And since I don't have access to my authenticator at work, I had to wait until tonight to respond. I was really only referring to the Blue's comment of them taking another hard look at avoidance stats and suggesting how they could get rid of them and simply have plate tanks and dps effectively use the same armor like Druids/Monks and then have some mechanism to gain some residual avoidance.
I left out the same would apply to Druids/Monks as well.
And while this would indeed appear to be 'double dipping', I said that the actual conversion % can be tweaked and tuned as needed.
What I was not discussing was how the 'dps' secondary stats need to be made more attractive to tanks in terms of active mitigation, because that is another issue. But yes, the DPS secondaries need to all play a part in a tank's active mitigation or else they will be ignored just like dodge/parry are now, so since it was brought up, sure, let's examine some ideas:
[Reposting all of the suggestions exceeds the 5000 character limit per post, so I will snip the ideas for the 3 plate classes and leave them on the second page]
So, yeah, for the TLDR folks: Remove 'Tank' gear and just make all +Str class/specs use the same armor just like druids/monks. Then make the currently unattractive 'DPS' secondary stats useful for active mitigation if they currently are not.
The suggestion is nothing new or revolutionary, but it sounds like Blizz is considering the idea with their recent comments regarding avoidance stats on gear.