Prayer of Healing is dumb.

100 Human Priest
The default raidframes don't even group people by party anymore. Literally nothing is by-party except for Prayer of Healing. It's ridiculous that in order to use the spell optimally you still have to fiddle with parties. No one wants to do this and for good reason because it is dumb.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
The default raid frames do group people by party. Have you tried customizing them to your liking via the Interface menu?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Making it not party specific would ruin spirit shell. Unless they made it a smart heal and factored in shells already applied as well. I do not like this idea because it leads to brain-dead play.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Making it not party specific would ruin spirit shell. Unless they made it a smart heal and factored in shells already applied as well. I do not like this idea because it leads to brain-dead play.

If nothing else it should retain the party-specific nature when SS is active.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
If you're adjusting your frames because you use a unit-frame addon, I'd suggest making buddies with the raid leader so that you can set up your groups to match what reflects on your screen.

I do that in my group, and when I pug I just put up separate main tank/off tank frames and leave the unit frames to be represented to the party's that were given to me.

I use Elvui and generally sort by roll as follows:

MT - OT - Healer- Healer - Healer/off heals
Dps - Dps- Dps- Dps- Dps

Setting up the groups this way isn't too difficult. Though for some fights, I like to have my tanks with my melee dps. It depends.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
If you're adjusting your frames because you use a unit-frame addon, I'd suggest making buddies with the raid leader so that you can set up your groups to match what reflects on your screen.

I do that in my group, and when I pug I just put up separate main tank/off tank frames and leave the unit frames to be represented to the party's that were given to me.

I use Elvui and generally sort by roll as follows:

MT - OT - Healer- Healer - Healer/off heals
Dps - Dps- Dps- Dps- Dps

Setting up the groups this way isn't too difficult. Though for some fights, I like to have my tanks with my melee dps. It depends.

Okay see yes okay great its great that you do this thank you for your input.

But this is really dumb that you have to do this so Priests can use their AoE spell. Good job doing this. It's still dumb.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest

Do 5 nearest if you have to. It's dumb that it picks targets based on a nearly out of game arrangement of people. There Are Ways.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
04/26/2013 12:58 PMPosted by Mediatrix

Do 5 nearest if you have to. It's dumb that it picks targets based on a nearly out of game arrangement of people. There Are Ways.

Oh no, please don't do this.

You know how Halo is such a PITA to use effectively because of positioning?

Imagine that.... only... 500x worse. D:

And no problem. It's annoying that it's the last bit of group-based content that hasn't been accounted for in some way or adjusted.

The main reason for this, I figure, is because there isn't a workable solution that anyone can really think of at this time.

The reason I arrange my groups that way is because of raid strats. The player should adapt to the strat, not the other way around.
Edited by Naérdriel on 4/26/2013 1:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

They could simply buff PoH's party radius to 40 yards. That's a change that would really improve QoL on many fights!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
04/26/2013 01:03 PMPosted by Ceddya

They could simply buff PoH's party radius to 40 yards. That's a change that would really improve QoL on many fights!

I'd really like a PoH party radius buff myself...

It's always irritating when I see the one person's health shoot down and I'm like... hmm.. they definitely weren't in range of my PoH + Sshell.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest

Yes.
Reply Quote
97 Night Elf Priest
Yup.
But then people would probably abuse this in pvp.
cant make everyone happy!
it takes hard work and skill, dont mess with something that some are good at and take the pride away!
anyway, i agree, i think messing with this would just complicate using SS.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Yup.
it takes hard work and skill, dont mess with something that some are good at and take the pride away!

there's nothing negative toward SS about a 40yd radius and nothing skill based about healing 3 of 5 in a party because they're spread more than 30yds from the centermost person in that party.
It takes hard work and skill to do many things in life. PoH isn't one of them. It requires is babysitting the Raid to get the "random" spread to not be random. "Can we get group 3 on the left and group 4 on the right" only works if your "Skill" is having other players decide to alter their positioning priority for you.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Why is it dumb? It's the only spell letting you know exactly who you will aoe heal in the game.. making it very powerful because you can focus healing on specific group.

You already have no control over prayer of mending, circle of healing or cascade.

If you do healing assignments by group in a 25 man raid, this spell is godly.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Yup.

Prayer of Healing is almost never the right answer to any problem in PvP, IMO. Not a concern.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I think the simplest solution would be:

Prayer of Healing (4.5% mana, 2.5 sec cast) - A powerful prayer heals all members of your party or raid within 40 yards for 50,700 to 53,556 (+502.8% of SpellPower). This healing is evenly divided amongst all targets, but no single target can receive more than 20% of the total healing.

This would generate about 16% more healing, but it would be across the entire party/raid. This would get rid of the party limitation without adding yet another dopey targeting mechanism - and it would retain the usefulness of the spell for most purposes.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
I think the simplest solution would be:

Prayer of Healing (4.5% mana, 2.5 sec cast) - A powerful prayer heals all members of your party or raid within 40 yards for 50,700 to 53,556 (+502.8% of SpellPower). This healing is evenly divided amongst all targets, but no single target can receive more than 20% of the total healing.

This would generate about 16% more healing, but it would be across the entire party/raid. This would get rid of the party limitation without adding yet another dopey targeting mechanism - and it would retain the usefulness of the spell for most purposes.

I do not consider myself particularly qualified to speak on PvE concerns, but I cannot help but think that this is a gigantic buff that would make Spirit Shelling Disc Priests mandatory. With a decent amount of haste, you could stack that seven times across the whole raid via Spirit Shell - one Disc Priests could preabsorb 35k damage + Spell Power * Archangel to every member of a 10m raid before throwing in PW:S, and then it doubles as an actual smart heal when SS is on CD.

Edit: Doing a little math, in my PvP gear, this is 191,142 per cast. Divide by 10: 19k. Multiply by 7: 133k. Include healing mastery, +9.6%... Increase by another 10% for my crit... 160k to every member of a 10m raid. This is almost double the effect of my PW:S on every person on the raid. And it doesn't cause weakened soul, so of course I can drop said shield on the tank too.

Hi, we can now stand in the fire if the Disc Priest we bring is good enough. In return, I used 24% of my mana, factoring in regen but not spirit procs. 24% of my mana for my whole 10m raid to stand in the fire whenever they feel like.

For reference, Circle of Healing has a 10s CD, so it'd only go out once during this period of time, and it'd heal for 95k across five people. Per cast, it's weaker, and over a long period of time, it's weaker. Much weaker. And less efficient.

I'm not even well-geared or primarily raid-geared.
Edited by Fifira on 4/27/2013 4:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The default raidframes don't even group people by party anymore. Literally nothing is by-party except for Prayer of Healing. It's ridiculous that in order to use the spell optimally you still have to fiddle with parties. No one wants to do this and for good reason because it is dumb.

I Disagree. I want complete and utter control over who I heal and when I heal them. I don't want the game deciding for me. There are 3 types of AOE healing in the game.

Party - PoH
Group Area- Healing Rain, Pally Hammer, Efflorescence
Group Smart - Lightwell, Wild Growth, Chain Heal

It really is a unique playstyle that Disc has over the other healers and when you consider how powerful Disc is ATM you can't really argue that it's inferior. If anything it's better. As others have stated, it would ruin SS, it would also mess up things like IF/PoH for DA procs. Also because it is group based PoH is the only AOE heal that can heal people more than 40 yards out.

If you don't like the playstyle that is unique to disc there are other healing classes and specs that would better suit that style. The last thing we need is more homogenization between classes. I would like to retain whatever uniqueness we still have TYVM.
Edited by Odari on 4/27/2013 6:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Leave the prayer of healing as it is, tyvm. If you don't like the playstyle, there are 3 other classes that don't have a group based heal (although I wouldn't protest a 40 yard range on it). Prayer of Healing gives you control over who to heal. It is also a very strong spell when everyone is taking damage. I have a feeling that if PoH were made smart, they'd have to reduce the amount of healing it did or add a cooldown. (See what happened to CoH back in Burning Crusade.)
Edited by Mieme on 4/27/2013 10:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]