Prayer of Healing is dumb.

100 Blood Elf Priest
04/27/2013 04:00 AMPosted by Fifira
I do not consider myself particularly qualified to speak on PvE concerns, but I cannot help but think that this is a gigantic buff that would make Spirit Shelling Disc Priests mandatory. With a decent amount of haste, you could stack that seven times across the whole raid via Spirit Shell - one Disc Priests could preabsorb 35k damage + Spell Power * Archangel to every member of a 10m raid before throwing in PW:S, and then it doubles as an actual smart heal when SS is on CD.

Discipline Priests can already do exactly what you're describing. They just cast Prayer of Healing 3 times on each group.

For reference, Circle of Healing has a 10s CD, so it'd only go out once during this period of time, and it'd heal for 95k across five people. Per cast, it's weaker, and over a long period of time, it's weaker. Much weaker. And less efficient.

As it should be. Arguably, they need to make Circle of Healing/Prayer of Healing function like Flash Heal/Greater Heal - make Circle of Healing far more expensive, higher hps, but lower heal per cast.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
I do not consider myself particularly qualified to speak on PvE concerns, but I cannot help but think that this is a gigantic buff that would make Spirit Shelling Disc Priests mandatory. With a decent amount of haste, you could stack that seven times across the whole raid via Spirit Shell - one Disc Priests could preabsorb 35k damage + Spell Power * Archangel to every member of a 10m raid before throwing in PW:S, and then it doubles as an actual smart heal when SS is on CD.

Discipline Priests can already do exactly what you're describing. They just cast Prayer of Healing 3 times on each group.

For reference, Circle of Healing has a 10s CD, so it'd only go out once during this period of time, and it'd heal for 95k across five people. Per cast, it's weaker, and over a long period of time, it's weaker. Much weaker. And less efficient.

As it should be. Arguably, they need to make Circle of Healing/Prayer of Healing function like Flash Heal/Greater Heal - make Circle of Healing far more expensive, higher hps, but lower heal per cast.

Yes, I know we can already do what you're describing. But not remotely so efficiently as that. Did you look at the napkin math? You're proposing about six times (26k versus 160k) the amount of healing per individual person, with smart heal functionality, and it affects the whole raid, rather than being needed to cast per group. Even if they healed the same per cast, the Disc Priest is spending half as many cast-times to do this.

This is practically the difference between a Disc Priest's DPS and a Shadow Priest's DPS during HeroTime. Heck, no, I'm pretty sure it's even bigger than that.
Edited by Fifira on 4/27/2013 11:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
04/27/2013 11:08 AMPosted by Fifira
Yes, I know we can already do what you're describing. But not remotely so efficiently as that. Did you look at the napkin math? You're proposing about six times (26k versus 160k) the amount of healing per individual person, with smart heal functionality, and it affects the whole raid, rather than being needed to cast per group. Even if they healed the same per cast, the Disc Priest is spending half as many cast-times to do this.

I don't think you read the last line: "This healing is evenly divided amongst all targets, but no single target can receive more than 20% of the total healing". The numbers listed are the total healing provided by the entire spell. That healing is then evenly divided amongst all possible targets, with no target getting more than 20% of the total. Nor is it a smart heal - not sure where you got that from.

So the difference between casting PoH on every group individually and casting my version of PoH is that my version of PoH would provide 16% more healing with the same casting time.

The justification for the 16% more healing is that it makes PoH less versatile for covering anything but mass AE since it hits the entire raid at once.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
The justification for the 16% more healing is that it makes PoH less versatile for covering anything but mass AE since it hits the entire raid at once.

Mass AE has practically been featured on every fight this expansion. Turning PoH into a 40 yard Holy Radiance and giving it an additional 16% buff would create such balancing issues.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
04/27/2013 01:24 PMPosted by Ceddya

Mass AE has practically been featured on every fight this expansion. Turning PoH into a 40 yard Holy Radiance and giving it an additional 16% buff would create such balancing issues.

There is no 'additional'. You can certainly quibble over the 16% buff, but functionally there is no significant difference between casting a raid-wide 1/5th power PoH 5 times and casting one PoH on each of 5 groups.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
If PoH goes by proximity smart heal it will make the priest a much less interesting class to play. May as well play any class because every other class has smart heals and that's boring. I enjoy having a mixture of smart heals (coh, pom, atonement) and a strong direct targeted aoe spell. It sounds like you would rather play a class with all smart aoe heals. There are lots of those! I'm not trying to put you down, but I really strongly believe that PoH the way it is makes the priest class more complex, interesting and fun.

There is no 'additional'. You can certainly quibble over the 16% buff, but functionally there is no significant difference between casting a raid-wide 1/5th power PoH 5 times and casting one PoH on each of 5 groups.

well, it would take all of the identifying targets with 4 other players in range out of the game, and targeting period. it would essentially turn priest aoe healing into "press this button a few times with your eyes closed." do not want.
Edited by Tsilyi on 4/27/2013 2:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I actually like the way Spirit Shell functions right now in PvE but it's not that great for non-organized PvP.
I also don't really find myself casting PoH outside of SS or IF that often (especially on 3 heal fights).

I'm not really sure how changes can be made to one spell without making the other far less interesting though.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
I see the math error I made. Derp. Not the one you thought I made, but a similar one.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
well, it would take all of the identifying targets with 4 other players in range out of the game, and targeting period. it would essentially turn priest aoe healing into "press this button a few times with your eyes closed." do not want.

On the other side of the coin, it would make non-mass AE scenarios much more interesting. One of the problems with both Discipline and (to some extent) Holy, is how PoH has been rendered into the 'idiot button' used for virtually any situation that isn't tank healing. If it were raid-wide, this wouldn't be the case since you couldn't use it to effectively heal 7/25 damaged players, 3 in the same group.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
Prayer of healing being limited to only party members is stupid. The problem is most of the solutions are more stupid.

For disc in its current state, PoH is barely worth using when you can hit everyone in a party. The spell is just in serious need of a rework, and unfortunately smart healing and proximity probably aren't the best solution.

Just my thoughts!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
It's definitely frustrating when you have groups that consist of a tank, 1 melee, and 3 ranged or on encounters that require everyone to spread out. Increasing the range of PoH to 40 yrds would be a welcome change.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]