How to heal as a disc priest?

83 Blood Elf Priest
Hi everyone, I'm new to healing as I've only ever done DPS and dabbled in tanking.

I've chosen to go a disc priest and I'm really loving it so far.

I'd just like to ask others' opinions on how they heal/how you should heal as a disc priest (specifically in 5 man dungeons as that is what I am currently doing to level).

I think there is a possibility I spam Power Word: Shield a little too much? Is this normal for a disc priest? How do you heal as a disc priest? What I've been doing is Flash Heal for a quick "Oh sh*t" heal, Penance for minor damage, and Greater Heal for when more damage is taken, and then keeping PW:S active on players who are taking damage. Is this OK? Some other more specific questions I have are:

Do you keep PW:S up and active constantly, or do you only use it sometimes? Or only for players who are taking damage? Do you PW:S the tank? - is this wrong?

How do you use your other healing spells in an instance?

Do you DPS the enemies so that you can gain healing bonuses, or do you just concentrate on healing the players?

Thanks so much for any help for a n00b healer! ;)
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Level 40? Do what the dude above me said. Or Just spam flash heal and PWS while eating a hot dog.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Priest
lol thanks Bannidles, it's a bit like that isn't it?! However, I'm not going to be level 40 forever so was looking for some tips for when I've levelled.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
When you level everything will change completely. Your stats dirastically change. You're mana regen is a 1000 times better so you can spam your bubble a bit more. You also get many many more tools you don't even have access to. If you want a detailed guide i can link some Youtube video's for you just let me know.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
lol thanks Bannidles, it's a bit like that isn't it?! However, I'm not going to be level 40 forever so was looking for some tips for when I've levelled.

=) Things change, you're quite right!

Here's the crash course on disc:

http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1837
This guide is well done and thorough.

Make good friends with DBM, and use it to effectively use your Spirit Shell.
Make good friends with Weak Auras, and use it to effectively take advantage of nearly everything.
Make good friends with a healing addon, become familiar with the dispel-able debuffs and how they show up on your UI.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]