I'm enjoying monk tanking

75 Pandaren Monk
I just returned to the game a week or so ago and have enjoyed everything about monk.

Playing 1 character since vanilla my Paladin. My only real reason I kept going on it was achievements, pets, mounts. I didn't want to start at square 1 again. But now that achievements/pets/mounts are roughly shared i'm venturing to other classes.

Monk tanking has been very enjoyable. As far as higher level goes how are they compared to other tanks? Strenghts? Weaknesses? Anything I should look forward too?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
I'm surprised in 4 expansion that you only played one character. I still don't have a 90 because I keep switching between all my toons.
Reply Quote
75 Pandaren Monk
I'm surprised in 4 expansion that you only played one character. I still don't have a 90 because I keep switching between all my toons.

I take pride in my paladin, I just really enjoyed the gameplay and farming rep/vanity items pvp and whatnot.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Monk tanking has been very enjoyable. As far as higher level goes how are they compared to other tanks? Strenghts? Weaknesses? Anything I should look forward too?

BrM + Pally is probably the strongest raiding combo this tier imo. My old tank will continue to collect dust so long as my Monk remains this fun and awesome to play.
Reply Quote
75 Pandaren Monk
05/02/2013 08:50 AMPosted by Rikimu

BrM + Pally is probably the strongest raiding combo this tier imo. My old tank will continue to collect dust so long as my Monk remains this fun and awesome to play.

are you a dual wield monk tank? stacking crit? or are you in a mix set of gear?

Cuz i mean if 40% crit is how monk tanks are... sick!
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Be prepared for it to be more difficult than your paladin. You will pull awesome dps and basically no tank can pull more threat than you once you get vengeance but the learning curve is set a lot higher than other tanks.
Reply Quote
75 Pandaren Monk
Be prepared for it to be more difficult than your paladin. You will pull awesome dps and basically no tank can pull more threat than you once you get vengeance but the learning curve is set a lot higher than other tanks.

Learning curves won't bother me much.

I know i'll have to manage my parry from kicking, evasive brew, guard, staggers, my self purifies and all that.

My only real cluelessness about this class is how boss mechanics have changed since i have been gone since firelands. I want to get in LFR and guild raids asap, so i'll hafta learn entire instances of mechanics lol.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk

- I DW as preference but for BrM you generally want to use the best iLevel weapon you get get a hold of. I have droods that want the 2H so I hold off for 1H weapon drops. DW is also superior for WW spec.
- I stack Crit, only need stam/mastery if you are undergeared for content or pushing 25m heroics.
- BrM and WW gear the same so there is no real benefit of mixing your gearing and geming choices.
Edited by Rikimu on 5/2/2013 11:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
75 Pandaren Monk
05/02/2013 11:57 AMPosted by Rikimu

- I DW as preference but for BrM you generally want to use the best iLevel weapon you get get a hold of. I have droods that want the 2H so I hold off for 1H weapon drops. DW is also superior for WW spec.
- I stack Crit, only need stam/mastery if you are undergeared for content or pushing 25m heroics.
- BrM and WW gear the same so there is no real benefit of mixing your gearing and geming choices.

Wonderful thnx for the info. I was surprised that i didn't see monk gear with dodge, or anything like that on it. I guess it's right that they are geared as a dps tank lol. You just have to learn to manage all your cooldowns/avoidances to be a successful tank.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Leather has never had "tank" stats on it and even Bear's don't stack dodge right now. You'd be better off stacking mastery than ever getting parry or dodge.

Plus Crit fuels Elusive Brew which fuels our 2P for +12% shuffle anyways so it's almost always the better choice.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Welcome to the club. I was a long time paladin as well, but got sick of pretty much everything they did after wotLK. Monks are fun, you know.. like paladins used to be before holy power.. and inquisition... and 4 sec cd CS.... ahem.. anyway...

BrM/WW only get better at end game. As for strengths/weaknesses:

Strengths: highest damage tank in game, takes less overall damage than other tanks, has the highest skill cap but also the highest potential of the tanks.

Weaknesses: Spiky damage intake, No 50% damage cd, only 1 20% cd without Symb, weak aoe survivability.

personally i found soloing old content to be the best training tool for BrM, nothing teaches you how to play a class like trying to solo Rags :D
Edited by Mönk on 5/2/2013 3:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
75 Pandaren Monk
Welcome to the club. I was a long time paladin as well, but got sick of pretty much everything they did after wotLK. Monks are fun, you know.. like paladins used to be before holy power.. and inquisition... and 4 sec cd CS.... ahem.. anyway...

BrM/WW only get better at end game. As for strengths/weaknesses:

Strengths: highest damage tank in game, takes less overall damage than other tanks, has the highest skill cap but also the highest potential of the tanks.

Weaknesses: Spiky damage intake, No 50% damage cd, only 1 20% cd without Symb, weak aoe survivability.

personally i found soloing old content to be the best training tool for BrM, nothing teaches you how to play a class like trying to solo Rags :D

That's something i was curious about, i know i always see DK videos of them soloing old and current content. How are monks when it comes to soloing old content?
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
That's something i was curious about, i know i always see DK videos of them soloing old and current content. How are monks when it comes to soloing old content?

Probably only a little behind DK's from what I've seen, 2nd best for sure. Considering Expel Harm loses it's CD any time you are < 35% life you have no excuse dying to anything but a MoP raid boss.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I used to be ALL DPS ALL THE TIME.

Warlock, Death Knight, Mage, a little bit of priest, hunter! Always dpsing all the time.

I could not play a tank, I could only barely tolerate playing a healer for the longest time.

Then the monk was released, and I have not done anything but tank ever since.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk

We're very close behind Blood DK's, and with the right gear/skill you can solo any previous expansion content, or current expansion heroic dungeons.
Reply Quote
basically the two set in T15 gives you 12% less dmg when you use EB which you gain from crit so stacking crit will basically give you 12% mastery on top of more avoidance as crit is our best avoidance stat, also method AND BL used BMs for their world first and second (25 man) kills on H Lei Shen.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]