Death Siphon (Unholy PVE)

90 Worgen Death Knight
Ok so I just noticed something the other day and tested it out. Death Siphon hits significantly harder than Scourge Strike. I'm primarily a tank but my dps ilvl is 492. I did Durumu on LFR and used it whenever I could. Siphon hit for 40k on average and Scourge hit for 26k on average. They both generate 10 runic power. They both cost 1 rune (Siphon is actually a death rune, but in unholy you use death runes on scourge strike anyways). I see no reason why doing the normal unholy rotation but putting Siphon in whenever death runes are up wouldn't be a dps increase. Any thoughts or comments?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Don't worry, it will be nerfed into oblivion once this becomes public knowledge.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Aside from the initial hit, scourge strike does additional damage as shadow. This damage scales with unholy mastery, and a lot of the times can end up being significantly more than the initial scourge strike damage. The initial hit may be less the siphon, but the overall damage sure isn't
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Ok so scratch the previous statement. Skada counts the shadow portion of the scourge strike as a scourge strike, thus lowering the average hit by a large amount. I beat up on a dummy for a while and scourge hit for an average of 24k + 16k from the shadow portion and siphon only hit for 32k. Scourge > siphon by a lot. This guy's just a little stoopid.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Scourge Strike also has a shadow portion of it.
Reply Quote
60 Dwarf Death Knight
Ok, so scourge strike > siphon is established.

Is death siphon just a terrible choice for any DK dps spec compared to death pact? Does it have ANY uses in PvE as a dps spec?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Now that the DK DPS 2 piece zandalari people can be used with death pact, I see no reason not to choose death pact
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight

Is death siphon just a terrible choice for any DK dps spec compared to death pact? Does it have ANY uses in PvE as a dps spec?
You could use it when out of range (like elegon pillars), but mostly it's useless. Fun to play around with though!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Well it's definitely not a move you should place in your regular rotation, but it can be a very effective heal in certain situations where bosses take extra damage like when Wargod is up during the Horridon encounter or maybe after a Static Burst from Jin'rokh. The only problem is that it might not be available when needed. Every spec should take Pact in almost every situation though.

Honestly, DK talents in MoP have been one of the most disappointing things about this expansion for me. There are no new fun abilities like most classes have. It's pretty cut and dry what talents to use and really the only meaningful decision is the level 75 rune regen selection. Sadly, Blood Tap has proven to be hands down the most useful except for 2H Frost going with RE which is what they already had before. Our talents are really sad, show us some love before MoP ends, Blizz. I shed a tear every time I see a Glaive or a Halo or a Holy Hammer or a Healig Totem. It makes me instantly use my Gorefiend's Grasp which is the single best ability in the game at displaying the most "Immune" messages on the screen at once...QQ
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SoF
I miss the ghoul second life in Wrath's unholy tree.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

Yeah it has its uses. When soloing stuff as unholy and you need a method of healing thats reliable and not a 2min CD, its good. In a raid environment, current content, DP is better for the 'panic heal'. Also good for questing if you like to pull a lot of mobs. Pop a DSi in once in a while if DSuccor isn't doing enough.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
I kinda feel like Death Siphon is kinda "meh" compared to Death Pact and Conversion. I wonder if it would perform better if it were moved to another tier and cost RP to cast, or otherwise bundled in some sort of life-leeching effect to Death Coil or Scourge Strike.

As it is, it feels like Unholy has a lot more buttons to track than Frost does, but is significantly less effective until you hit the highest gear levels.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]