I need some pvp help.

90 Blood Elf Mage
I play frost for pvp, it's a ton of fun. However, I'm having a really hard time against certain classes/specs.

The worst ones are:

Hunters

Shadow Priests

Rogues (shadowstep rogues mostly)

Feral Druids

and Frost Death Knights.

I get that mages have counters, every class does, but I would at least like to put up some kind of a fight against these classes.

So, could any of you better mages give me some strategies you use against these classes? What cc you trinket, what spells you save CS for, how you counter their CDs, things like that. I've tried a few different approaches to beat these classes/specs, and I just seem to get my !@# handed to me every time.

Also, feel free to armory me if you think that'll help. Tips reguarding my gear/spec are welcome. Anything to give me a fighting chance.

Edited: Forgot to mention Feral Druids
Edited by Azradath on 4/27/2013 10:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
I can't help you but I am surprised feral isn't listed there!
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Feral can kill you in 4 seconds if you are not careful with your defensive cooldowns.
A lot of help is Skill capped (google it) its a monthly cost for the videos but they are worth it big time.

Check it out. I know you can get a small sample of their stuff on youtube
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
If they out gear you they should wreck you but if there in the same gear as you the only classes that should be tough are a good feral and a good hunter!as far as dks go force there trinket by deep freeze kite kill your next deep is up then right before you deep the second time pop ur cds and counter spell them(this prevents them from popping ice bound fortitude) you should get them kill them in this deep or get them dn close to it! Watch cartoons videos on YouTube he plays frost and is quite helpful
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
If they out gear you they should wreck you but if there in the same gear as you the only classes that should be tough are a good feral and a good hunter!as far as dks go force there trinket by deep freeze kite kill your next deep is up then right before you deep the second time pop your cds and counter spell them(this prevents them from popping ice bound fortitude) you should get them kill them in this deep or get them dn close to it!

Err.. no, any mediocre Feral or hunter with a brain can beat good mage they just counter the class really hard. Frost DKs are impossible to get away from with double grip and chains constantly immobilizing you. However what i usually do when i fight rogues is instant pet freeze them when they open and blink away. I wouldn't blow any major cooldowns until they pop Cloak of Shadows. If they smoke bomb i usually send my orb of frost into the bomb to stop their re-stealth. Good luck :)
Edited by Hazefyre on 4/27/2013 9:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I can't help you but I am surprised feral isn't listed there!
I didn't even think about ferals... Yes, I have trouble with them too, but I don't really run into them that often (thankfully).

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll check out skill capped, and Cartoons' videos
Edited by Azradath on 4/27/2013 12:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I play frost for pvp, it's a ton of fun. However, I'm having a really hard time against certain classes/specs.

The worst ones are:

Hunters

Shadow Priests

and Frost Death Knights.

I get that mages have counters, every class does, but I would at least like to put up some kind of a fight against these classes.

So, could any of you better mages give me some strategies you use against these classes? What cc you trinket, what spells you save CS for, how you counter their CDs, things like that. I've tried a few different approaches to beat these classes/specs, and I just seem to get my !@# handed to me every time.

Also, feel free to armory me if you think that'll help. Tips reguarding my gear/spec are welcome. Anything to give me a fighting chance.

Can somebody give this man an in depth answer or link
Reply Quote
Against hunters, eat trap

Against spriest, cs insanity

Against rogue, ice ward helps

I !@#$ on frost dks
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

The worst ones are:

Hunters

Shadow Priests

and Frost Death Knights.

Can somebody give this man an in depth answer or link
^ Would very much appreciate it :D
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
just kill them all in a deep
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Well you are in pve gear right now i assume you do have pvp gear though.

A good mage can beat any class, although hunters do counter us the hardest.
1v1 vs hunter you need to be invis for the start of the fight, pom would help, and it's gonna be about doing as much damage as possible when you aren't in your ice blocks ( yes you will have to block twice)

Pet nova him out of stealth > deep freeze him *will likely beast mode* > pom poly his pet (if he's good he'll trinket if not you have a chance) > ice block the power shot > trinket scatter > blink any stun > root him orb > you will be ice blocking as soon as you don't have DF/ barrier and you start taking dmg, come out cold snap after you nova his pet for more health and extra nova> nether tempest might be easiest so you don't have to cast at all it'll be NT > ice lance > deep freeze > pom poly > novas (all instants)

You CAN beat a feral, but it will be difficult.
Again you'll early block once he pops his super kitty form, or gets you stuck in a stun you cant trinket/blink out of.
Blazing speed will be key. The fight will go something like...
blink his opener > blazing speed his leap > deep freeze him at ranged > frost bomb *or NT*> nova last second for crit with FB or just kite with NT using FFB at will waiting for deep freeze again to throw your orb on top of him.
Helpful things you can do are spell steal his preditor swiftness buff, CS him whenever he does get it, or when he tries to heal or clone you. Other than that it's all damage midigation and instants spam.

All of the other classes you listed are very beatable, although they all do a lot of damage and it requires you to use your defensives wisely chaining your offensives as best you can.

Rogue fights are almost the exact same every time, and it's up to you to adapt to any small changes between rogues, but tips vs them is to ruin their opener and you win.
As soon as he opens with his silence pet nova yourself > trinket the silence > blazing speed away (all of that needs to be done almost at the same time as none of it will trigger a global)
They vary here he might cloak the root, he might vanish it. Basically know he's about to be on you again. (You're still at 100% life) if he cloaks and steps to you blink nova if you arent stunned and walk away (stay within 10 yards or his throws will own you) if he stuns you blink it. Basically he's going to get another stealth... You will block his next opener, pet nova him, poly if you can. HE MIGHT vanish again before you can cast poly if not cast poly get him stuck set up a full burst on him with bomb > frost bolt > df > ice lance spam> orb

If he does vanish you'll just need to use cold snap for a heal blink out of any stun you can, keep him at a distance best you can because he'll be out of cooldowns and all you have to do is kill him.

You shouldn't lose to a DK in a 1v1 in arenas they do give us hell though. Silence him on your deeps so he can't icebound, or silence him at ranged so he can't grip either way. You are blocking his damage he is about to pound into you when he grips you if you don't have blink or blazing speed to get away. Other than that you just freeze him and pound away until he runs out of cds.

priest are a bit tricky some times glyph of ice block is really good vs them. As you can ice block his big damage, when he dispels it you have 3 seconds of immunity to him. You can get a full cast of cc or damage off, and you don't take any more spell damage for 3 seconds. A lot of times you can eat their silence with that. Steal their shields and heals. Run from their pet they pop, silence their insanity, or block it. Don't be afraid to block early. It's much better to win using two blocks + cold snap than to lose only using one ice block at low health.

The grammar in this post is awful I know, but I don't care. The over all tips for fighting high damage classes like these is using ice block very early so you can use it a second time and maintain your health. In arenas these are going to be a bit different because you'll have a healer and a partner that can peel for you, but as far as 1v1 and knowing how to screw the class it's about like that.

Review quick read:
hunter --> poly his pet, block his big damage pet bursts, or power shot
rogue --> stop his openers at any cost
priest --> steal his shields, silence his damage, never sit a fear, and glyph of ice block is your friend
feral --> get the trinket, kite, kite, kite, kill him in a df
dk --> never get close enough for him to touch you if he does touch you block.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Well you are in pve gear right now i assume you do have pvp gear though.
My pvp gear should show now, and thank you for the reply. That was just the kind of answer I was hoping for :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]