Which classes can't hit 1#DPS in raids?

In 10/25 heroic raiding?

I like the challenge of being the best but from past exp I know that all classes are not created equal and no amount of gear/skill can make up for it. I have been away since end of wotlk so I am not up to date on the current dps meta. Just curious if there are still classes that still are not able to reach that number one spot. Thanks :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
"Which classes can't hit 1#DPS in raids"

Holy priest
Resto Druid
Resto Shaman
Disc Priest
Holy Paladin
Whichever monk spec is the healer spec
A Rogue using only bandages and no other items or abilities.
Edited by Mazurkaa on 4/30/2013 7:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
People are going to rush in and tell you X or Y Spec that can't, however just about every spec of every class is viable enough to compete in Heroic Raiding. The average guild isn't going to sit you because you're a Ret Paladin as opposed to Fury Warrior.

Are there classes that beat out others? Yeah, but that's always going to be the case. Currently however our balance for PVE is very tight with only a few specs lagging behind and a few pulling ahead. There's not some major block stopping players from play spec X or spec Y.
Reply Quote
Bandages OP mang u got no idea.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Bandages OP mang u got no idea.

You joke but sir/madam I swear to you the other night running 2vs2 for fun with a friend ran into a player in arena that with one tick of a bandage went from 10% to 100%. I suspect it may not have been legit. Wish I had taken a screenshot but me and partner were to busy trying to figure out what the hell happened was a very strange match.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Being able to hit #1 in a particular group depends a lot more on the skill level and raid composition than anything else. Even "bad" specs played by really skilled players in a group of not-so skilled can lead the meters. Or you could just happen to have a raid full of "bad" specs because people play the specs they enjoy. If you want to go with the assumption of equal gear and skill (which is so extremely improbable as to be non-existent) as well as power-gaming to maximize meter standing then you might want to glance at the rankings on sites like WoL or raidbots.
Reply Quote
Being able to hit #1 in a particular group depends a lot more on the skill level and raid composition than anything else

And gear level . . . I pugged into two different ToT groups this last week. The first group I was consistently middle of the DPS charts on every pull. The second group, I outgeared their DPS and there was no competition to me topping the charts. Does this mean that Frost mage is better than the specs they were in?

No, I just had 15 ilevels on most of them. . .

That said, Warlock, DK, and Assassination are the specs with the most consistently top parses right now. Fire Mage does really well once you have full 520+ gear, but under performs at lower gear levels.
Reply Quote
81 Human Death Knight
People are going to rush in and tell you X or Y Spec that can't, however just about every spec of every class is viable enough to compete in Heroic Raiding. The average guild isn't going to sit you because you're a Ret Paladin as opposed to Fury Warrior.

Are there classes that beat out others? Yeah, but that's always going to be the case. Currently however our balance for PVE is very tight with only a few specs lagging behind and a few pulling ahead. There's not some major block stopping players from play spec X or spec Y.

Completely wrong, there is a huge gap between the haves and the have nots right now. Over 20% in some cases. There are classes getting sat for normal much less heroic.

OP, just go to Raidbot and look for yourself.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
There are classes getting sat for normal much less heroic.

If you get sat for normals you're either not that good or your raid is a bunch of tryhard downies
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Completely wrong, there is a huge gap between the haves and the have nots right now. Over 20% in some cases. There are classes getting sat for normal much less heroic.

This, except the exact opposite of everything he said.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Depends on who you run with.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk

No, he's right that there is a substantial gap between the "haves" at the top and the "have-not" basement dweller specs. Claims that specs are being sat for normal are probably exagerated though.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
well from my personal experience its skill dependant but DK's are rather high on the meters this toon is about 20ilvl below my main (warlock) and on single target fights this Toon pushes more dps, but your traditional Mage,warlock are always safe bets for top 5 dpsers
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
man, if you don't think a holy priest can top meters, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

although possibly in heroic t15, since the holy priest would gcd cap his smites (which effectively hard caps him, since then he has to start stacking spirit and mastery which do NOTHING for his dps), he wouldn't be able to do it anymore.

So go pretend that heroic windlord is still current and watch those holy priests out dps everyone.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman

Except he is completely and 100% right, unlike you. I could be wrong but I have to imagine your knowledge of this game and its mechanics are rather shallow to be making ignorant comments like this.

Now I am not claiming that a ret paladin cannot beat a warlock in his casual allstar guild but that is hardly indicative of how well off a class is. Theoretically if all people had the exact same skill level then the #s on a site like raidbots are actually pretty (but not 100%) accurate depiction of top end class dps for the tier they are sampling from. Trying to claim otherwise shows a clear lack of understanding of not only this game but trivial statistic applications.

Having said that there are some things classes provide which benefit the raid greatly such as smoke bomb. Good thing rogues are also top melee dps on almost all ToT fights too. Balance.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The issue comes in when your not even remotely close. For example: Last night on our best pull our top dps in a 13:04 fight was doing 286k dps. That was a deathknight in unholy presence on heroic horridon 25man. Our part time raiding dk was sitting at 239k dps, he only shows up when we really need another person.

Meanwhile, using myself as an example. I am sitting around 167k dps. They are simply better off bring in an alt dk over taking a windwalker monk with them. He is likely to do better overall damage.

There is a point in which it simply isn't worth taking other classes with you. I guess, I could be doing something wrong. But, minor errors on a windwalker monk quickly kill off your dps.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Except he is completely and 100% right, unlike you. I could be wrong but I have to imagine your knowledge of this game and its mechanics are rather shallow to be making ignorant comments like this.

Now I am not claiming that a ret paladin cannot beat a warlock in his casual allstar guild but that is hardly indicative of how well off a class is. Theoretically if all people had the exact same skill level then the #s on a site like raidbots are actually pretty (but not 100%) accurate depiction of top end class dps for the tier they are sampling from. Trying to claim otherwise shows a clear lack of understanding of not only this game but trivial statistic applications.

There is not a "huge gap" between the "haves" and "have-nots". Raidbots is a terrible metric to compare classes against each other. And classes are not getting sat in normal modes based on performance issues. So yes, literally everything in the post I quoted was wrong.
Reply Quote
The difference between the ABSOLUTE top spec and the absolute lowest spec is 20.8%. That's from the very top to the very bottom. So "over 20% in some cases" is accurate only if you are counting from the #1 spec to the #32 spec-- any other gap is less. (and that lowest spec has a spec of the same class that is much closer).
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
05/01/2013 09:34 AMPosted by Youn
They are simply better off bring in an alt dk over taking a windwalker monk with them.

There is a point in which it simply isn't worth taking other classes with you. I guess, I could be doing something wrong. But, minor errors on a windwalker monk quickly kill off your dps.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-1bfev9dbf6ztyufb/sum/damageDone/?s=1961&e=2646#Vex

lolololololololololololololololololololololololol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]